PDA

View Full Version : A/V amp Jiggery pokery

Jac Hawk
16-01-2011, 14:22
Ok so it's fair to say there are a few of us on the forum with as far as the purist are concerned is the devil himself yes ladies and gents an A/V amp. Now don't get me wrong i understand the valid reasons behind keeping the signal path as short and clean as possible so as to recreate the music in a way which is as close to the original recording as possible, however many of us want our stereo set up to do more than just handle music and in wanting that we are given a whole gammet of sound field possibilities for use while watching movies or listening to music. So what gives the best effect for movie or music?

Well in my 5.1 setup i like DTS for movies, in my opinion it gives more of a cinema experience than Dolby Digital in the way it moves sound around the speakers to give you a feeling of being in the action, now with a stereo signal while listening to music i've tried all the options on my amp, from standard stereo to neo6, and i find i like the SRS circle surround II most of all, it doesn't over emphisise the centre channel leaving the lions share of the work to the main front speakers so instruments and voices can be pin pointed to different places and not all lumped in the middle (a feeling you get from Dolby) also the rear speakers are used in a way which for me makes my room sound bigger, if that makes sence.

Reid Malenfant
16-01-2011, 14:28
:eek: Stereo stays stereo in my setup, i honestly wouldn't dream of corrupting it ;) I do happen to have some multichannel DTS encoded CDs & DVDs & these get the surround treatment as was intended by the artist, decoding in the relevant player..

As for movies it's whatever the best audio is on the DVD or blu ray in question as it's decoded in the player/s :)

Jac Hawk
16-01-2011, 15:14
I would agree to a point, in that keeping the signal path as short as possible will give you a better representation of the material on the disc, however in my opinion it's not about recreating the recording, cos to be honnest it will have been recorded on a multichannel set up each bit at a time and so what you hear is what the producer has done on the mixing deck pulling it all together, what i want from my stereo is to recreate what the band would sound like live and in my opinion an A/V amp allows you to go down that path, and ok the sound isn't as 'pure' as stereo but all the jiggery pokery does add something.

Reid Malenfant
16-01-2011, 15:30
Mike, at the end of the day it's all down to personal choice & if you like what you are hearing don't let anyone else put you off ;)

I do get where you are coming from in a certain respect as i used to have (back in the day :eyebrows:) a Realistic 10 band graphic equaliser which had some weird stereo Expander built in but switchable on & off. I often ran it with the thing on but with a reduced effect & it did add a certain something to the proceedings :)

I haven't even got a tone control in my present system, it's about as minimalist as i could go... I'm also happy with what i hear, admittedly though when those 5.1 DTS encoded discs are spinning it really does take you to another dimension over stereo :wow:

Jac Hawk
16-01-2011, 15:50
I'm not trying to make an argument for using A/V effects over a simple stereo set up, like you say Mark it's all down to personal taste, i was just interested to find out what members with A/V amps or processors use them for, if it's only for movies or do they use it for music too, and if they do which setting do they like best.

My feelings as to why people stick with stereo rather than going mutichannel, is more to do with setup complexity and what can go where, rather than it simply sounds better out of 2 speakers rather than 6.

Macca
17-01-2011, 00:55
I prefer to listen to music with just the two channels, even if its a DVD or broadcast. Something just not right about sound coming from behind. Now that could just be what I am acustomed to over years but I am too old to change on that one.

I play a lot of live albums because I think I prefer the genuine live interplay of the musicians as opposed to the more sterile studio version. I've not heard yet an accomplished 5 or 7 channel rig that could make a studio recording sound like a live performance via digital processing or as it's called in the trade, jiggery pokery:)

chris@panteg
17-01-2011, 01:05
Hi Mike

Well i run 2 system's and i have experimented with the many sound sttings on the yammy , sometimes with hilarious results , the church and stadium setting sounding mad ! i found a couple of the more subtle one's like the Jazz club for example , pretty good but generally for music the straight setting with pure direct sounds best .

Its great fun trying all the settings , oh and i prefer DTS for movies too:)

UV101
17-01-2011, 10:38
With Line level outputs for the front L & R there is no reason to compromise on your stereo performance.

My main system is exactly that, no compromise stereo.

My A/V processor has line out for all channels. The front L&R feed into one of the amp inputs. When I'm watching the TV or a film, I select the input on the amp that takes the feed from my processor, set the volume to the required position (previously calculated) and away I go.

