PDA

View Full Version : Soak testing the MN bearing

JazzBones
15-01-2011, 22:43
:) In another thread I made mentioned that I have finally 'hot rodded ye ole 1210'. Well in conjunction with this I have had my TT on soak test re: mechanical attribute of my newly installed Mike New bearing being given a right old sustained usuage. The TT has not been connected to the amps, only mains powered, and left to spin on 33 also 45 rpm everyday from Monday 8am and is still running as I type this at 10PM Saturday (today), this approx 16 hours a day for nearly a week! It maybe a daft thing to do but I wanted to prove to myself that I was right in sticking with the MN bearing when some were junking theirs or reverting to a downgrade. I was right (!) the stock platter is loaded by a Rubato copper mat plus a 430 gm record spindle weight under test. After all this time there is no hum, no drifting of speed, no loss of oil, or any other malfunction, whacko the beaut Mike :lol: PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT provoking another battle of the two bearings but to lend my testimony to a good and sound product which has vindicated my belief in the first place. Providing power is a 'Timestep HE Low Noise Power Supply' correctly earthed to bottom left grounding, which has has also undergone parellel soak test (mechanical attribute) and is performing very well, so thumbs up on this one as well :) Tomorrow an OC9Mk2 will be fitted into a Sumiko H/shell, bolted to the Jelco 750D AO Van damme arm lead and away I go into music nirvana :)

Ron :popcorn:

Marco
16-01-2011, 11:57
Hi Ron,

Nice one - I applaud your thoroughness! :)

I think anyone with half a brain, and with any necessary blinkers taken off, knew that the nonsense DC was spreading about MN bearings leaking oil and seizing in hot climates (lol! :mental:) was complete bollocks, designed simply to discredit a perfectly good product after a fall-out between Mike New and him.

If anyone actually bought that shite and swapped their perfectly good MN bearings for 'superior' TimeStep ones then, quite frankly, they need their heads looked at! :rolleyes:

Also, as people should know by now, I would NEVER use a faulty product or anything other than what I consider as the best on my own turntable!

Anyway, that aside, I'm glad that your decision to retain the MN bearing has been vindicated, so enjoy the music....

Once you've gotten used to your T/T with all the various mods, we'll swap PSUs for a week, and inform, I'm sure many interested people on the 'net, of which we consider as best between the Paul Hynes SR5 and Timestep HE :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
16-01-2011, 13:32
A heavy duty bearing like Mikes should need any running in at all, although I fully understand where Ron's coming from on this. I do still feel that for normal non tweaky use, there's still a very valid place for the modified Timestep one, which costs substantially less and should further increase the obviously reliable life of the standard article if heavy platters are not in consideration.

Ron, what are you going to do with the LP12 you've had for so long? Do you now have two systems? By the way, if you don't have the long stainless Allen bolts, washers and nuts for your OC9 (instead of the aly/brass ones), I think I have some the right length I could post you (I think I still have your address). It would be tragic to scratch the Sumiko headshell IMO.

Marco
16-01-2011, 13:54
Hi Dave,

I do still feel that for normal non tweaky use, there's still a very valid place for the modified Timestep one, which costs substantially less and should further increase the obviously reliable life of the standard article if heavy platters are not in consideration.

Indeed - it definitely has its place. The point is, however, that it is *NOT* in any way superior to (or as good as) Mike's high precision bearing, as was being purported at the time by DC on his Timestep forum.

Marco.

mike1210
16-01-2011, 14:03
I was lucky to win one of the Mike Bearings off ebay from DC which Mike New very kindly refurbed for me.

Within 5 seconds of playing the Michael Jackson Off The Wall LP it was like a different deck, so much clearer.

I have never heard the Timestep bearing so can't compare them but I think the bearing has given the biggest improvement on me deck.

The Timestep power supply to be fair to DC also gave a great improvement.

I think the next step for me is a DL103 on me Jelco 750D:eyebrows:

DSJR
16-01-2011, 14:09
Hi Dave,

Indeed - it definitely has its place. The point is, however, that it is *NOT* in any way superior to (or as good as) Mike's high precision bearing, as was being purported at the time by DC on his Timestep forum.

Marco.

I never suggested it was :) but the mod over the standard article seems to make sense, as the supplied bearing has the cutout for the no longer needed gearing for the auto cam from earlier models...

Marco
16-01-2011, 14:28
No, I know you weren't, but certain other people were, so I just wanted to knock that pish on the head! ;)

Marco.