PDA

View Full Version : Broke my 1210, HELP!!!!

MCRU
05-02-2011, 15:51
Took the plinth off to wire a new DC cable, and put the Technoarm back on as I had taken it off to try on thr Garrard but it would not fit, put everything back where it should be, put platter back on, shit it won't rotate without a struggle, what have I done? Centre spindle rotates freely but not with platter on, have to force it to move round, thought something was catching from undernetah but does not appear so, its as if the platter has dropped a few mm's and is scraping the inside of the deck as it moves round.

What I though may have happened is when I look at the centre of the platter where the hole is, is there supposed to be a small sleeve in the centre or is it supposed to be a plain hole?

Ammonite Audio
05-02-2011, 18:47
If you removed the PCB, it sounds like you've dislodged the bearing so it's sitting incorrectly or askew. Easily done and easily sorted.

MCRU
05-02-2011, 19:38
It looks worse than that as I have no power going to the deck, I can tell if there is power by pressing the button that brings the small light up as all other lights are dis-abled. It does not light up, I put a new dc plug on and re-soldered the red wire to the top where its supposed to go and soldered the other wire to the earth tag, wired the dc plug up correctly red in the centre and black at the bottom, nothing. PSU is working.

MCRU
05-02-2011, 20:04
I have found out that the armboard was not positioned exactly right and was rubbing on the platter so that issue is resolved, now I can spin the platter but have no power?

How much is a new PCB does anyone know?

Thx

Reid Malenfant
05-02-2011, 20:06
Have you actually checked with a volt meter that power is getting to the PCB? I bet not ;)

MCRU
05-02-2011, 21:10
Thanks Mark,
A bit of an eye opener for others as well, it was the dc plug I think that did not go into the hole deep enough on the PSU, I had to go into the dustbin and get the timestep cable back out from amongst the special curry I just disposed of, well there was only a bit left but the cable stinks of it!

Is there such a thing as a gold plated audio grade cryo'd dc plug then?

Reid Malenfant
05-02-2011, 21:17
:D I doubt it, those things really are cheap & nasty in all honesty. You'd be far better off fitting something like a quality insulated phono socket on the PSU & a decent plug on the cable or better yet XLR plug & socket ;)

Sounds like you have it working again, i'm pleased :)

Techno Commander
05-02-2011, 21:19
Sounds like there are numerous lessons to be learned from this escapade. :)

Good result though.

Marco
05-02-2011, 21:35
Wow, daftee-nut, you had me worried there! :eek: :eyebrows:

Marco.

chris@panteg
06-02-2011, 10:06
Hi David

Glad to hear you got it working again , and i thought i was bad at cocking things up and meddling:eyebrows:

MCRU
06-02-2011, 10:20
Well the AOS is to blame as you lot got me into this Techie thing and I am so obsessed now with tweaking, got a Mana acoustics stand the other day and that has worked wonders, the DC plug issue is not pleasant though, cheapo crap from China I bet, a few microns smaller than it should be, anyway I have a new idea now as hinted at above, fit a Furutech XLR socket instead of the standard one if there is enough room inside, sorted.

Wakefield Turntables
06-02-2011, 10:45
Well the AOS is to blame as you lot got me into this Techie thing and I am so obsessed now with tweaking, got a Mana acoustics stand the other day and that has worked wonders, the DC plug issue is not pleasant though, cheapo crap from China I bet, a few microns smaller than it should be, anyway I have a new idea now as hinted at above, fit a Furutech XLR socket instead of the standard one if there is enough room inside, sorted.

The timestep power supply has the usual IEC connector and what looks like an XLR connctor which is then soldered onto the 1210's main PCB. Why not remove both of these and simply solder two lots of silver from the technics 1210 PCB to the timesteps intrinsic power supply on the PCB and then remove the intrinsic IEC from the timestep PCB and again solder form timestep PCB several silver lines into a decent plug. Voila, you'll have removed the need for a XLR connection and also the nasty IEC which is supplied by timestep. This is where my next set of upgrades will be when I've stopped messing around with this weekend's tweaks!! This may not be the most technical explanation but I kind of understand this in my head!!!!

chris@panteg
06-02-2011, 10:46
You have got it bad David :) i remember a little cartoon skit that new hifi sound did back in the 80's , about a mad tweeker constantly getting into mishaps and annoying his sensible (thorens/quad owning) dad .

Marco
06-02-2011, 10:58
Morning tweaky-boy ;)

If you can fit an XLR socket to the Timestep, then do it baby, as that's what should've been there if Mr Cawley had done his job properly. As you say, those DC plugs are pee-ish :eyebrows:

Marco.

kininigin
06-02-2011, 11:22
Morning tweaky-boy ;)

If you can fit an XLR socket to the Timestep, then do it baby, as that's what should've been there if Mr Cawley had done his job properly. As you say, those DC plugs are pee-ish :eyebrows:

Marco.