I really dont understand why more AV amps dont have the ablility to do this???

Jac Hawk
17-01-2011, 21:55
Hi Mike

Well i run 2 system's and i have experimented with the many sound sttings on the yammy , sometimes with hilarious results , the church and stadium setting sounding mad ! i found a couple of the more subtle one's like the Jazz club for example , pretty good but generally for music the straight setting with pure direct sounds best .

Its great fun trying all the settings , oh and i prefer DTS for movies too:)

well my current A/V amp doesn't have the sound effects such as jazz, hall theater etc. but it is well equipped with a whole array of digital multichannel processing, both for movies and music, now admitedly they can't make a studio recording sound like a live recording, but it does give the music a more live sound, you just need to spend a few hours setting all the channels up propperly, i swear you will be amazed at how good it can sound, the music is still focused and the rear channels are there only to add a slight echo and expand the stereo image in front of you. As i said though it does take some time to set up, a damn sight more than a stereo setup but in my opinion it gives a very pleasing effect. BTW Chris I would be interested to find out if your Yammy processor has an SRS Circle Surround II setting and if it does have you given it a go?

chris@panteg
17-01-2011, 23:34
Hi Mike

I will have to have another trawl through my Yammy amp , there are so many different settings ! its my 2nd AV amp and certainly far superior sonically to a Sony 925 i used before , even the phono stage is half decent :) .

UV101
17-01-2011, 23:34
Ooops! Should have read properly! Seem to have missed the point a bit with my previous post! :doh:

pwood
22-01-2011, 13:03
Anyone with an AV amp that decodes DTS MA 96/24 should buy SEE THE LIGHT - John Mayer Live it is stunning. PQ is okay but the sound:cool: The surround channels are subtle making uses of reflected sound and audience noise which adds to the experience unlike a some concerts which have instruments in the rear channels:rolleyes:

For DVD Peter Gabriel Growing Up Tour is a must see and is a visual and audio treat in DTS. I wish he would release it in Blueray seens how it was shot in HD and has been on Sky Arts HD.

Vinyleyes
03-02-2011, 15:56
Gents, I've been reading this thread with interest to learn how to hook up an AV system using 2 channel only amps. I see various references to AV processors and AV amps .. and also a device from Stan Beresford that splits amps and speakers ??
Is it possible to set up a 4 or preferably 5 speaker set up to get DTS and HD movies using one or more 2 channel amps ... am I right in thinking you can get an AV device (Processor) which hooks in somewhere to provide the effects .. and then devices are available to split the signal to various speakers. My priority is my 2 channel vinyl/CD replay system and I would like to be able to switch to that without mucking about changing speaker cables and amp inputs. Other amps could power the AV system .. and also I would like to have more than 1 amp plugged in at all times to do A/B comparison. My main system is a power amp with pre that has 2 inputs .. so I can keep a 2nd amp connected permanently .. I also have 2 channel integrated amps available to use.

Can anyone help me here .. or just tell me I'm nuts :mental: and that I need to buy at least a 5 channel AV amp ..

Thanks ..

Reid Malenfant
03-02-2011, 16:03
Hi Brian, you should be able to get a modern processor that will accept the HDMI input & decode the DTSma & lossless DD, but it won't be cheap :doh:

A far better bet is an older processor that accepts analogue inputs & to have a BD player with analogue outputs which decodes in the BD player itself ;) This would be a damn sight cheaper i feel..

Tbh i have never used a processor before so i'll leave you to better advice from those that have as there are obviously some here abouts. But from what you are asking i think you can be made a happy chappie :)

Vinyleyes
03-02-2011, 16:13
Hi Brian, you should be able to get a modern processor that will accept the HDMI input & decode the DTSma & lossless DD, but it won't be cheap :doh:

A far better bet is an older processor that accepts analogue inputs & to have a BD player with analogue outputs which decodes in the BD player itself ;) This would be a damn sight cheaper i feel..

