PDA

View Full Version : The Dynavector DV20X2L Moving Coil Cartridge

MartinT
31-01-2011, 19:02
The Dynavector DV20X2L is the low output version of the new 20X2 series of moving coil cartridges. Using trickle-down technology from higher up the family, the XX2, the 20X2L features the same solid aluminium alloy body and magnetic flux damping with softened magnetism. Flux damping was invented by Dr Tominari, of Dynavector, in order to ‘short circuit’ the yoke so that a voltage cannot be created in it, thus improving the linearity of the magnetic flux. The generator is exposed when looking inside from underneath the cartridge, and produces 0.3mV output with 5 ohm coil resistance. This makes it broadly compatible with many step-up transformers and phono preamp MC input stages. The suggested loading is >30 ohms, but as you’ll see later I had no issue with loading it from between 100 and 200 ohms. The cantilever is a hard aluminium pipe and the stylus is now a micro-ridge nude diamond. Tracking force is stated as 1.8 - 2.2g.

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/DV20X2L.jpg

The cartridge arrived in functional packaging – no wasted cost here on excessive presentation – and is complete with a selection of hex bolts to fit the cartridge’s threaded holes and a stylus brush. A word about the stylus guard: it is completely inadequate and tended to slide off as I was attaching the 20X2L to the headshell, making mounting more stressful than it need be. Please give us a proper stylus guard, Dynavector! Alignment in the headshell slots was straightforward due to the exposed cantilever and the parallel sides of the body. The cartridge weighs 9.2g so I selected the medium counterweight for my DV507-II arm and proceeded to balance everything up. I selected 1.9g tracking force to start with.

The 20X2L is priced in direct competition with another of my favourite cartridges, the Audio Technica AT33PTG. Its output of 0.3mV is slightly down on the AT’s 0.5mV and this was confirmed by my requiring three more steps, equating to +3dB, of my Pass Labs preamp volume control when playing the Dynavector. I selected the lo-gain (16x) setting on the CineMag step-up transformers, giving 184 ohm loading, having ascertained that the 20X2L sounded a little flat and lifeless when operated straight into the MC stage of the Whest phono amp. This is in line with all previous MC cartridges I have tried direct into phono stages and confirms my preference for a step-up transformer for low output MC amplification.

Fresh out of the box the Dynavector sounded interestingly different from the AT I had previously been using, but I reserved judgement until I had put 20 hours on it. During this process the midrange opened out, the soundstage gained depth and bass weight deepened noticeably.

The 20X2L is a dark sounding cartridge. That is to say, music rises from a deep blackness with very low levels of surface noise. So pronounced is this effect that at first I thought there was something wrong. However, everything was there: wonderful extended and detailed treble, wide open midrange and deep and very tight bass. On playing a number of very familiar LPs I noted the following: midrange is highly detailed and natural sounding with a presentation not quite as in-your-face as the AT, but with greater stage depth; treble is incredibly detailed and full of the texture of real sounds, for instance the reproduction of cymbals is exquisite, demonstrating the timbre and shimmer of real metal; bass is deep, tight and provides structure and foundation to the sound, giving sizeable additional weight over the AT. Stereo soundstage is wide and has notable depth, more so I think than I’ve heard in my system before. Dynamic clout is remarkable and I notice especially so in the bass, where slam and impact are very impressive.

The Dynavector tracks well enough, audible as a security when playing all kinds of material, giving peace of mind and allowing full enjoyment of the music. There is no end-of-side distortion. Playing the HFS69 test record, it passed bands A, C & D easily and band B (the very high level lateral +15dB track) with some signs of difficulty. There is no tendency for the stylus to collect dust.

The DV, because of its dark but rich nature, makes the AT sound ‘shouty’ in comparison. It features superb resolution but delivered in a manner that gives real insight into the music, and brings out many details and sounds not previously noticed. It is this latter property that has given me so much pleasure in re-visiting LPs I thought I knew well. Surface noise is vanishingly low, most probably due to its very fine dynamics and well profiled stylus. In terms of system synergy, the Dynavector has a neutral but powerful voice and should match all highly resolving but neutrally balanced systems whether solid state or valve based.

There is no doubt that the Dynavector DV20X2L benefits from their continuous research and technology derived from previous flagship products. It features a sizeable dose of the high end for a very real-world price, giving superb presentation and insight into my precious collection. It does make me wonder what riches are on offer from the XX2 and even more lofty offerings, but I had better exercise restraint. In fact, I think that the DV20X2L could hold its own in much higher priced company and I can think of no better compliment for it. Highly recommended.

audio39
31-01-2011, 19:42
Hi Martin,

Excellent review...it does sound like the Dynavector is a great cart.

