PDA

View Full Version : Chesterfest Saturday 23rd August.

alb
23-07-2008, 06:39
Here are the names of those who have expressed interest in attending, or whose names have been suggested.
Forgive me if i have missed anyone out.
In no particular order.

Marco.
Ian Walker.
Ian Kay.
Dave Anderton.
Dunc.
Yomanze.
Chris Frost.
Aquapiranha.
Shian7 (Mike)
Tony Moore.
Lee
Brian.
Martin.(Deco-Doctor).
Mark H.
Ali.
Nick G.
Les.
Rob.
Me.
Steve Toy.
Anthony (Matthews)
Barry
Tony
Tonys friend.

If any of these are able to confirm before the date, that would be helpful.

alb
23-07-2008, 06:43
The details brought forward from the other thread.

http://www.caldyvalleychurch.org.uk/centre_info.htm

No pub attached to this venue, but there is one three minutes walk away if anyone gets desperate.

There is ample parking and access is pretty good.

The room is 36'x30' and is not carpetted, so it may result in a lively sound. Bring yer own rug.

Tea and coffee making facilities and food in the form of sandwiches will be laid on.
Expected cost per head is likely to be around £7-8, depending on numbers attending. Might have to restrict numbers to around 20.

I hope that the lower attendance (when compared to Owston) will lend itself to listening to individual components rather than just entire systems. Which we could do as well if time allows.

alb
23-07-2008, 08:01
Thinking ahead.

If we are to attempt a reference system style reviewing session, whereby everyones gear gets substituted into a chosen system. Then some issues need to be considered.

Firstly repetitive listening to tracks.
I thought we could overcome the inevitable boredom by using three pre- defined (shortish) tracks from different artists/genres for each session. Maybe Rock, Jazz and Classical.
Ie. Three tracks for digital sources, another three for amps and so on.
Probably best to have all these tracks from the same albums.
Possibly a compilation of these would save time, and allow a faster changeover of components.
This would also give people chance to aquaint themselves with the music at home prior to the day. With this in mind, i think the albums chosen shouldn't be too obscure.

Everyone knows a warm tube amp sounds better than cold. So anyone bringing these might also want to bring along some 8ohm resistors that can be plugged into the speaker sockets to enable safe warming up.

There are just four double 13 amp sockets throughout the room, so some extension leads will be provided. If you bring your own please label them. I have never known anything go missing at these events but things can get mixed up. Given that only one system will be playing at any one time i don't forsee any problems here.

Depending on the amount of equipment we have to listen to. It may be an idea if we have stuff setup at both ends of the room.
There is likely to be a separate DAC comparison at some point and i think a turntable one too.

Suggestions of suitable music/albums for the three tracks please.
Suggestions for anything else welcomed.

I don't want to be too regimented, but if we have a lot of stuff to get through then we have to accept some order.

There will be no competition, no prizes, just an informal chance to meet, see and hear what everyone else is doing.

I'll be there from about 9 am, setting up the room, and we'll get under way as soon as the majority have arrived. The building/room should be exclusively ours for the day, so if you arrive early please make yourself known as i don't yet know everybody.

I would like to think that everyone will return home, having heard their gear used with something very different to their own. If that happens, then we can call it a success.

Steve Toy
23-07-2008, 08:51
Add my name to the list please.

Marco
23-07-2008, 18:05
Al, I was talking to Anthony (Matthews) today from Tube Distinctions and he would like to come, so please add him to your list.

I will be putting both him and Mike up at my place on the Friday night before the fest on the Saturday :)

Thanks for the update of attendees and set-up info - much appreciated!

Given the quality of the gear just from what the people I know will be bringing I'm hopeful it will a very informative and interesting day.

Marco.

alb
25-07-2008, 06:26
Updated list.

Marco.
Ian Walker.
Ian Kay.
Dave Anderton.
Dunc.
Yomanze.
Chris Frost.
Aquapiranha.