PDA

View Full Version : Art Audio Concerto 2 For A Snip (?) On E-bay

Mike Reed
22-07-2008, 18:40
I've just watched an Art Audio Concerto 2 dual mono power amp., under a year old, with boxes, etc. go for £1320.

Now I'm not up with valve amps, having only recently developed an interest, but googling this 40 watts per channel model indicates that not only is it a well-thought of amp. but costs north of £3K new. The auction was from a valve-oriented dealer, too.

Did someone just get a bargain because of the timing (start of summer hols.), or is it an indication of the looming recession, or what? I was tempted, but didn't have the confidence to jump from solid state to an unknown quantity. Also have monoblocks currently and was not sure of a single-chassis amp.

Lots of valve aficionados on this forum; any views?

Ali Tait
22-07-2008, 19:55
Not heard that amp,but as regards jumping to valves,my view would be to try and get a listen to as many valve set-ups as you can,push-pull and single-ended,to see if either is your cup of tea.If you live anywhere near Leeds,you're most welcome to come round for a listen.I've an 845 single-ended amp,and also a 300b push-pull and an el84 push-pull amp,which I use into a pair of DIY kit electrostatics.

Ali Tait
22-07-2008, 19:56
Ah,I just noticed you're in Norwich.Perhaps someone nearer will offer.

Mike Reed
22-07-2008, 21:59
Kind of you, Ali. but that'll be the day. I'm becoming convinced that Norwich is a hifi desert.

Put a thread on P.F. about a year back enquiring about local enthusiasts. Got a dealer from south Norfolk (relatively close, I suppose) and a chap in west Wales !

I live in hope.

B.T.W., that 845 you mentioned isn't an E.A.R., by any chance?

Ali Tait
23-07-2008, 19:22
No,it's a Mr Liang 845 SET chinese jobbie.Don't hold that against it though,it's a pretty good amp out of the box,has no trouble with UK mains,and has become very nice indeed to my ears with just a few very simple mods.Built like a battleship too.Considering I won the auction itself on the bay for 155 quid,it has to be the bargain of the century if you're not in a position to scratch-build a valve amp.Cost me about 400 quid though when you factor in shipping and customs(it weighs 41 kg!)but if you consider commercial equivalents,you would be looking around 4-5k maybe for something similar.I've heard the Unison 845,admittedly not in an ideal situation,and it sounded frankly pants next to the Liang.I've also heard other similar chinese fare,and nothing to my ears comes close.If you could make it to the upcoming Chesterfest,you would gain an excellent idea of what valve amplification is capable of.One thing I do know is I'd never go back to a sand amp now.Valves to my ears do things sand amps just are not capable of,none that I've heard anyway.