PDA

View Full Version : What now? 78 rpm

WOStantonCS100
22-01-2011, 18:27
I've just acquired the first part of a large record collection passed down to me. I now have a box of approximately 150 78rpm records. Almost all of them are in "VG+" condition or better (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, King Cole Trio, Duke Ellington, Stan Kenton, Eddie Durham, Benny Carter, Eartha Kitt's - Santa Baby w/ picture sleeve, etc. etc.).

But... I do not currently own a turntable equipped with 78 rpm. I do have 2 Techie's that can be modded by KAB.

Does anyone have a recommendation for 78 rpm playback? The TT would have to be as good or better than what a modded 1200 can do. Cartridge recommendations? Cleaning solution recommendations? I'd love to have an ELP for this purpose. Somehow, I don't think the wife is going to go for that.

Luckily there were a handful of 10" LP's (Les Paul & Mary Ford, etc.) included, which I have already cleaned and enjoyed.

Clive
22-01-2011, 19:34
The cheapest and a very sensible option would be a Lenco.

Then there are Garrards.

Also Trans-Fi's Salvation can be set up for 78rpm too.

hifi_dave
22-01-2011, 20:05
I've helped a few customers to achieve 78 rpm playback. I've not yet got round to it myself but they say that it betters even mono LP playback !!!

First you need an idler driven deck like a Garrard 301, 401 or a Goldring GL75, G99 or G88. Something with a bit of torque and most important, you need to be able to vary the speed slightly + and - of the 78 rpm setting, as the records were not cut at exactly 78 rpm.

You will also need a phono stage or pre-amp with variable/selectable EQ settings to suit the recordings.

WOStantonCS100
22-01-2011, 21:20
I'd be happy with any one of those goodies!! I thought the Garrards were a rather expensive option? Getting one in good nic would be my concern as restoring one, I've heard, can get quite pricey. I'm not familiar with the Lenco's other than having heard the name.

I hope to get a T3 Pro arm this year for one of the 1200s. I didn't know the Salvation TT could be setup for 78 rpm. Is it adjustable? Can a "speed box" be added to it? Could I squeeze 90 rpm out of that if needed? For the money, the Salvation seems quite reasonably priced for what it offers.

The Audio-Technica MONO-3/SP ?? would be my first inclination for a cart then a 68x with appropriate stylus. However, with a Salvation, that would also open up the option of using a Grado. Maybe?

Clive
22-01-2011, 22:47
Garrards are expensive, Goldring Lenco would be the cheapest way.

For Salvation to run at 78 rpm you need a power supply that puts out around 14V vs the standard one that maxes out a little under that. It's easy enough to do as a special (my PS does this). 90rpm is easy too.

WOStantonCS100
22-01-2011, 23:43
Garrards are expensive, Goldring Lenco would be the cheapest way.

For Salvation to run at 78 rpm you need a power supply that puts out around 14V vs the standard one that maxes out a little under that. It's easy enough to do as a special (my PS does this). 90rpm is easy too.

Which PS is it?

Clive
23-01-2011, 07:16
The standard Salvation PS is not designed for 78, it does 33 and 45. To get 78 I have a diy PS, I don't know whether Trans-Fi will offer this as an option, I'm sure that's down to demand, technically it's straightforward.

hifi_dave
23-01-2011, 10:19
The standard Salvation PS is not designed for 78, it does 33 and 45. To get 78 I have a diy PS, I don't know whether Trans-Fi will offer this as an option, I'm sure that's down to demand, technically it's straightforward.

Can you vary the speed either side of the set 33, 45 or 78 ?

DSJR
23-01-2011, 10:59
You don't need a foo turntable to play 78's as the discs are rigid (no probs with coupling vinyl), they're in mono, so Lenco drive noise, for example, is cancelled out at a stroke.

As for foo 78 cartridges, bear in mind the narrow bandwidth of 78's. The quality and dimensions of the stylus are far more important as getting the tip profile to fit the groove kills much of the noise. I remember a Glenn Miller compilation in the 70's that used several styli to properly fit the grooves of these old records when doing the transfers. What deck was used? from memory, a GL75 :)

I'd look out for a GL75 (they're fetching nearly Techie money now in good nick :eek:) and get an OM Pro cartridge with the 78 stylus (or an old Shure M75-EJ with 78 stylus). As well as getting good performance on LP's, it'll be perfect for 78's too. These decks have now been discovered by the great unwashed now, so the prices are shooting up sadly.

