PDA

View Full Version : Gatorized Caiman

magiccarpetride
07-01-2011, 03:49
Scary!

StanleyB
07-01-2011, 08:00
Have you got a friend who can help you do the mod?

magiccarpetride
07-01-2011, 14:47
Have you got a friend who can help you do the mod?

No, I did it myself, it was super easy (thanks to your excellent gatoraid page:)

The scary part came immediately afterwards, when we sat down to listen -- the sound became holographic, gave us enormous goose-bumps, it was so good that it actually became scary!

mike1210
07-01-2011, 16:42
Yep I did mine this week as well sounds awesome :)

StanleyB
07-01-2011, 16:48
The scary part came immediately afterwards, when we sat down to listen -- the sound became holographic, gave us enormous goose-bumps, it was so good that it actually became scary!
Yeah, but if you look at the size of a gator versus a caiman, the gator is scary in comparison ;).

magiccarpetride
07-01-2011, 17:30
Yeah, but if you look at the size of a gator versus a caiman, the gator is scary in comparison ;).

David vs. Goliath?

StanleyB
07-01-2011, 17:41
Not Quite. I think David won that match...

Stratmangler
07-01-2011, 17:49
Alex

The Caiman/Gator headphone output is excellent - did you put an opamp into the carrier on the Gator.
You can use one of the two from on the daughterboard you've removed if you you haven't already done so.

If I were you I'd plug the Grados in, turn up the volume a bit, then leave music playing for a week or two to loosen the Grados up.

magiccarpetride
07-01-2011, 18:00
Alex

The Caiman/Gator headphone output is excellent - did you put an opamp into the carrier on the Gator.
You can use one of the two from on the daughterboard you've removed if you you haven't already done so.

If I were you I'd plug the Grados in, turn up the volume a bit, then leave music playing for a week or two to loosen the Grados up.

Yes, I made the opamp switcharoo (I've followed the mod instructions on Stan's gatoraid page religiously). I did already go earlier on through the exercise you've suggested above (left Grados plugged in for a few weeks on constant burn in; didn't do much improvement, as far as I could tell).

Perhaps with the Gator mod, even these lousy Grados will blossom to full life?

Stratmangler
07-01-2011, 18:04
Perhaps with the Gator mod, even these lousy Grados will blossom to full life?

Hopefully:)
The headphone amp in the Caiman is very, very good.

magiccarpetride
07-01-2011, 18:09
Hopefully:)
The headphone amp in the Caiman is very, very good.

Will give it a try later today, and will get back with my findings (if they're worth reporting, that is).

I'm still too much in awe at the life-like sound I'm now getting out of my Maggies as they're being fed this newly minted high octane signal coming out of the gatorized Caiman. I need to wait till I catch my breath first.

magiccarpetride
09-01-2011, 20:34
Scary!

Just wanted to add that I'm spending the weekend pretty much glued to my stereo. Can't force my self to turn it off. I'm rediscovering my music library in a grand way.

For example, "Yesterday" by the Beatles (probably the song I've heard the most of all the songs ever -- I've been listening to it since I was 8, and I'm almost 54 now, so I thought I know it inside out): it now sounds like a completely new song. I couldn't believe my ears what this gatorization did to the sound. McCartney's presence is now holographic, he is etched in the space in front of me so vividly, that I almost feel like it's just too much.

Also, I can now, for the first time ever, hear with absolute clarity his fingers moving on the acoustic guitar. Such breathtaking detail, such reckless precision! (don't even get me started on how does the string quarter in the left speaker sound -- it's really scary).

So yeah, I'm rediscovering the entire Beatles catalog. It sounds brand new and super fresh now.

Jonboy
09-01-2011, 21:19
Just ordered one to see what all the fuss is about

Labarum
09-01-2011, 21:42

Some folk get rather over exited about upgrades, and resort to all sorts of immoderate language.

I have bought the upgrade. It makes the Caiman better. Do I think it was worth the £30. Yes.

Was it a life changing experience? No, but it's nice to have.

When I get back to Nicosia at the end of the month I will be interested to hear what difference it makes on the big system.

I will report.

Thanks for your good work, Stan.

magiccarpetride
10-01-2011, 17:54

One curious thing (at least to me) is the across the board claim that the Gator increases the output volume of the Caiman. I didn't find that to be the case at all. To my ears, the volume is pretty much the same (as a matter of fact, when I first plugged it in, it seemed almost a tad bit quieter than the unmodded Caiman).

