PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

Andy831
31-01-2008, 20:07
Just thought I would pop in and say Hi :)

Marco
31-01-2008, 20:31
Hi Andy,

Waaaaay - nice one, mate! Welcome to the forum :)

I was trying to get hold of you but couldn't find any contact details. How did you find us? Anyway, I'm glad you did!

Bit different from Hi-fi Corner here, eh?

Get stuck in and have fun, dude :cool:

Marco.

Andy831
31-01-2008, 21:09
Hi Marco

Rob gave me a heads up a few weeks back, Kept looking at the link but there was no action, anyway I found a link on one of the other forums and I am here :)

Marco
31-01-2008, 21:16
Shweet :cool:

There was an interesting discussion we had in Hi-fi Corner about turntables or something, can you remember what it was about?

Marco.

Filterlab
31-01-2008, 21:45
Bonjourno Andy!

Welcome x 10. :D

Andy831
01-02-2008, 06:38
Cheers Rob

Marco the discussion was about the merits of plastic DJ decks LOL, but lots of stuff has happened since then and I have gone and bought a Garrard 301 and a Hadcock 242 cryo. Just need a plinth to mount it all, and it will be up and running.

I also bought a little Thorens td160 as a stand in while I am building the Garrard.

Andy

Marco
01-02-2008, 07:47
Rob,

The pedant (and the Italian!) in me won't allow "Bonjourno" to go unchecked... Try "Buongiorno" instead ;)

Andy,

Ah, that's what it was! Well, the 301 is a very fine deck indeed - one of my favourite classic decks, actually, and the Hadcock a superb arm. I had a GH-242 Integra and loved it. It's a bit of a giant killer actually, once set-up properly. That last bit takes quite a bit of effort though, as there are so many adjustments on the arm to get right. I like that aspect of it though as ultimately it means you can set all fundamental parameters correctly to ensure performance is maximised.

What cartridge are you using with it? It loves the Cartridge Man Music-Maker, or if you're going for a moving coil, anything that's towards the higher end of the compliance spectrum. I would recommend something full-bodied sounding as the Hadcock is quite lightweight and 'fast', although also quite 'punchy', too. It digs out an incredible amount of information from the grooves. If you need any tips on optimising set-up of the Hadcock give me a shout, as I've spent many hours experimenting getting it right! :)

With regard to plinths, we have an expert here called "Vinyl Grinder" (Andr'e). What he doesn't know about designing wooden plinths for T/Ts isn't worth knowing. I suggest you have a chat with him, or even John (Thrunobulaxx) when he eventually joins us (hey, John, are you out there! ;))

If you fancy something in slate then these guys have got custom plinths for Garrards well and truly nailed - not cheap though, but the quality is fantastic. I intend to have my SL-1210 mounted in one later this year (I fancy Granite):

http://www.slatedeck.com/

Marco.

Filterlab
01-02-2008, 08:48
Rob,

The pedant (and the Italian!) in me won't allow "Bonjourno" to go unchecked... Try "Buongiorno" instead ;)

I can't be dealing with all your hoity toity arty farty noncy poncy good good two shoes spellings!

Bonjourno it is! LOL! :)

Marco
01-02-2008, 08:55
Ok, I'm off for some breakfast... I fancy a cappoochino and a siabatta with parma ham ;)

Marco.

Filterlab
01-02-2008, 09:00
Ok, I'm off for some breakfast... I fancy a cappoochino and a siabatta with parma ham ;)

Marco.

I think you'll find that's 'Palmer' ham.

;)

Marco
01-02-2008, 09:15
Aye one of those babies!

Anyone for a latty, and a brushetta with mozarela and yon crispy roket?

Teara-misuse for afters, of course.

Marco.

Clive
06-04-2008, 10:21
If you fancy something in slate then these guys have got custom plinths for Garrards well and truly nailed - not cheap though, but the quality is fantastic. I intend to have my SL-1210 mounted in one later this year (I fancy Granite):

http://www.slatedeck.com/

Marco.
Hi everyone, I thought I'd say hello. There look to be good discussions happening here. Marco I came across your mention of Slatedeck, I've been using a single tier Slatedeck with my 301 for well over a year now. 2 days ago I installed a 2nd lower tier. Here's my assessment:

Even before I ordered my Slatedeck plinth for my 301 I wondered how it would sound with twin tiers. I originally bought a single tier of the "almost square" type, 30mm thickness. I've never looked back or remotely considered wood-based CLD plinths since (which I previously had put a lot of time into). Finally I bit the bullet and bought the 2nd (lower) slate tier for my plinth. The apertures are smaller than with the top layer making it considerably heavier. When leveling the plinth I found that the extra set of 3 adjustable spikes mean that setting up the deck can be achieved even more easily and with greater accuracy. I'd always wanted the 2nd tier, if only for the great looks - it does look good!

