PDA

View Full Version : Denon HA-500 MC Head Amplifier

Marco
02-08-2008, 16:33
Guys,

I've just taken delivery of this unit today and I'm in the process of testing it against the Auditorium A23 MC step-up transformer using Denon DL-103 Pro and 103R cartridges:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160262658467&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

So far initial impressions are very good. The unit is still cold and will need some running in. I will leave it on for 24 hours and do some serious listening tomorrow.

More soon!

Marco.

Yomanze
03-08-2008, 06:38
You got a proper bargain on that mate. Was looking at similar in eBay but it went to silly money early on. Should you want to move it on, I'd appreciate a PM. :eyebrows:

Marco
03-08-2008, 06:50
Yeah they're as rare as hen's falsers, mate. I think they were about £400 or so in the late 70s, so I can't imagine what it would cost if they were made today!

It's a quality piece of kit, no question, and makes the 103 sing in a way that's quite different from the A23...

If (and it's very unlikely) I move it on you'll be my first port of call.

More later, when I wake up properly! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
06-08-2008, 22:27
My apologies - things have been a bit busy!

Ok, a précis (as at the moment I don't really have the time to do a full review) is that the A23 and HA-500 do things differently - neither is superior in all areas to the other, so which one is perceived as 'best' will depend on individual preference and, most likely, system balance.

The HA-500 is more refined sounding and 'precise' with a slightly warmer tone. I would say based on extensive listening that it matches the 103 even better than the A23, as I suppose you would expect as both Denon products were designed with each other in mind.

The A23 has more 'balls', slightly more gain, and it presents music in a more dramatic, 'edge of the seat' way, but ultimately doesn't have the overall finesse, tonal accuracy, and feeling of 'rightness' of the quite superb HA-500, which is really a fantastic piece of kit. It looks like quality, with its superb build and finish, and sounds like quality, too. It's also pretty heavy considering it is merely a MC Head amp. A quick glance under the bonnet reveals that is has a very generously sized PSU, which no doubt contributes significantly to its excellent sound.

There is much more I would like to say about my experiences with both units over the last few days but unfortunately at the moment time constraints prevent me from doing so. I'm certainly glad I own both an A23 and HA-500 as both of them bring out the special magic of the 103 cartridge but in their own engaging and addictive way. I would recommend anyone who owns a DL-103 of any description to try both of these devices, and if you spot an HA-500 on Ebay to snap it up immediately. Quite simply unless you own one of them (or an AU-S1) you haven't heard what a DL-103 can really do - and when you get it right to this degree the results are truly magical...

To be continued!

Marco.