However, because now with the Gator board in there is so much more music than before, it feels denser, thicker, livelier, more kicking ass, and hence the impression that it's also louder.

Or maybe I'm off my rocker, maybe there are some measurements that prove that gatorized Caiman is indeed louder?

The Vinyl Adventure
10-01-2011, 18:00
Louder than the passive mod I think is what's meant

Alex_UK
10-01-2011, 18:00
One curious thing (at least to me) is the across the board claim that the Gator increases the output volume of the Caiman. I didn't find that to be the case at all. To my ears, the volume is pretty much the same (as a matter of fact, when I first plugged it in, it seemed almost a tad bit quieter than the unmodded Caiman).

However, because now with the Gator board in there is so much more music than before, it feels denser, thicker, livelier, more kicking ass, and hence the impression that it's also louder.

Or maybe I'm off my rocker, maybe there are some measurements that prove that gatorized Caiman is indeed louder?

I believe it will only be louder if you had previously done the Passive Output mod - I think I'm right in saying it was developed to give the advantages of the passive output but with a bit more oomph - i.e. to bring the gain back up but with the extra musicality - as you have discovered! :)

DSJR
10-01-2011, 18:53
Greater dynamic range is probably what "we" are all talking about.

magiccarpetride
11-01-2011, 00:20
Greater dynamic range os probably what "we" are all talking about.

I now see (hear) where you're coming from. It is indeed one of the unsung virtues of this mod that it introduces dizzyingly huge dynamic range. So much so that the music played through other DACs now appear way too polite to me.

Yes, indeed, Gatorized Caiman truly cuts through. Any traces of candy coating are now gone, damn the good manners, because this instrument just delivers music in its full, unapologetic glory. The vocals now cut through, the trumpets pierce our eardrums, the drums rock the house. Dynamics, seemingly that's where the music is at...

magiccarpetride
12-01-2011, 23:19
Some folk get rather over exited about upgrades, and resort to all sorts of immoderate language.

Guilty as charged. This is due to the fact that I'm only obsessed about music. I don't care about the equipment, just as long as it can take me to that magical place where the speakers disappear, the room disappears, and I am left completely alone, face-to-face with music.

This Gator mod took me there... and hence I'm gushing.

Fi-Wi
14-01-2011, 18:55
Does the Gator needs to break-in?

I just got it up and running but would like to know if this little part needs to be run-in if fitted into an already run-in Caiman.

magiccarpetride
14-01-2011, 20:26
Does the Gator needs to break-in?

I just got it up and running but would like to know if this little part needs to be run-in if fitted into an already run-in Caiman.

I've been running the Gator mod in constant burn in for more than a week now, and must say that I haven't noticed any difference. In my experience, it sounds great right out of the box, and there is no discernible volatility in the way it keeps working (unlike Caiman itself, which was a completely different story).

Ali Tait
14-01-2011, 20:28
I'd say the components on the board will sound better after a bit of break-in, so yes, give them a few hours.

Ali Tait
14-01-2011, 20:29
I posted before seeing Alex's post. Perhaps Stan runs them in?

magiccarpetride
14-01-2011, 20:49
I posted before seeing Alex's post. Perhaps Stan runs them in?

Not sure. I am a big advocate of burning your Caiman in all the way (I remember noticing improvements well into hundreds of hours of burn in; it's that sophisticated!)

I was expecting pretty much the same behavior from the Gator mod, but haven't been able, for the life of me, to hear even the slightest volatility in the DAC's performance as the Gator board was/is burning in.

Interesting... ymmv

Maximum
14-01-2011, 21:33
Out of the box mine sounded great too. The headphone side of things seemed to benefit from a little time though.

Fi-Wi
15-01-2011, 10:24
Ok thanks, I love the Gator sound so I am not dissapointed I bought it.

My Gator has an AD826 opamp especially for headphone listening. Does anyone know if the sound with an AD826 installed will be worse then with an LM4562 installed, when listening to music over the speakers, so without headphones?

slate
15-01-2011, 10:29
It is my understanding that the OPAMP is only used for the headphone.
With the Gator the lineout section became discreet

Fi-Wi
15-01-2011, 11:23
I guess you are right.