Tbh i have never used a processor before so i'll leave you to better advice from those that have as there are obviously some here abouts. But from what you are asking i think you can be made a happy chappie :)

I forgot to say I am soon going to have an Oppo Universal player as a CD/DVD/Blu Raysource .. ... what is BD stand for in BD player .... and where does everything fit together .. in what order .. Is the processor an amp as well ?? I told you I was a numbskull with this stuff> I just cannot visualise the order in which everything has to go ... :doh: ..... I need a :cool:

Reid Malenfant
03-02-2011, 16:21
The Oppo should have multi-channel analogue outputs so will decode everything internally - good :) BD is just Blu ray Disc shortened to BD ;)

As for how these processors connect i'm not entirely sure as i have never had or used one. What they should do is use the standard left & right speakers as the front channels & you'll then need to feed the centre & surround outputs (& subwoofer if using one) to other power amplifiers. Some processors might have built in amplification for the extra channels.

I wish i knew a bit more about the things tbh, i feel like a fifth wheel :D

Reid Malenfant
03-02-2011, 16:35
Here is another solution that i know does work as it's how i did things previously ;)

My main system uses a Classe DR5 pre amp, what i did before was put a switch box between the pre amp & power amps. When i was just listening to music i had it switched to the DR5, when i wanted to watch movies in full surround i switched over to the front pre outs of a Harman Kardon AVR5500 which had the centre & surround speakers connected to it...

Effectively the volume was controlled by the AVR in movie mode & the DR5 in stereo mode if that makes sense :)

Vinyleyes
03-02-2011, 16:41
Thanks Mark ... that's a little clearer ... The Oppo will feed out the TV sound .. maybe into a processor to give the DTS .. just then it is a question of how to split the AV sound into 5 speakers but keep the CD replay going through 2 speakers from the main amp ... :-) or something like that ... :lol:

Reid Malenfant
03-02-2011, 17:42
Actually i have had a thought whilst doing some work :scratch: If you are going to use a processor you'll need to have (i'm pretty sure) a pre amp or integrated with a bypass switch. What this does is what it says - it bypasses the internal volume control so you just use the volume control on the processor so everything is matched volume wise :)

If you have no bypass switch i'd suggest the other method i mentioned. Again just listening to stereo you use your normal pre amp. When you want to listen to 5.1 you switch to the pre outs of the front channels of an AV amp.

As you don't need any processing or fancy HDMI inputs because the Oppo will decode you can get yourself a really nice quality older AV powerhouse for a good price. They go cheap nowadays as everyone appears to want the AV amps with HDMI inputs :eyebrows:

Vinyleyes
03-02-2011, 18:11
I guess I need some kind of AV lump then ... I had better stop my bid for the Luxman receiver that is going to the hammer in an hour or two ... shame because it is such a lovely piece of kit ............... :scratch:

I do want the DTS 5.1 capability though .... Is that possible with a processor if I still were to use only 2 channel amps ,,, Mike .. are you out there, any ideas would be welcome thanks ..

Reid Malenfant
03-02-2011, 18:16
The problem if using a load of 2 channel amps is you'd need to match the volume controls of each one & each time you adjust one you'd have to balance them again - a bloody nightmare if ever i heard of one :eek:

I'd say the answer to that is no, not unless you want serious hassle every time you adjust the volume :doh:

Ali Tait
03-02-2011, 18:30
If the processor has a volume control can that not be used? Just set the amp's vol pots to about 75% and leave them.

Ali Tait
03-02-2011, 18:31
Assuming all the amps are the same of course...

Reid Malenfant
03-02-2011, 18:34
If the processor has a volume control can that not be used? Just set the amp's vol pots to about 75% and leave them.
All the amplifiers would need to have the same sensitivity & output for that to work ;) Even if it was the case we all know that no potentiometer is an exact match between the tracks on a single device, let alone different ones that might not follow the same law..

You'd end up in the same mess imo :(

Ali Tait
03-02-2011, 19:29
Aye, as I said, assuming you are using the same amps. They should match pretty close I'd say, and it should be easy enough to adjust by ear if there is any obvious mismatch. I'm doing this with two Bantam Golds through a Behringer DCX2496, using the pot on my WAD Pre 2 for volume. Works a treat. Both amps pots are at about two o' clock.

Vinyleyes
03-02-2011, 19:37
I think I have found ... the answer (http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/reviews/hardware/yammy800.html) ... ;) ,,, only thing I need to figure is where does my pre amp go ... and how to switch between just 2 channels on the main amp and all 5 using the DSP .. .... Also .. what is all the HDMI stuff all about .. At the moment I just run HDMI from sky to TV and analogue RCA's into my pre amp for 2 channel TV and no effects of course ... . and I bags the one on Ebay right now ,,, :lolsign:

What do you think ... is it a solution ..

