PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre?

Macca
01-01-2011, 12:49
Just a suggestion - but what about having a specific area (or whatever it is called) for Home Theatre/Cinema/Surround Sound?

There are quite a few postings made on the subject but always in the Abstract Chat section e.g there was quite a long thread recently about televisions. I don't see any harm in having a proper section for these discussions and queries - so what about it?

Jac Hawk
01-01-2011, 13:21
Just a suggestion - but what about having a specific area (or whatever it is called) for Home Theatre/Cinema/Surround Sound?

There are quite a few postings made on the subject but always in the Abstract Chat section e.g there was quite a long thread recently about televisions. I don't see any harm in having a proper section for these discussions and queries - so what about it?

I second that!!

I due to lack of space have a 5.1 setup in my lounge, which doubles as my main stereo (if you can call it that) and i have a system upstairs in my bedroom too, but most of my listening is done in the lounge as i can be listening to music while surfin the net or doing other things, i would love a dedicated stereo system downstairs but i just don't have the room, and i'm sure there are other members in a similar situation, with eather a lack of space or a nagging other half putting her foot down to even more boxes, so a dedicated area to discuss anything using more than 2 speakers would be a welcome addition to what is an already great site.

Reid Malenfant
01-01-2011, 14:11
Oddly enough i also like the idea :eyebrows:

My home cinema shares the same front speakers as the hifi & the same pre-amp, it'll share a whole lot more before i'm done.

I know this is The Art Of Sound, so i ask if many of you have heard how good the lossless audio is on blu ray discs...

Imo it can be noticeably superior with 24 bit sound to any 16 bit CD, Billy Idol showed me the way :lol:

Audiocom AV
01-01-2011, 14:25

This is a good and welcome idea.

There are many instances where home cinema and home audio equipment merge, like the universal Blu-ray players which play CD, SACD, DVD-A.

Marco
01-01-2011, 14:53
Hi guys,

We could try it (if you *really*, REALLY want), but the worry is that it will spread the forum too thin and that this area would be pretty dead most of the time, which wouldn't look good.

The reality is that AV-orientated discussions on AoS are rare, and in any case, should be posted in 'Blank Canvas': the place where 'anything in audio goes', other than the specific subjects discussed in the designated sections of the forum elsewhere.......... ;)

Let me know what you think.

Anyway, Happy New Year, folks! :cool:

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
01-01-2011, 15:36
<snip> We could try it (if you *really*, REALLY want), but the worry is that it will spread the forum too thin and that this area would be pretty dead most of the time, which wouldn't look good.

The reality is that AV-orientated discussions on AoS are rare, and in any case
Are you refering to the AV section or the audio section being underused Marco? I'm assuming you mean a possible AV section :scratch:

If so fear not :eyebrows: I have quite a few DTS encoded 5/1 surround sound CD/DVDs that i can't really bring up on a stereo forum.. Other DVDs purely loaded with music in 5.1 as standard such as Richie Hawtin DE9 Transitions.

SACD isn't restricted to 2 channels either so there is room for at least 5.1 or greater sound system discussion :eyebrows: On top of that blu ray discs have brought 24 bit lossless sound as well as quality video.. Sadly it betters a bloody expensive CD transport even though it spins on a £200+ blu ray player :eek: :doh:

I doubt it'd be underused imo ;)

E2A:- Happy new year to yourself & your better half to Marco ;)

Audiocom AV
01-01-2011, 15:41
Hi guys,

We could try it (if you *really*, REALLY want), but the worry is that it will spread the forum too thin and that this area would be pretty dead most of the time, which wouldn't look good.

The reality is that AV-orientated discussions on AoS are rare, and in any case, should be posted in 'Blank Canvas': the place where 'anything in audio goes', other than the specific subjects discussed in the designated sections of the forum elsewhere.......... ;)

Let me know what you think.

Anyway, Happy New Year, folks! :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco

Happy New Year!

I would really like a section dedicated to Audio Visual, and rather than spread the forum too thin I think it will encourage a wider audience for AoS.

Perhaps give it a trial for a couple of months?

Best,
Mark

Marco
01-01-2011, 15:46
Hi Mark,

Are you refering to the AV section or the audio section being underused Marco? I'm assuming you mean a possible AV section :scratch:

I mean a possible AV section. I know you're keen on the subject, but amongst our near-3500 members and thousands of 'lurkers', I'm not so sure....

It would need to be used every day by a variety of people and for new discussions to be started REGULARLY for it to be viable.

TBH, I'd rather people used the Blank Canvas section of the forum for those types of discussions. To that effect, I've now mentioned AV in the decription under Blank Canvas, and also moved the TVs thread into there from Abstract Chat.