There even more pee-ish when they are to small to fit in the timestep socket and have to use blutak to keep it in place,but im not pointing fingers :ner:

Marco
06-02-2011, 11:34
Hahaha...erm, ummm :o exactly...soz :eyebrows:

However, if an XLR plug and socket had been supplied and fitted in the first place, we wouldn't be discussing this ;)

I don't think that Mr Cawley believes in the effects of contact resistance....

Marco.

kininigin
06-02-2011, 11:42
I was just happy that i wired it up right and it worked.It doesn't really bother me but at some point i will sort it out with something a bit more snug.

by the way got a jelco cable from hugo and have now set the tonearm up, very early impressions are good,still need to do some fine tuning but that will have to wait till tommorrow as it's footie day and im going down the pub to watch liverpool destroy chelsea.

Marco
06-02-2011, 11:52
Lol - I seriously hope they do, and that Torres (if he plays) gets a roasting!!

Nice one on the cable - hope it all works out well for ya :cool:

Marco.

JazzBones
06-02-2011, 14:47
Thanks Mark,
A bit of an eye opener for others as well, it was the dc plug I think that did not go into the hole deep enough on the PSU, I had to go into the dustbin and get the timestep cable back out from amongst the special curry I just disposed of, well there was only a bit left but the cable stinks of it!

Struth David, I've heard of curry 'n' chips but never curry 'n' DC cable. Is it something the poms have introduced from one of the many TV cook it shows ? :lol: Hope your sorted mate?

Ron :piano:

Techno Commander
06-02-2011, 16:13
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/sillystuff99/Hi%20Fi/TechieManual.jpg

Marco
06-02-2011, 16:14
Priceless!!

:lolsign: :D

Marco.

MCRU
06-02-2011, 20:29
To be fair and as DC cannot defend himself for obvious reasons, the Graham Slee phono stage I bought recently which sells I believe for £500 new had a a similar DC plug on.

Marco
06-02-2011, 20:36
That doesn't make it good, though, does it? ;)

Marco.

MCRU
06-02-2011, 21:27
No its shite actually but it's like most things, all made to a price, 99% of hi-fi equipment as an example has an IEC inlet in the back to accept the mains power cord, why do they fit ones that cost about 70p?

Marco
06-02-2011, 21:29
Indeed. Mine are Furutech :)

Marco.

MCRU
06-02-2011, 21:36
Oh dear! You should have gone to specsavers (MCRU then)...:lol:

They would have pointed you in the right direction as pure silver as we all know is the best conductor of electricity, a pure silver IEC inlet is the only one worth having, all the rest will never be as good. :ner:

MCRU
06-02-2011, 21:43
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/BELDEN/rolledgoldterminalb12ti0.jpghttp://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/BELDEN/rolledgoldterminalb9xl9.jpg

Marco
06-02-2011, 21:45
Lol - they'll 'do' for me... Still way better than the usual shite! :eyebrows:

So whose are those ones, Oyaide, Belden?

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
06-02-2011, 21:52
They would have pointed you in the right direction as pure silver as we all know is the best conductor of electricity, a pure silver IEC inlet is the only one worth having, all the rest will never be as good. :ner:
I happen to have a nice load of 925 standard & Britannia standard (958) silver here that require a damn good clean. Now i know you mentioned the other day that the tarnish doesn't affect things, but frankly i find it hard to believe :rolleyes:

What i'll do is test a nice blackened piece of silver tomorrow with a multimeter & check it's resistance. After all, we want it to be at about line level voltage don't we ;) 240V will probably happily push through it, but we want to prove corroded silver is still as good as non corroded innit :eyebrows:

I think you'll be wrong, but i'm unbiased so you'll get the truth :)

Marco
06-02-2011, 23:40
I'd like to see the results of that :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
07-02-2011, 00:29
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/sillystuff99/Hi%20Fi/TechieManual.jpg

Even more embarrassing when you spot the typo;)

MCRU
08-02-2011, 10:10
Lol - they'll 'do' for me... Still way better than the usual shite! :eyebrows:

So whose are those ones, Oyaide, Belden?

Marco.

iego dreamworks, based in taiwan, ex furutech set up in 2000, the BEST connectors there are without spending a fortune, they use pure copper for their IEC connectors, acid bath it to remove impurites then either leave it bare, silver plated or gold plate, the IEC connectors are fantastic for the money, IMHO much better then wattgate and all the others apart from maybe the top spec. oyaide

the iec inlets are pure silver made from silver coins melted down from the norweigan treasury apparently or something like that as nowhere else has pure enough silver for their quality demands, another feature is they are made to much more exacting tolerances so they fit very tightly into the receptacle which is good news for equipment that has no earth pin in the IEC inlet like cyrus, standard IEC plugs wobble about but these don't.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/BONI/IMG_8124.jpg

Marco
08-02-2011, 13:57
Coolio - so how much moola we talkin', daftee? :)

Marco.