Having played a good variation of music now with the twin tier I am very pleased with the results. I didn't know what to expect, possibly results will vary depending on your TT support. I use a 70's Sound Org stand with an over-sized wood top. What immediately struck me were 2 improved aspects;
- the music seems more vivid, everything stands out more or put another way all sounds are more distinct
- images are more fleshed out, especially with significantly better 3D between the speakers, imaging improved more than I thought possible - it was already superb

Once I got over the initial improvements I realised that bass was stronger and deeper - deeper than the mid-Atlantic trench - at least it is with my 15inch subs. Treble has also moved up a notch (quantity and definition) so the sound is still very balanced. Dynamics are better too, particularly rim-shot type of sounds, very snappy indeed.

Before I installed the lower tier I couldn't imagine how the sound would improve or even could improve but it has. The sound now is more vivid than ever, it's a bit like using digital photo software on a picture taken on a dull day and changing the saturation to produce realistic colours and contrast.

cheers,

Clive

Filterlab
06-04-2008, 11:00
Hi Clive and welcome.

Glad you're getting good results from your Slatedeck.

Mike Reed
06-04-2008, 13:22
Chow, bang beano,

'bout time someone tried to safeguard the purity of the beautiful Italian language. Well done, Marco!

Marco
07-04-2008, 08:10
LOL. In the name of 'cult-chur', and as an Italian, it had to be done :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
07-04-2008, 08:19
Hi everyone, I thought I'd say hello. There look to be good discussions happening here. Marco I came across your mention of Slatedeck, I've been using a single tier Slatedeck with my 301 for well over a year now. 2 days ago I installed a 2nd lower tier. Here's my assessment:

Even before I ordered my Slatedeck plinth for my 301 I wondered how it would sound with twin tiers. I originally bought a single tier of the "almost square" type, 30mm thickness. I've never looked back or remotely considered wood-based CLD plinths since (which I previously had put a lot of time into). Finally I bit the bullet and bought the 2nd (lower) slate tier for my plinth. The apertures are smaller than with the top layer making it considerably heavier. When leveling the plinth I found that the extra set of 3 adjustable spikes mean that setting up the deck can be achieved even more easily and with greater accuracy. I'd always wanted the 2nd tier, if only for the great looks - it does look good!

Having played a good variation of music now with the twin tier I am very pleased with the results. I didn't know what to expect, possibly results will vary depending on your TT support. I use a 70's Sound Org stand with an over-sized wood top. What immediately struck me were 2 improved aspects;
- the music seems more vivid, everything stands out more or put another way all sounds are more distinct
- images are more fleshed out, especially with significantly better 3D between the speakers, imaging improved more than I thought possible - it was already superb

Once I got over the initial improvements I realised that bass was stronger and deeper - deeper than the mid-Atlantic trench - at least it is with my 15inch subs. Treble has also moved up a notch (quantity and definition) so the sound is still very balanced. Dynamics are better too, particularly rim-shot type of sounds, very snappy indeed.

Before I installed the lower tier I couldn't imagine how the sound would improve or even could improve but it has. The sound now is more vivid than ever, it's a bit like using digital photo software on a picture taken on a dull day and changing the saturation to produce realistic colours and contrast.

cheers,

Clive

Hi Clive,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your thoughts on the Slatedeck. I trust Darren's expertise on this and will definitely be getting him to make a plinth for my deck once I've gone through my list of other hi-fi modification priorities. I would imagine it will occur sometime at the end of the year.

I'm currently on 'pre & power amp duty' at the moment, then it will be further Audiocom International modifications to my DAS-R1 DAC, etc :)

Incidentally, what are the overall dimensions of your 301 in its plinth?

Marco.

Clive
07-04-2008, 11:38
Hi Clive,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your thoughts on the Slatedeck. I trust Darren's expertise on this and will definitely be getting him to make a plinth for my deck once I've gone through my list of other hi-fi modification priorities. I would imagine it will occur sometime at the end of the year.

I'm currently on 'pre & power amp duty' at the moment, then it will be further Audiocom International modifications to my DAS-R1 DAC, etc :)

Incidentally, what are the overall dimensions of your 301 in its plinth?

Marco.
Hi Marco,

The version I have is 465mm wide by 455mm deep. The pic of the deck is not brilliant but you can see the plinth.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e359/cmeakins/twinsm.jpg

Marco
07-04-2008, 11:57
That's very nice turntable, and the plinth looks gorgeous :)

What arm is that you're using. It looks rather interesting!

Marco.

Clive
07-04-2008, 13:09
The arm is a Trans-Fi Terminator. It's an inverted Ladegaard airbearing. It's simply the best I've ever heard....
http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm