PDA

View Full Version : Techie stock tonearm questions

Epicurus
03-01-2011, 19:24
OK, so I've mounted the cartridge - an Ortofon 2M Red - my tonearm is, well, the stock one...

But now I have two questions.

The first one regards the tonearm lock knob. After adjusting the arm height, I turned the knob clockwise as per the instructions. However, it seems that the arm height can still be adjusted despite the arm being locked down.

Second question: There seems to be a bit of play in the tonearm - arm height adjustment ring assembly. If you pull down on the counterweight, the arm assembly tilts slightly to the back of the deck.

Is this stuff normal for the Techie tonearm or should I have it checked by a technician?

Spectral Morn
03-01-2011, 19:38
OK, so I've mounted the cartridge - an Ortofon 2M Red - my tonearm is, well, the stock one...

But now I have two questions.

The first one regards the tonearm lock knob. After adjusting the arm height, I turned the knob clockwise as per the instructions. However, it seems that the arm height can still be adjusted despite the arm being locked down.

Second question: There seems to be a bit of play in the tonearm - arm height adjustment ring assembly. If you pull down on the counterweight, the arm assembly tilts slightly to the back of the deck.

Is this stuff normal for the Techie tonearm or should I have it checked by a technician?

No its normal....

The main flaw with the deck is this aspect of the arm. The VTA adjuster is a great idea but it adds a structural weakness. With the lever hard across it reduces the movement but if you push hard you can still get the arm to move :( However the movement in my case was slight...yours sounds like it moves more. Its hard to say without being there to see.

Regards D S D L

Epicurus
03-01-2011, 19:45
Thanks for your reply; I found that locking the arm restricts this play to about one quarter of a millimeter.

Spectral Morn
03-01-2011, 20:00
Even with this issue the deck still sounds pretty good.....it can though with the well discussed (on AOS) additions and changes sound much, much better.

Regards D S D L

Epicurus
03-01-2011, 20:08
I'm already planning to get a spare arm and headshell and send them both to Audio Origami for foam filling and rewiring while I enjoy my deck in its stock form.

DSJR
03-01-2011, 23:19
My tuppence worth...

Get a Sumiko shell and save your tonearm mod pennies until you can make a real change to the arm, like the proposed Funk mod (although this may devalue the deck?) or possibly the Jelco 750, which shouldn't be too massy for the Ortofon and will extend the cartridge choice IMO...

Epicurus
03-01-2011, 23:45
I'm keeping the deck, so resale value will not be an issue in the next 30 years. The Jelco is a rather costly option for the time being; after all, I was told by j7 at Audio Origami that the stock arm is a decent design that can work well with better wiring and foam filling, a rather affordable upgrade that might just keep the deck on par with a more expensive amp and speaker combination. As for my next cartridge, I'm considering something from Sound Smith's SMMC series (basically upgraded versions of B&O MMCs - one of the products that B&O got right).

DSJR
04-01-2011, 11:57
Sounds cool to me :) At least you're thinking it through properly..

The B&O cartridges were always good, if a little laid-back in balance (I own an SP14, SP12, MMC20EN and CL) and the main criticism, which Soundsmith address I think, is the 1/2" mount adaptor, which wasn't the tightest fitting on any of the MMC types.

I ought to mention Axel -

http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/en/Reparatur-Retipping-Service/

You'll need to use a translator if you're not into german as a language, but he comes very highly recommended for re-tipping/re-building on the Beoworld forums and a pic of an MMC20CL that he apparently did looked identical to the original, if not better (I'm sure there are suppliers of cantilevers with diamonds ready polished, set and fitted, only needing to be fitted to the generators).

kininigin
04-01-2011, 12:07
My tuppence worth...

Get a Sumiko shell and save your tonearm mod pennies until you can make a real change to the arm, like the proposed Funk mod (although this may devalue the deck?) or possibly the Jelco 750, which shouldn't be too massy for the Ortofon and will extend the cartridge choice IMO...

hi dave,do you know any more about the funk firm mod? I've got a damaged arm which i was thinking of replacing with a AO 1200 rewired stock arm or maybe a jelco SA-250ST.

Epicurus
04-01-2011, 14:23
Sounds cool to me :) At least you're thinking it through properly..

I have to, as I'm not exactly in the position to quote Guybrush Threepwood's "I have so much money it's almost embarassing" line.

The B&O cartridges were always good, if a little laid-back in balance (I own an SP14, SP12, MMC20EN and CL) and the main criticism, which Soundsmith address I think, is the 1/2" mount adaptor, which wasn't the tightest fitting on any of the MMC types.

Yes, Soundsmith do make a 1/2 mount adaptor; in fact, I saw they make two versions, one made of clear acrylic (like a turntable lid) and one made of ebony. I'd rather go for the ebony one.

I ought to mention Axel -

http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/en/Reparatur-Retipping-Service/

You'll need to use a translator if you're not into german as a language, but he comes very highly recommended for re-tipping/re-building on the Beoworld forums and a pic of an MMC20CL that he apparently did looked identical to the original, if not better (I'm sure there are suppliers of cantilevers with diamonds ready polished, set and fitted, only needing to be fitted to the generators).

Well, if he can communicate in English, I'll consider him. For now, though, I'm keeping my Ortofon 2M Red/Musical Fidelity V-LPS combo; I'll start thinking about a better cartridge later.

Darren
04-01-2011, 17:33
I think it's high time that Arthur came on AOS again and told us about his Technics mods in detail ( with costs etc)
Anybody in contact with him?

kininigin
04-01-2011, 17:41
I think it's high time that Arthur came on AOS again and told us about his Technics mods in detail ( with costs etc)
Anybody in contact with him?

Do you mean the funk firm mods? If so i contacted them today by email,a chap named Danny van Read said they were really busy atm and would contact me and give details about the arm mod in a couple of days.

Darren
04-01-2011, 17:50
Do you mean the funk firm mods? If so i contacted them today by email,a chap named Danny van Read said they were really busy atm and would contact me and give details about the arm mod in a couple of days.

Brill! Please let us know what they have to say.

kininigin
17-01-2011, 22:08
Brill! Please let us know what they have to say.

they never did get back to me,sent a couple of emails but nothing.

I've gone for a jelco now.

Darren
18-01-2011, 01:05
I can hardly blame you. What can of support can you expect from companies who don't reply to enquiries?