I only just read the "The discrete TC-7520(SE)(+) line output" thread in the DB-forum.

Being a non-technician in this technical world, it isn't always easy to comprehend it all in once. I just love the outcome!

Fi-Wi
15-01-2011, 18:34
The "down side" of the Gatorized Caiman is that it reveals how many crappy internet radio streams there are. :steam:

My main music source is a Squeezebox Classic and next to my FLAC and high bit rated mp3 files, I listen to radiostreams every day (Radio Paradise 128aac rules). Now that I added the Gator to my Caiman it becomes clear that a lot of radio streams are just poor, especially with headphones.

The Gator also reveals that surprisingly many albums I hear on Rhapsody (broadcasts at 192 kb/s) are recorded far below standard so they make my headphones hiss and crackle. It makes me aware again that only the best d/l's and ripping quality suffices.

Despite the aforementioned "drawbacks" or beter called "eyeopeners", I just love the Gatorized Caiman!

dogsnadgers
23-01-2011, 12:42
Hi
Just having a proper listen to my Gator, it is very revealing, I am definitely hearing things I have not heard before, I am finding it a bit bright at the moment but it may settle down given a burn in (maybe I just need to turn the volume down a bit!), the sound seems bigger than it did and more room filling. My Neats are singing! Unlike others I haven't found the bass to be increased, thankfully as I was a bit concerned about this, I get enough already! Well worth £35 shipped next day, thanks Stan!

Dave

Fi-Wi
26-02-2011, 14:05
I've been running the Gator mod in constant burn in for more than a week now, and must say that I haven't noticed any difference. In my experience, it sounds great right out of the box, and there is no discernible volatility in the way it keeps working (unlike Caiman itself, which was a completely different story).

The first weeks after I installed my Gator + AD826 opamps, I kept hearing a slightly crackling sound when the music reached a certain (rather high) frequency. Especially noticable when listening to choir music. Rather unpleasant and actually discouraged me to listen music through headphones.

When listening through my other set of headphones I heard the same, so I was about to return the Gator/828 combo to Stan for an opamp check, because through my speakers everything sounded great. I decided to leave my Squeezbox on all night long for a couple of nights first, before I'd send it back to its architect....

..... and now the crackling is gone!

I guess the nightly sessions benefited my Caiman/Gator after all.

chapter three
26-02-2011, 16:45
I've noticed a slight distortion on some tracks, particularly female vocal, piano and acoustic guitar. It's only on some tracks and always when there are dynamic changes in the track. I've played the same tracks through my CD player and the distortion is not there. I've only noticed this since the Gator was fitted to my Caiman. Anyone else heard this and got any idea why it's happening?

Puffin
26-02-2011, 16:51
Too much gain = Pain.

Alex_UK
26-02-2011, 23:19
Too much gain = Pain.

He's not wrong - I had the same problem - PM Stan - he will have a solution to lower the gain a little, but still give you all the gator goodness :)

aBe
27-02-2011, 04:13
Running in the Gator board now..

I did experienced some distortion on certain songs too.
Clipping due to the extra gain I supposed?
To go around that issue, I turned down the volume/output a bit on the Itunes (using Dithered Volume control via Pure Music).

Regardless, the Gator really contributes a marked improvement over the standard board. Improved details and resolution..bass..bass..bass..

2 Thumbs up, Stan !

maniac
27-02-2011, 08:38
I've noticed a slight distortion on some tracks, particularly female vocal, piano and acoustic guitar. It's only on some tracks and always when there are dynamic changes in the track. I've played the same tracks through my CD player and the distortion is not there. I've only noticed this since the Gator was fitted to my Caiman. Anyone else heard this and got any idea why it's happening?

Hi Martin,

there was thread somewhere here on AOS about simmilar issue and it was enough to open Caiman, take out the borad and put it into sockets back again = just issue with contacts between Gator PCB and caiman. I think it could be worth to try it.

chapter three
27-02-2011, 10:07
Thanks, I'll give it a try. The Caiman is off to Tirna tomorrow for Muratas and Rubycons. I might ask Dr Jimmy to have a look at the Gator connection too.

Fi-Wi
05-03-2011, 18:04
Unfortunately I still hear distortion when listening to streaming audio over headphones thru my Caiman/Gator combo.