Reid Malenfant
03-02-2011, 19:51
Hi Brian, the HDMI form your Oppo that you are purchasing can go straight to the TV. Just make sure the Oppo has 5.1 or 7.1 analogue outputs ;) If it has 7.1 you can get round that problem in the Oppo menu by selecting rear surround "no speakers" & any 7.1 disc you spin will have the rear surround forced to the surround speakers.

As for the rest of it i'm totally unfamiliar with that unit so i'd rather leave it to someone that knows more about processors than possibly lead you up the garden path ;)

Vinyleyes
03-02-2011, 20:06
Thanks Mark ... I think the fog is thinning slightly ....... ;) .. will check on the Oppo.

Reid Malenfant
03-02-2011, 20:20
Ok, i have had a look at the processor you linked to. Don't take this as gospel because i may well have missed something :doh:

It looks to me as though the thing has built in power amps for the centre & both surround channels & only pre outs for the front channels ;) Now from the way my semi scrambled brain thinks you have a couple of choices depending on what you are using already. If you have a pre amp & it has a "bypass" switch it should allow you to use the volume control on the processor to control the whole system volume (IE 5.1) when you are watching movies or spinning multichannel music DVDs or CDs (i have both :eyebrows:) when you bypass the volume control on one set of inputs on your pre amp that you need to dedicate to when going multi channel. If your pre amp doesn't have a bypass switch then you'll need to get a switch box as i mentioned earlier so you can swap between the pre amp outputs of your stereo pre amp & the front channel outputs of the processor..

It sounds much more difficult than it actually is at the end of the day :cool: Take it from me...

Jac Hawk
03-02-2011, 22:08
ok here's my 10p worth

You can either go down the "all in one box route" or go for a seperate DSP pre amp and seperate powe amp combo, no prizes for guessing which is going to be the cheapest and the easiest to set up, so this is how each would work.

Dedicated A/V amp would require you only to take a cable, be it spdif, toslink or multi channel rca from your source to the A/V Amp, which contains the sound processor, pre and power amps, so then it's a simple job of connecting the speakers up and bobs your aunties best friends dog.

or you could get a seperate DSP pre amp and then run seperate power amps as follows.
7.1 system would require 4 stereo power amps and would allow for a passive sub or 3 stereo and 1 mono for an active sub
6.1 system needs 3 stereo power amps
5.1 system needs 2 stereo and 1 mono or 3 stereo but with the ability of having a passive sub

i don't think i need to go into how you would hook em up the only tricky bit would be setting up a stereo amp to get your passive sub and centre speaker on the correct channels

Vinyleyes
04-02-2011, 07:00
Ok, i have had a look at the processor you linked to. Don't take this as gospel because i may well have missed something :doh:

It looks to me as though the thing has built in power amps for the centre & both surround channels & only pre outs for the front channels ;) Now from the way my semi scrambled brain thinks you have a couple of choices depending on what you are using already. If you have a pre amp & it has a "bypass" switch it should allow you to use the volume control on the processor to control the whole system volume (IE 5.1) when you are watching movies or spinning multichannel music DVDs or CDs (i have both :eyebrows:) when you bypass the volume control on one set of inputs on your pre amp that you need to dedicate to when going multi channel. If your pre amp doesn't have a bypass switch then you'll need to get a switch box as i mentioned earlier so you can swap between the pre amp outputs of your stereo pre amp & the front channel outputs of the processor..

It sounds much more difficult than it actually is at the end of the day :cool: Take it from me...

Yes indeed the processor (http://www.superfi.co.uk/extras/Yamaha/DSPE800_instructions.pdf) in question does take care of all the amplification for centre, rear and sub ... and allows the front 2 channels to be driven from my existing 2 channel amp of choice. Therefore I do not need a bunch of extra 2 channel amps thankfully ... :-) .... But what I cannot see is how my preamp (no bypass) fits in here as it looks from the processor instructions that all sources are fed into the processor when of course I want to use my own preamp .... I have sourced a suitable switch box (http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/13/06/2010/the-beresford-tc-7220-what-exactly-is-an-audio-crossover-network/) ........... but again I am having trouble visualising all of this ... I think it is just a matter of getting all the gear out on the floor and piecing it together :scratch: .... and then I would see if I have all the bits .. definitely NO beer until job is done .. :lolsign:

Thanks for the ideas ..