Happy new year to yourself & your better half to Marco ;)

Same to you, dude, and whatever/whoever you're sharing your duvet with these days! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
01-01-2011, 15:48
Hi Mark,

Happy New Year!

Same to you, buddy - hope you're having a nice one! :cool:

I would really like a section dedicated to Audio Visual, and rather than spread the forum too thin I think it will encourage a wider audience for AoS.

Perhaps give it a trial for a couple of months?

Ok, I'll put it to the rest of the team and see what they think... We'd also need to put it to other members in the form of a poll to see if it's something that is wanted by more than just a few people :)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
01-01-2011, 16:03
I mean a possible AV section. I know you're keen on the subject, but amongst our near-3500 members and thousands of 'lurkers', I'm not so sure....

It would need to be used every day by a variety of people and for new discussions to be started REGULARLY for it to be viable.
Hi Marco, have you seen how many of the regular posters replied on the "Telly" thread, there were quite a few & a good few of those had 2000+ posts ;)

I understand where you are coming from but in reality i kind of felt guilty in certain respects replying to it as it wasn't directly music related & got busy :scratch:

As has been mentioned, perhaps a trial period might prove whether it is worthwhile or not.

:)

Jac Hawk
01-01-2011, 16:28
I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle Marco, just because at the moment there isn't more discussion about theatre systems 5.1, 7.1 etc is more to do with the fact that there isn't any place to do it, look at it this way, before Sony invented the walkman people didn't see the need to be able to listen to music wherever they were, however nowadays most people have some sort of portable device.

I think a new section would be much the same and would ecourage more people to join and participate, for me a place to talk about getting the best out of my system would be great, as well as help and advice on improvements and upgrades specific to 5.1 or greater.

All i can say is give it a go, you can always bin it if it doesn't catch on, the die hard AOS members will still post regardless, but it may encourage more people to join and perhaps get people who seldom post, to be more involved. :)

Reid Malenfant
01-01-2011, 16:37
While i'm on the subject i might as well mention this :eyebrows:

I have been to the cinema a grand total of one time ever since i bought my first projector 6+ years ago ;)

Who wants to subject themselves to queues & £5 minimum entry fees, noisy kids/people when watching whatever, people in the way up front & blocking the screen going to the toilet :doh:

I just wait for it to come to me :lol: No idiots in the way, i can pause it if i need the loo & i can have a ciggie when i want etc... Stuff the cinema, i'm in bloomin heaven :eyebrows: I have had enough comments about the picture here being better than at the cinema from enough people ;)

Don't even mention the sound quality :lolsign:

Marco
01-01-2011, 16:41
I'm hearing ya, Mike (and Mark)....

Ok, so what if we made one of you guys the moderator for that section of the forum, and were thus responsible for nurturing and developing it? :)

It would involve starting and maintaining interesting/thought-provoking threads liable to pique the interest of those interested in AV, and monitoring them accordingly so that they remain polite and constructive.

I would give whoever it was total control to do what they wanted within the boundaries of our ethos. It would be a way of giving you guys an input in how the forum is shaped in the future. I'm all for rewarding our regular contributors!

Have a think about the idea and who should be given the relevant moderator position :cool:

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
01-01-2011, 17:03
Marco, cheers chap but i have a feeling there already might be mods out there that are already doing the 5.1 & AV trick :scratch: If not i must be mistaken..

I have been a mod on a few forums as i have mentioned in the past, AoS appears vastly easier from what i have seen though i can't see behind the scenes at the mods room :eyebrows: It's always an eye opener :)

Now while i applaud the thought of possibly getting something underway i'd suggest you think about a couple of mods to run the section (if you do it) & i'm not thinking of me either in the equation. I'd suggest you need differences of opinion to make it interesting & relevant.

A single person might not be subjective or even objective :eyebrows: You'll just get one overall input = not good...

If it was me i'd invite members who feel like they could contribute to add themselves to some kind of list & then get the whole forum to vote on who they'd like as a couple of mods dealing with it ;)

Just me living in an un-ideal world :lol:

E2A:- i'd put myself in for a vote if it came down to it & let the forum decide ;) I wouldn't trust myself to be impartial to what i already know though so at least one other mod would imo be needed at least :cool:

Jac Hawk
01-01-2011, 19:08
I'm in the same mind as Mark, in the sence that an A/V section to the forum would be great, and having a dedicated Mod or Mod's would keep it chugging along. Like Mark I also think that there are probably Mods aready that could do an A/V section justice, and i would suggest that you put it to the Moderator staff 1st to see if any of them want to take on the extra load.

