PDA

View Full Version : Technics 1210 + Clearaudio Maestro

Hedonist
24-01-2011, 20:42
Dear all,

I have this combination, and heaving a problem with the set up: the VTF is
recommended from 2,0 to 2,5 but I cannot adjust the anti skating. Even if it is on maximum (3), tone arm still moves towards the centre of the TT.
I have Sumiko head shell.

In addition, recommended height of the arm could not be as proposed in the Technics manual, but that is small issue.

Thank for any help in advance.

BR

Hedonist

MartinT
24-01-2011, 22:50
Even if it is on maximum (3), tone arm still moves towards the centre of the TT.

Hi Vladimir, welcome to AoS.

Do you mean the stylus is jumping the grooves? Then something is very wrong. 'Anti-skate' is an incorrect term, it should always be called 'bias' as it simply ensures that the groove force pulling an arm inwards is counteracted by an outward force to even out the wear and channel balance. An arm should never, ever, 'skate' :eek:

The Vinyl Adventure
25-01-2011, 00:27
Ha, Martin, you are a hifi snob ;)

MartinT
25-01-2011, 06:50
<wears badge with pride> :rolleyes:

Hedonist
25-01-2011, 09:42
I have a test record with flat space, no grooves, for ajusting the anti skateing. If I set the VTF to 1,8gr, the tone arm stays in one position, meainig it does not move (skate ;)) to the center of the TT, or in other direction.
But everithing above 1,8 "moves" the tone arm towards the center, and I have to reach the 2,0gr to 2,2gr!

Thanks.

MartinT
25-01-2011, 09:58
Vladimir - stop! Those blank records are no good for setting bias, they use faulty physics and have been completely disproved.

The reason they do not measure bias accurately is that a groove wall creates different drag, and therefore inward force, compared with the point of the stylus on a flat surface.

The best way to set bias is to get it approximately right and then listen for lowest distortion on each channel and good channel balance. This varies from cartridge to cartridge because of the profile of the stylus.

Hedonist
25-01-2011, 20:03
Thanks.

I know what do to, altough "approximately right" worries me. However, will try with that approach.

Thanks again.

MartinT
25-01-2011, 22:15
Ok. For arm height, can you use a spacer in the headshell?

Hedonist
26-01-2011, 17:45
That should not be a problem.

Thanks!