PDA

View Full Version : Classical music and the Technics 1200

colinB
31-01-2011, 12:20
I bought a old record in oxfam months ago and only got round to playing it last night.
Its a copy of Mozart wind serenades and the condition is mint. Who ever owned it took care of his lps. I didnt expect good quality sound at all. Its a dj deck allbeit with a decent arm and cart. I tend to think classical should be bought on cd. But this sounded very good and i expect i will be buying more classical on vinyl in the future.
This deck never fails to surprise me. Any one want to buy a cd player?

chris@panteg
31-01-2011, 12:44
Hi Colin

The Techie does classical as well as any i have heard , being so low in background noise is partly it i suppose, but i recently had a listen to ' Das Rheingold by Wagner , i don't think its ever sounded better but what do i know :)

Marco
31-01-2011, 12:51
Plenty ;)

The lack of 'wavering' on the pitch of notes, as a result of its rock-solid speed stability, and a 'digital-like' clarity in its sonic presentation, due to low coloration, (when playing records in mint condition), are also key factors.

Those are essential attributes in order to reproduce acoustic instruments accurately. Jazz music benefits similarly :)

Marco.

tommy6206
31-01-2011, 12:52
I have been listening to some classical on mine just lately and loving it and thru my celestion 44's sounds real sweet

Tarzan
31-01-2011, 17:18
Agree with all the above posters, the Techie is exellent with everything:)

Barry
31-01-2011, 20:15
My local 'Cash Converters' has a Technics SL 1210 Mk III complete with arm (they label it the 1210M3D), but no cartridge/headshell, for sale at £175.

Marco
31-01-2011, 20:37
Are you treating yourself, Barry? ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
31-01-2011, 22:40
Plenty ;)

The lack of 'wavering' on the pitch of notes, as a result of its rock-solid speed stability, and a 'CD-like clarity' in its sonic presentation, due to low coloration, (when playing records in mint condition), are also key factors.

Those are essential attributes in order to reproduce acoustic instruments accurately. Jazz music benefits similarly :)

Marco.

Hi Marco

I like the way the Techie does Jazz:) and hopefully tommorow the 103R might add something magical .

Marco
31-01-2011, 22:49
Nice one, Chris. Do let us know how you get on. Remember that for optimum performance you'll need to add more mass to the headshell of your 309....

I meant to ask you to take the headshell off and weigh it, in order to ascertain how much extra mass to add, so perhaps you could do that tomorrow before fitting the 103? :)

I reckon the headshell will weigh around 8g. You'll need around 15.5-16g in total to optimise things. Also start with loading at 100 Ohms, VTF at 2.6g, and VTA bang on level, and work from there :cool:

Marco.

chris@panteg
31-01-2011, 23:03
Nice one, Chris. Do let us know how you get on. Remember that for optimum performance you'll need to add more mass to the headshell of your 309....

I meant to ask you to take the headshell off and weigh it, in order to ascertain how much extra mass to add, so perhaps you could do that tomorrow before fitting the 103? :)

I reckon the headshell will weigh around 8g. You'll need around 15.5-16g in total to optimise things. Also start with loading at 100 Ohms, VTF at 2.6g, and VTA bang on level, and work from there :cool:

Marco.

Thanks

It just so happens , i have one of those mini jeweler's scales so that's no problem , looking forward to hearing it i must say :) and if i have to get an SUT then so be it , but that may have to wait for a little while.

WOStantonCS100
01-02-2011, 01:21
Any one want to buy a cd player?

...ummmm... no. :) Want to buy mine?

For me, listening to piano on a deck with noticeable W/F is something to avoid. No issue with MK2 Tech's, thankfully. But, I'm spoiled. I've listened to classical (and everything else) on MK2's (starting with a 1400MK2) since the late 70's. I've gotten very used to "pitch stability". To be fair, with a "nasty" cartridge, any platter placed on a 1200 is going to sound like gah-bidge! :lolsign: I've had that experience.

bobp
01-02-2011, 16:53
.... and i expect i will be buying more classical on vinyl in the future. This deck never fails to surprise me. Any one want to buy a cd player?

You are on the right track!!! But since you are starting with classical vinyl,
this might be helpful. Skip what you do already :-)

1. Not all classical labels are of the same technical quality. Some were truly exceptional, some were consistently good, some are no better than CD and some are poor quality CDs with a surface noise added.