If it came down to it, and I was asked to do a job, then of course I would, however I don't profess to be some great sage when it comes to the finer points of A/V and think that if one of the current Mods didn't want to do it, then a vote my be the best way forward. :)

Macca
02-01-2011, 12:35
Thanks for the response on this Marco and for backing me up Mike and Mark:)

I'm not any kind of expert on the subject either, my main attention is always on my 2 channel set up but it is fun to have decent sound on the TV especialy for films but also for watching music related programs - I watched Hendrix at the Isle of Wight at my mum's house the other week (on Sky Arts) - sound coming through the TV speakers.

The other night it was on again but this time I was at home so could run it (2 channel) through the home cinema - what a difference!

We seem to have 3 types of people on here when it comes to A/V:

1. Don't have a telly, don't watch any telly, proud of it.
2. Run the telly through the hi-fi system
3. Have a dedicated stereo system and a totally seperate Home Theatre system

Obviously there is no helping type 1 ;) but type 2 & 3 I am guessing would both contribute and benefit.

On top of that a dedicated A/V section would bring in (via Google searches etc) a lot of potential new members to the site who might otherwise never find it. A lot of these people would be in type 2) and so would also be interested in the stereo-hi-fi side of things.

I was looking at the Zerogain forum the other day and noticed a new member had posted a question about multi-channel set up. He got no response so posted again asking WTF? and a mod came on and advised him to go elsewhere for answers (not in an unkind way, but still a poor show IMHO).

As for requiring a moderator(s) well I hadn't really thought about that necessity, I am not a member of any other internet forum (hi-fi or otherwise) and I find messing about with computers both boring and frustrating in equal measure. I suppose having posed the original request I really should volunteer but in the immortal words of Nigel Tufnel - ' I dunno. What are the hours?'

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 13:06
The other night it was on again but this time I was at home so could run it (2 channel) through the home cinema - what a difference!

Mate you should try it on a full 5.1 or greater, nowadays i play all my music however it's coded in multi chanel using the SRS circle sound 2 setting on my amp, it gives the music drama and a much bigger soundstage, it turnes my humble 16 foot x 12 foot lounge into something that sounds much larger, sound seems to come outside the boundries of my 4 walls. :)

I hope i'm not going to be hunted down and flogged for saying that :)

Marco
02-01-2011, 13:10
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your thoughts :)

The team are currently in discussion regarding the matter and we will announce our decision shortly. It certainly looks likely that there will be a new AV-only room.

However, we're currently thrashing out ideas as to how best this would be implemented, and what the room should be called in accordance with the 'arty' theme we have running throughout the site.

We'll make an announcement on the matter in the next couple of days :cool:

Marco.

Macca
02-01-2011, 13:26
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your thoughts :)

The team are currently in discussion regarding the matter and we will announce our decision shortly. It certainly looks likely that there will be a new AV-only room.

However, we're currently thrashing out ideas as to how best this would be implemented, and what the room should be called in accordance with the 'arty' theme we have running throughout the site.

We'll make an announcement on the matter in the next couple of days :cool:

Marco.

Okay! - cheers Marco:cool:

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 13:35
How about "the living picture"... Pictures are art after all.

Just a thought ;)

Techno Commander
02-01-2011, 16:36
and what the room should be called in accordance with the 'arty' theme we have running throughout the site.

The Telly Lounge.:)

Or possibly "The Art Of Visuals" would sound less............... "cheap".

Would the mod be known as "Art-Of-Visual Intelligence"? :)

keiths
02-01-2011, 16:41
How about "the living picture"... Pictures are art after all.
Just a thought ;)

Or just "The Moving Picture" ?

WAD62
02-01-2011, 16:45
Thanks for the response on this Marco and for backing me up Mike and Mark:)

We seem to have 3 types of people on here when it comes to A/V:

1. Don't have a telly, don't watch any telly, proud of it.
2. Run the telly through the hi-fi system
3. Have a dedicated stereo system and a totally seperate Home Theatre system

...or 4) Have their main stereo system integrated as part of their 5.1 setup (thanks to the old Yamaha DSP800)

Pedant Alert!!! ;)

'2D or not 2D'....very poor!

PS. The new Mogwai live in NY DVD is tremendous, and well recorded which is quite a challenge with those boys

colinB
05-01-2011, 13:00
Any one know where my AV thread has been moved to?

Marco
05-01-2011, 13:10
The new 'AV Studio', daftee! ;)

Marco.

colinB
05-01-2011, 13:48
;)