I still have a few 78's left and two decks to play them on. Now my little ceramic pickup buffer

Rare Bird
24-01-2011, 10:56
Rega 'Planar78' i'm certain they made the old 'Planar's available in a 78 version aswell!

Clive
24-01-2011, 11:00
Can you vary the speed either side of the set 33, 45 or 78 ?
Yes, the speed is variable via 10-turn pots so fine setting of the speed is easy plus a very wide range of speed is available for each speed setting.

Tea24
22-02-2011, 09:56
Only just seen this thread. Try to get an Audio Technica AT-PL 120; there are still a few around. A DJ deck for around the £200 mark (new) which will play your 78s a treat. Then you need a Graham Slee Jazz Club for re-equalising and a set of Rek-o-Kut archival needles (that's the expensive bit). 78s when washed on a RCM (NOT using alcahol based liquid, just distilled water with a bit of washing up liquid) sound fantastic. The Jazz Club has a mono/stereo switch which helps and the TT has variable speed. Use a strobe to get the speed exactly right as the TT is not dead accuaret on speed, but consistent.

Hope that helps.

DSJR
22-02-2011, 10:05
I'd still say a Lenco while they're just about affordable - AND DON'T BUTCHER IT, as original examples will probably hold value better eventually. They're going for well over a ton now unfortunately and nearer double that for clean(ish) examples.

The Planar 78 is the pipe-n-slippers version,, which should give a velvet-smooth performance when fitted with the 78 version of the Bias cartridge. I also understand the Techie can be configured for 78's too....

Welder
22-02-2011, 23:52
I don’t know. You lot, what are you like :lol:
You need a phonograph, you know, one of those things with a horn and a wind up handle.

Record decks ffs, that’s like playing Marco’s 50’s vinyl on a computer!
I’ve come to the conclusion that some of you are definitely lacking in style. :doh:

Tea24
23-02-2011, 10:34
Sorry John, IMO you are entirely wrong. I have a wind up & it sounds quite good, but a properly re-equalised 78 on good modern equipment with the correct sized needle played at the correct speed is a revelation.:eek:;):lolsign:

Welder
23-02-2011, 13:03
Entirely wrong eh. At least I’ve done the job properly then.....:rolleyes:

spendorman
23-02-2011, 14:08
If one wants correct equalisation for the various old record companies, the Quad 22 pre amp is pretty good.

I have a Thorens TD124 fitted with an Ortofon RS212 arm, for 78's. I put a spare headshell in with a Shure 75(ED) cartridge, fitted with an N75-3 stylus.

WOStantonCS100
23-02-2011, 23:34
This is going to cost me a bundle, init. :lol:

Finding Lenco's around here is pretty tough, apparently. I've seen some pretty nice ones. What do you mean by "don't butcher it"? There's a guy on youtube who's got a 75 done up in white with a huge baby blue plinth. It's got a Fidelity Research FR64S tonearm and Ortofon SPU Silver Miester cartridge. Not my first choice of colors; but, his looks (and probably sounds) really cool.

The Rega 78 I absolutely could not do. Any turntable that only does one speed, and 78 at that, is not for me. I'd have a very hard time convincing myself the Rega wouldn't break down far sooner than an equally well serviced Lenco, Thorens or Technics.

With a cartridge retip and new arm on the way, "The Jazz Club" is a drool inducing item I should probably not jump into. The Rek-O-Kut stuff on the other hand seems to offer quite good functionality. I also wouldn't feel bad about cracking it open and upgrading internal components.

Big horns... :eyebrows: ...great aesthetic pieces; but, I just don't have the real estate for them; too much vinyl.

The Grand Wazoo
23-02-2011, 23:43
I think that when Dave talks about butchering a Lenco, he's referring to some folks habit of doing away with the arm at all costs.

The arm being not too bad at all really
The cost of doing away with it being carving off a lump of top plate in order to fit a new arm.

Rest assured that in years to come, a well cared for original will fetch a proper price.