Techno Commander
04-02-2011, 08:30
It would seem that most AV systems are not designed to integrate easily with high end audio. There is a lot to be said for just watching TV in stereo. :)

Reid Malenfant
04-02-2011, 09:53
Hi Brian, that is the wrong kind of switch box my friend ;)

Ok, lets see if you can visualize this :scratch:

If you happen to purchase that processor it has all the 5.1 line level phono inputs that will accept the decoded output from your BD player. That problem is now taken care of.

It also has built in amplification for the rear & centre channels :) Notice that there are no amplifiers for the front channels, only pre outs! Now as your pre amp doesn't have a bypass there is a way round having to connect all your sources to the processor! What you need to do is make your own bypass!

Now imagine the processor as a pre amp for the front channels, juat as your own pre amp is for stereo ;) What you need to do is switch between the two pre amps - simples! What you need is one of these or a better quality one! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stereo-3-Way-Audio-Source-Selector-Switch-Box-RCA-Phono-/360337387887?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item53e5c8316f) :)

With that box connected between the stereo power amps you'll be able to select which pre amp you connect to, either your stereo pre amp with all your present equipment connected or the processor whith the 5.1 sound & rear channels etc taken care of :cool:

Now think about it & it all makes sense :eyebrows: The output of that box would connect to your power amps & your pre amp & the processor would connect to a pair of the inputs. You then simply select which you want - jobs a good one :eyebrows:

Vinyleyes
04-02-2011, 14:48
Hi Brian, that is the wrong kind of switch box my friend ;)

Ok, lets see if you can visualize this :scratch:

If you happen to purchase that processor it has all the 5.1 line level phono inputs that will accept the decoded output from your BD player. That problem is now taken care of.

It also has built in amplification for the rear & centre channels :) Notice that there are no amplifiers for the front channels, only pre outs! Now as your pre amp doesn't have a bypass there is a way round having to connect all your sources to the processor! What you need to do is make your own bypass!

Now imagine the processor as a pre amp for the front channels, just as your own pre amp is for stereo ;) What you need to do is switch between the two pre amps - simples! What you need is one of these or a better quality one! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stereo-3-Way-Audio-Source-Selector-Switch-Box-RCA-Phono-/360337387887?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item53e5c8316f) :)

With that box connected between the stereo power amps you'll be able to select which pre amp you connect to, either your stereo pre amp with all your present equipment connected or the processor whith the 5.1 sound & rear channels etc taken care of :cool:

Now think about it & it all makes sense :eyebrows: The output of that box would connect to your power amps & your pre amp & the processor would connect to a pair of the inputs. You then simply select which you want - jobs a good one :eyebrows:

Hi Mark .... I think I see it ... . :bulb:. :doh::bulb:... It does indeed look simple .. :) .... However ... one thing still I am struggling with .. When I play a CD on the BD ( Oppo) player .. I do not want that going through the processor .. I want it directly into my pre pre and power. But .. the Oppo you say has to be connected to the processor and not my preamp and I guess that will be because when I play a DVD movie it needs to be going through there for the effects obviously .. and to be routed to the 5.1 sysyem ..
So .. if I am with you so far .. could I simply unplug the BD player from the Processor and plug it into MY preamp input when I want to play CD music through my 2 channel sysytem.... or even have a switch in there to do that ..
If all this is going to work then we are going to end up with a 5.1 AV system for the cost of a 2nd hand processor and a couple of switch boxes .. Plus we have the benefit of using my own hifi components for 2 channel and front speaker AV replay ... instead of inferior AV amplification .. that has to be a pretty good solution !! Am I making sense ... :mental:

Andy .. keep the faith .. I think we may have a solution here .. :cool:

Reid Malenfant
04-02-2011, 14:52
Brian my friend, you don't need to ;) The Oppo will also have a pair of stereo output sockets & those can be connected to your proper pre amp. Thus you won't need to disconnect a thing, it'll just be a case of flicking a switch :eyebrows:

By the way, if you want one of those switch boxes i have one sat here doing nothing. Yours for the cost of postage if you want it :cool:

Vinyleyes
04-02-2011, 15:18
Brian my friend, you don't need to ;) The Oppo will also have a pair of stereo output sockets & those can be connected to your proper pre amp. Thus you won't need to disconnect a thing, it'll just be a case of flicking a switch :eyebrows:

By the way, if you want one of those switch boxes i have one sat here doing nothing. Yours for the cost of postage if you want it :cool:

:wow: ............ I see it all now ... :doh: ........... In my defence I must say I am sitting a long way from any hifi equipment so I have nothing to reference to here ,, :) ......... I amazed more folks do not grasp this solution .. it has to be the best of both worlds if you can live without 7:1 and all the fancy movie soundtrack thingies out there now .. .. Thanks you for your kind offer of the switch box ... and all your patience and help with working this out .. As I may have mentioned I will not be home for some time so no point in taking advantage of your help with this just yet.
I will still also buy the Beresford so I can switch between power amps for my main set up .. I looked again at it and saw where I was mistaken for this application ... :doh: .... but I can still use it :) !

I owe you a few beers Mark .... ... :cheers:

jon1
25-02-2011, 19:10
It would seem that most AV systems are not designed to integrate easily with high end audio. There is a lot to be said for just watching TV in stereo. :)

I agree but i have one that dose:eyebrows:..A lot of years in the making to get it right;)

jon

Jac Hawk
25-02-2011, 21:46
I agree but i have one that dose:eyebrows:..A lot of years in the making to get it right;)

jon

I think the main reason that A/V setups have a bad rep when it comes to sound quality is that folks either look to get an "all in one box" system, that are just crap pure and simple, or, they buy an A/V amp and a microscopic 5.1 speaker system "bose spring to mind", at the end of the day there is a good reason for having speakers of a certain size, it doesn't matter what you play through em, music, movies, games etc. a decent sized speaker is always going to sound better that a sub/sat setup, so if you take your time and get decent speakers and a decent amp and then set it up right "which can be tricky" there is no reason why you can't have a great sounding A/V setup, ok not as good as a dedicated stereo system for music, but very pleasing none the less

jon1
26-02-2011, 14:02
I think the main reason that A/V setups have a bad rep when it comes to sound quality is that folks either look to get an "all in one box" system, that are just crap pure and simple, or, they buy an A/V amp and a microscopic 5.1 speaker system "bose spring to mind", at the end of the day there is a good reason for having speakers of a certain size, it doesn't matter what you play through em, music, movies, games etc. a decent sized speaker is always going to sound better that a sub/sat setup, so if you take your time and get decent speakers and a decent amp and then set it up right "which can be tricky" there is no reason why you can't have a great sounding A/V setup, ok not as good as a dedicated stereo system for music, but very pleasing none the less

Mike when you get it right;)..A lot of practice....and mistakes and money over the years:eek:

jon

Jac Hawk
26-02-2011, 14:17
Mike when you get it right;)..A lot of practice....and mistakes and money over the years:eek:

jon

With respect mate, what i have is bloody good to my ears, sure i could improve it, but at what cost? trust me it would be thousands, money which i don't have right now, i've chosen main speakers that i've always liked the sound of, and an A/V amp that was noted to punch above it's price bracket and luckily compliments my speakers, the only weak link is the sub and only for movies, something i will fix when the right sub turnes up for the right price :eyebrows:

jon1
26-02-2011, 14:30
With respect mate, what i have is bloody good to my ears, sure i could improve it, but at what cost? trust me it would be thousands, money which i don't have right now, i've chosen main speakers that i've always liked the sound of, and an A/V amp that was noted to punch above it's price bracket and luckily compliments my speakers, the only weak link is the sub and only for movies, something i will fix when the right sub turnt up for the right price :eyebrows:

Mike when you have a fat wallet have a look at one of these http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400.htm have had one for a few months now no complaints;)..welcome to the hobby of diminution returns:)

Sir Real
10-05-2019, 14:20
Hi
Newbie, and reading this post with interest. As I detailed in my 'Welcome' post, I retired to Fuerteventura a couple of years back, and left my old stereo behind. Replaced with a Cyrus 6a and MA Bronze 5s. Soon concluded that I spent too long watching film and TV, so should have surround sound to do so. Was not prepared to ditch the nearly new Cyrus for an AVR. Did a 'quick and dirty' improv, with a mega cheapo 5.1 decoder feeding the Cyrus, as well as separate Class D budget amps driving the rear and centre speakers (no sub).

