PDA

View Full Version : Old New Member

hiredfox
22-07-2008, 14:36
Another Hampshire Hog.

Good things are said about this forum so in anticipation of some lively discourse on all things hi-fi, I have signed on the dotted line. Through e-Bay and Hi Fi for Sale, I have had a good many extended friendly correspondences with other lifelong incurable audiophiles. We have bought and sold each other's gear, we all move on... or back! Hopefully some will be members here and we can renew our threads in a more formal way.

I have been hooked up for 50 years!

My hi-fi life started with home made gear as a student in London, speakers from Wilmslow, amplifiers from Mullard (the old 5/10's) and an infamous plastic Collaro deck that went up to Uni with me. Even then we did our best to stop the needles jumping grooves by mounting the deck on AV rubber sheets, the result of setting tracking weights too low to avoid gouging out the grooves of LP's.

Later on I built Texan amps from kits and er.. flogged one or two to my friends, later on there was the Sugden's and Stan Curtis' wayward early offerings from Cambridge, inevitable Quad electronics and of course the BBC Rogers LS3/5a's, Spendor BC 1's and Thoren's 160S with SME 3009 arm etc. etc.

In those days those were the aspirational brands; how I wish I'd kept them all, would certainly be a lot richer today.

Set-up now. Krell FPB electronics, Martin Logan Summit E/S, MF Audio Silver PP, Cardas cables. My latest digital toy is the Marantz SA7. Analogue is strictly Linn & EAR. Not least, dozens of my own rather unique audio tweaks to make it sound better. In total agreement with Roy Gregory on this, supports are 65% of the battle of getting good sound. There that's me. Hello!

Mike Reed
22-07-2008, 18:23
50 years, eh? That's going some. I remember the first stereo records (at least, classical ones), coming out about then, or maybe '57. In fact I still have a couple dated 1958, I believe.

There wasn't much on the record-player front then but the Goldrings and Garrards followed shortly thereafter, I think. I left school in '58, but a Dansette was my music source until I bought a Jason valve amp and Pye speakers in 1964. Never been without hifi since.

You must have quite an interesting hifi history, and I'm sure you'll find this forum somewhat different (well, I think it is, anyway !). Greetings.

Steve Toy
22-07-2008, 19:20
In total agreement with Roy Gregory on this, supports are 65% of the battle of getting good sound.

Nice one! You definitely belong here on AOS if you believe in supports and tweaking to really make your system sing.