PDA

View Full Version : AV speakers on ebay

Macca
17-01-2011, 22:24
Some very cheap brand new 5 speaker packages on the 'bay at the moment - sort of 'how do they do it for the money?' stuff.

This Beng package for £190 incl delivery for example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BENG-1240-WATT-HOME-CINEMA-SPEAKER-SYSTEM-HIFI-SET-NEW-/230574439911?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item35af4ebde7

Anyone have an opinion on this stuff?

Techno Commander
17-01-2011, 22:37
Probably shite.

Beechwoods
17-01-2011, 22:39
That's mad! For that money it's almost worth a go on the offchance... but hasn't this got to be the modern equivalent of the 'white van speaker'...?

I suspect they probably do loud, but not music, particularly well.

UV101
17-01-2011, 22:40
They look great! I wonder if I can get them big tall ones on the parcel shelf of my saxo?

What a crock of shite! :lol::lol:

My Mrs would leave me I stuck them in the front room!!!:eyebrows:

Macca
17-01-2011, 22:41
Probably shite.

Even if it is just ad up the material costs and the cost of shipping it from China. They aint making anything off £20 UK shipping either. I know, I'm in the business. Someone is losing money somewhere.

Reid Malenfant
17-01-2011, 22:41
Probably shite.
I'd go along with that :lol: For that money....

Don't go there :mental:

Beechwoods
17-01-2011, 22:49
Even if it is just ad up the material costs and the cost of shipping it from China. They aint making anything off £20 UK shipping either. I know, I'm in the business. Someone is losing money somewhere.

That's the thing. Someone on AVForums did the maths:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/13540419-post4.html

It's remarkable they can even make them look half-convincing for the money.

Jac Hawk
17-01-2011, 22:50
So are they flat pack?:scratch: they must be absolute SHITE for that price

Macca
17-01-2011, 23:07
That's the thing. Someone on AVForums did the maths:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/13540419-post4.html

It's remarkable they can even make them look half-convincing for the money.

That link only breaks down the total cost into cost per driver without considering crossovers, cabinets, shipping from China and labour. The drivers prob cost the manufacturer £2.00 each or less - there are UK made speakers that have sold well using drivers that cheap. This is still a loss for someone.

At the price I could buy a set just out of interest but I suspect I would find that the cabs are very thin and consequently honky and that the 4 way front speakers would time badly with rock music. I've not heard them obviously that's just a guess - however I've owned enough big, cheap speakers to know the problems.

On the other hand if you want 5 speakers for film soundtrack use alone and are almost skint this is a bargain IMHO

Jac Hawk
18-01-2011, 22:15
On the other hand if you want 5 speakers for film soundtrack use alone and are almost skint this is a bargain IMHO

Sorry mate i don't agree, the reason being that you can get a couple of pairs of good well made second hand speakers off ebay for a fraction of that cost, then get a decent centre speaker, i reacon you could get 5 good speakers off ebay for less than £100 inc delivery and they would be from a recognised speaker manufacturer and probably made in the UK too, sorry but that is just cheap crap designed to be sold to people who know little to nothing about hifi, i could be wrong, but i doubt it ;)