You must do some googling and learn top five to look for. Pass on budget reissues. Look for the ads given by professional dealers, what they buy.
(hint: Decca London, Telefunken, Archive by Deutsche Gramophon)

Learn by heart and practice with cue cards until you can recognize the logo in semi darkness :-) You never know, you might find extreme valuable vinyl in the pile of worthless records.

2. Early 1980's were the Dark Age for the vinyl release - inferior quality digital recording replaced analogue. Bulk of it ended on the first generation CDs and was reissued on a vinyl, proudly displaying DIGITAL RECORDING on the jacket.
Avoid - it is poor quality recording with a surface noise. You'll be better of with a ceedee.

3. Music as a reproductive art is susceptible to the fashion at the time when recorded. Bach's Six cello concerto recorded in 1936 will differ from ones recorded in 1996 not only by the equipment used but also by the different performance. You might find some performances very dated some fresh as if performed yesterday.
It is all matter of taste, and what you listened when you were a kid. Stick with what you like.

4. Once you know what you like, work in circles. For example, if you find conductor Otto Klemperer appealing to you, try to collect all you can find with him.

5. Get into habit of keeping the list of classical recordings you own with you at all times. You never know, you might run into near mint pile in a thrift store and ending up with multiple duplicates.

6. Box sets are usually in much better shape than individual records.

7. Plan ahead on a ample shelf space, your collection will grow quickly.

8. Share. A set of vinyl you do not need and a cheap turntable can bring a lot of joy to someone you know and could cost less than a good bottle of wine.

9. This is truly multimedia hobby. Nowadays, with Youtube and all kind of information available mouseclick away, you could expand your knowledge in a year more than for a lifetime of collecting 20 years ago. The only problem I see is the dwindling supply of the used vinyl. I used to bring armloads of near mint dirt cheap vinyl home every week, now only what I buy in used vinyl stores and it is not cheap any longer.

kininigin
01-02-2011, 17:37
i've never really liked classical,but i love beethoven's Symphony No.7 in A major, Op.9,don't really know why but it almost brings me to tears...whoops i've said too much.

bobp
01-02-2011, 20:54
i've never really liked classical,but i love beethoven's Symphony No.7 in A major, Op.9,don't really know why but it almost brings me to tears...whoops i've said too much.

I believe that the word "classical" for serious artistic music turned away too many people from great music, because Clasicism is much less in tune with our times than Early, Renaissance or Baroque music.

Every jazz lover should listen to the J.S. Bach at least once a day.
IMHO, Miles and Coltrane are only 1/2 the fun without Bach.
Once Bach is the second nature, Vivaldi and Scarlati should be given a try.

It is worth mentioning that in Baroque Venice, orpanages were the place where orphaned children got professional music education, because it was thought to be the best way to make them independent. The very same model was in place in French Louisiana and New Orleans.

It is no surprise that we got the gift of Jazz from New Orleans, there an abundance of trained musicians who were in the position to hear different rich musical heritage of West Africa could play and experiment, and learn from each other.

chris@panteg
03-02-2011, 01:51

I love the 7th , especially the 2nd movement , Allegretto ' :)

jandl100
03-02-2011, 07:45
I do some volunteer work in a local charity shop, and one of the perks of the job is getting 1st dibs on anything that gets donated. Volunteers pay full rate so the charity doesn't lose out. :)

A week or so back we got a donation of about 40 classical LPs. Absolutely Minty condition. :eek: Quite a few of those have somehow found their way into my own collection .... now how did that happen? :scratch: :eyebrows:

A few of them are very collectible and I have sold them on behalf of the charity shop on eBay auction - the sales have made £93 for the charity (Cancer Research UK) so far. They are on their way to South Korea and Germany as well as collectors in the UK. Excellent stuff. :cool:

And yes, classical LPs can only be played on direct drive tt's, imho, due to the particular susceptibility of classical music making speed variations only too audible. But it's worth remembering that the Techies aren't the only option! ;) Classical LPs sound damned fine on my Pioneer PL600X / DV10X5 combo. Come and here it at Scalford! :)

Marco
03-02-2011, 11:28
Indeed, Jerry! I'll definitely be popping by for a listen-ette :)

Make sure you cruise by the AoS room, too, as this time it'll be a Tannoy-free zone! :eek: :eyebrows:

Marco.