You have only worsened my OCD's desire to purchase yet another cart and carry on!!!

Great read...thanks!

Rick.

MartinT
31-01-2011, 22:39
http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/Technics_DV_DV.jpg

Selected listening:

Cat Stevens – Tea for the Tillerman; Rickie Lee Jones – Eponymous; Dire Straits – Communiqué; Steely Dan – Gaucho; Norah Jones – Not Too Late; Jeff Buckley – Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk; Genesis – A Trick of the Tail; Latin Quarter – Modern Times; Gordon Giltrap – Fear of the Dark; Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker – I’ve Got the Music in Me.

System used during review:

Turntable: Technics SL-1210 heavily modified with: Mike New platter, bearing & base plate; Paul Hynes SR5 PSU, Achromat, Isonoe feet, Bruil weight; Dynavector DV507-II arm.
Phono stage: Whest PS.30R phono preamp, Bob’s Devices CineMag step-up transformer.
Pre-amplifier: Pass Labs XP-20 two-box pre-amp.
Power-amplifier: Chord SPM-1200E power amp.
Speakers: Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers.
Mains conditioner: PS Audio Power Plant Premier.
Cabling: Kimber Select & Mark Grant balanced interconnects, Kimber Select speaker cable, Kimber Powerkords.
Equipment table: Solid Tech sprung system rack.
Room Treatments: Acoustic Sciences TubeTraps, SubTrap & PicturePanels room treatment.

Product compared with:

Audio Technica AT33PTG.

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/DV-20X2L-1.jpg

chris@panteg
31-01-2011, 22:55
Nice write up and piccies , looking good Martin .

Barry
01-02-2011, 12:37
An excellent review and well written. I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks Martin

Regards

Marco
01-02-2011, 13:56
Top stuff, as usual, Martin! I'll comment in more detail when I get a chance :)

Marco.

MartinT
01-02-2011, 19:17
Thank you, guys. I quite enjoy this writing lark :)

John
01-02-2011, 21:16
Great review and sounds like another great find

MartinT
05-02-2011, 12:31
Bloody hell, I'm playing some Yello at the moment (Flag) and the deep bass permeating the house (real, trouser flapping vibrations) is another octave below what the AT could manage. This is wonderful!

Reid Malenfant
05-02-2011, 12:36
Bloody hell, I'm playing some Yello at the moment (Flag)
:D Watch out Martin, you don't want to listen to too much stuff i know :eyebrows:

It is a good album though isn't it ;)

Last time i played it (a week ago maybe) stuff was falling onto the floor :D

MartinT
05-02-2011, 19:41
Indeed. Have you tried Kraftwerk's Minimum Maximum? That bass on the first track The Man Machine is simply huge!

Reid Malenfant
05-02-2011, 19:44
I have a couple of Kraftwerk CDs but i don't think that is one of them :scratch: Let me look.. No, 4 CDs but not that one :doh:

I'll look out for it on fleabay :)

MartinT
07-02-2011, 19:09
I tried the high gain setting on my Bob's Devices CineMag step-up transformer and the results are interesting. This changes the gain from 24dB to 30dB (so a +6dB gain), and also importantly changes the load on the cartridge from 184 ohms to 52 ohms. Dynavector specify a loading of "greater than 30 ohms".

Listening to this setting, there is even more weight but no loss of midrange or treble sparkle. And, dammit, are the dynamic swings even greater? Or is it the enhanced weight that makes it sound impressive?

In order to truly evaluate this setting, I need to reduce the Whest's gain by 6dB so that I have the optimised volume control setting on my Pass. I wish the Whest had an external gain control rather than internal DIP switches :(

I shall play with it some more, but this is very promising. I shall also swap the G1000HD cable for a G2000HD at some point. Still using the silver Dynavector cable from arm to SUT.

MartinT
09-02-2011, 19:59
Having now listened extensively, I can say with some confidence that the Dynavector has responded very well to the lower value loading of 52 ohms. System noise is lower, too, due to the higher gain of the SUT (and the consequent lower volume control level) and noise suppression from the low input impedance.

The sound is incredibly vivid, dynamic and 'real'. For example, I was playing Santana Abraxas just now - a formidable album to play well - and I was completely caught up in the sound of precisely placed percussion and Carlos' distorted guitar swelling over the proceedings, not to mention thousands of tinkly chimes reproduced with such harmonic richness that even the SACD struggles to match it. Playing it at my normal level, where much of the proceedings are not loud, the guitar reaches stunning crescendos, demanding my attention. This is dynamics done proper, pulling me into the music rather than just trying to impress.

The G2000HD is on its way and that can only help.