Could it be a faulty 826 opamp (since music over speaker sounds great)? I reinstalled the (pristine) Gator as some suggested but the distortion is still there. :steam:

StanleyB
05-03-2011, 18:44
I told you more than a month ago to send it back so I can check it out. I have an updated version with some tweaks based on the gain and headphone mods I did for Werner and Alex_UK coming out at the end of next week. So if you are quick I might let you try one of those to try.

Fi-Wi
05-03-2011, 18:58
Due to situations I wasn't able to do the extensive testing I intended, but I will post my Gator to you next monday Stan.

CentraL
17-03-2011, 13:38
Cheers!

Newbie Caiman (to be) owner here!

How easy is the instalation of the Gator for the average guy?

Define average -> can build his pc on his own from scratch/ basic soldering skill.

Thank you!

Alex_UK
17-03-2011, 13:50
Hi Lefteris, if you could kindly make your next post a general introduction in the Welcome thread that would be appreciated - thanks.

To answer your question - very easy - no soldering needed - four screws to remove the case cover, a little cutting of the adhesive that holds the original board in, and then the Gator just slots into the pcb board making sure you have it the right way round, and the correct pins lined up.

Here is Hamish's photo of his installation to help you get the board the right way round. Simple! :)

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/80565c85.jpg

(Hope you don't mind Hamish, but easier than linking to your original post.)

CentraL
17-03-2011, 14:57
Thank you so much for the reply! :)

magiccarpetride
17-03-2011, 17:46
Cheers!

Newbie Caiman (to be) owner here!

How easy is the instalation of the Gator for the average guy?

Define average -> can build his pc on his own from scratch/ basic soldering skill.

Thank you!

Extremely easy, but make sure you have a good sharp exacto knife near by. The fairly large blob of glue (at least in my Caiman) was a challenge, and I remember spending good 5 minutes or so slowly and gingerly chipping away at it. Just go slow and steady, and once you cut that blob of glue off, the rest is a true no-brainer!

Happy Gatoring!

Fi-Wi
17-03-2011, 18:49
I agree on the blob removal! It made me wonder why it is there anyway?:scratch: Too many unsubtle people out there who plug and unplug their headphone jacks?

Its a bitch to remove, at least for me it was. But it's worth the ordeal. :eyebrows:

magiccarpetride
17-03-2011, 19:37
I agree on the blob removal! It made me wonder why it is there anyway?:scratch: Too many unsubtle people out there who plug and unplug their headphone jacks?

Its a bitch to remove, at least for me it was. But it's worth the ordeal. :eyebrows:

My guess (Stan will correct me if I'm wrong) is that the blob of glue is applied as a protective measure during shipping?

StanleyB
17-03-2011, 20:53
It's there to attract good vibes ;).

Alex_UK
17-03-2011, 21:19
It's there to attract good vibes ;).

Ah, it's a Beltist Blob! I wish I hadn't de-blobbed mine now! :lol:

Fi-Wi
17-03-2011, 22:04
My guess (Stan will correct me if I'm wrong) is that the blob of glue is applied as a protective measure during shipping?

Shipping? It's not like they drop parcels from airplanes over here in the Netherlands. :)

magiccarpetride
17-03-2011, 23:19
Shipping? It's not like they drop parcels from airplanes over here in the Netherlands. :)

My Caiman was delivered by a group of breathtakingly gorgeous fairies who were floating through the air (thanks Stan, that was a nice touch:) They gently lowered the DAC on my front porch. I was afraid to open the door, fearing that they may be sirens in disguise and that they will lure me toward my own demise with their devilish songs.

I waited until they've departed, and then subjected my Caiman to a merciless and brutal process of burn-in. The rest, as they say, is history...

Labarum
18-03-2011, 04:19
mmm

I'm not sure which notion is more fanciful: that fairies deliver Standacs or that "burn in" makes any difference.

Fi-Wi
18-03-2011, 07:00
Troll alert! :lol:

Filterlab
19-03-2011, 12:56
My Caiman was delivered by a group of breathtakingly gorgeous fairies who were floating through the air (thanks Stan, that was a nice touch:) They gently lowered the DAC on my front porch. I was afraid to open the door, fearing that they may be sirens in disguise and that they will lure me toward my own demise with their devilish songs....
You've obviously got a different postman to me then.