The above was more a proof of concept than a serious attempt at surround sound - works tho'!:). From it (and from diligent googling) I've learned that:
Surround is great for TV and film
It's about sensation and experience, rather than audio quality
Consequently, I want to retain a discrete stereo system, which also integrates into the AV setup
Music mixed down to 2 track stereo sounds better played thus.
Few if any AVRs can match stereo equipment for audio quality

I know previous posts have been along the lines of 'whatever floats your water borne vessel', so apols if the above is obvious to some, and anathema to others. Now I'm planning to upgrade the AV tat I have with a Marantz NR1509. It has the necessary pre-outs to integrate the Cyrus for front speakers, and will act as pre-amp for streamed stereo vids such as Youtube lala.

Questions are, will the Marantz integrate adequately with the Cyrus for surround sound - I gather Marantz has a signature sound? Is it likely to function adequately as a pre-amp streamer for the Cyrus? Thanks if you've read this far. Now off to listen to some Pantera (I feel the need for a spiritual sledgehammer :))

Macca
10-05-2019, 16:56
I would say the answers are yes and yes.

For music I'd expect the Marantz to have a slightly different character to the Cyrus, for surround sound I'd be surprised if you can tell any difference. But it will all be compatible

Sir Real
10-05-2019, 19:43
Thanks Martin
Good to know your view coincides with mine. I believe I'd be ok with the setup described, but it's all a bit 'by guess and by God'. It's also a question of logistics - you'd be surprised how many online sales items (Ebay and Amazon included) won't ship to the Canaries. Fortunately, with the Marantz, I have a few options. (And don't even think about local suppliers!)

Cheers,
Chris

Macca
10-05-2019, 22:15
Thanks Martin
Good to know your view coincides with mine. I believe I'd be ok with the setup described, but it's all a bit 'by guess and by God'. It's also a question of logistics - you'd be surprised how many online sales items (Ebay and Amazon included) won't ship to the Canaries. Fortunately, with the Marantz, I have a few options. (And don't even think about local suppliers!)

Cheers,
Chris

But on the plus side you get to live in the Canaries. I'd probably take that deal on balance. :)

Sir Real
13-05-2019, 09:46
But on the plus side you get to live in the Canaries. I'd probably take that deal on balance. :)
That's true Macca, so yeah, swings and roundabouts. I knew this place was quirky when I moved here. Plus there's the satisfaction of finding a problem, then identifying and implementing a solution. The probs are usually self-inflicted, mind, but if you decide that you want to do something, and want to do it in a certain way, that's what you have to do. Or maybe I'm just obstinate and inflexible? Nah...

Cheers,
Chris

Jac Hawk
28-01-2023, 14:03
Ok a quick question, on my A/V amp I have 2 x line level outputs for subwoofers labelled sub1 and sub2 imaginatively, I have it connected to a Bose acoustimass 10 series 5 and it’s connected strangely, you have L&R speaker cables for all 5 channels plus a line level for the sub, however this harness terminates at the Bose sub and the 5 satellite speakers plug into that. I’ve recently bought a REL storm and want to connect to the 2nd line level sub output, the REL has 3 inputs, high level, low level and balanced, and uses 3 pin XLR plugs to connect to the mono built in amp, I know I need to connect to the low level input but as the cable is connected with 2 positive and 1 negative do I need to connect the 2 positive wires to the positive on the RCA plug which goes into the A/V amp or do I just need connect 1positive?

Firebottle
30-01-2023, 07:42
I would imagine that you only need one positive connection from the Sub2 output. I don't think there is any harm in connecting both positives.

The filtering and channel combination would be done inside the AV amp so all the bass info would be available.

Lawrence001
30-01-2023, 07:57
Ok a quick question, on my A/V amp I have 2 x line level outputs for subwoofers labelled sub1 and sub2 imaginatively, I have it connected to a Bose acoustimass 10 series 5 and it’s connected strangely, you have L&R speaker cables for all 5 channels plus a line level for the sub, however this harness terminates at the Bose sub and the 5 satellite speakers plug into that. I’ve recently bought a REL storm and want to connect to the 2nd line level sub output, the REL has 3 inputs, high level, low level and balanced, and uses 3 pin XLR plugs to connect to the mono built in amp, I know I need to connect to the low level input but as the cable is connected with 2 positive and 1 negative do I need to connect the 2 positive wires to the positive on the RCA plug which goes into the A/V amp or do I just need connect 1positive?It sounds like you've got the high level cable which terminates in a Speakon plug rather than balanced. The low level should just be RCA I think?

Could you post a photo of the cable and the back of the Rel?