PDA

View Full Version : Hardly a stroke of genius but...

WAD62
22-11-2010, 11:24
...I think this post might be a bit basic for a lot of you on this site but here goes anyway.

If you already use a mains conditioning look away now, as yours is probably better, and more expensive, than what I'm about to suggest.

I had a work colleague who swore by 'russ andrews' power leads and mains conditioners etc. After a quick review of the prices I realised that we were obviously paying the lad too much!!!!

I spotted this very cheap alternative on amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Conditioner-Frequency-Interference-Filter/dp/B000PS5700/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290424349&sr=8-1-catcorr

At £25 it's not bad for just a 6 way adapter with surge protection, so even if the mains conditioning is bunkum you haven't really lost much on the deal, even if it is a placebo.

I use them round the house for any AV equipment, it has made an improvement to my main system, probably to the DAC & amps I suspect (4 units), but the imaging is a little better, and the bass a little tighter...well I think so anyway.

I haven't noticed any improvement to anything else, TV etc, but at least they have surge protection, other people suggest they have experienced an improvement in their picture quality, who am I to disagree...

The Grand Wazoo
22-11-2010, 11:41
Hi Will,
There's been quite some discussion on the cheap mains units over the last few weeks. Some have found that it does improve things quite a bit, but I think many folks agree that plugging your amp in to it is not the best way to go. Have you tried both ways?

This would seem to be confirmed by some of the more serious (read expensive) 'hi-fi' brands who offer alternative arrangements for amps (people like Isotek & Isol8 offer separate units for amps & their cheaper units have a couple of sockets dedicated to amps).

Just a thought.

Alex_UK
22-11-2010, 11:44
You're not alone, Will:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3560

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2400

One thing (if you can't be arsed to trawl through it!) is that I found it better NOT to connect my amp - worked well for CD/DAC/TT but better without it on teh amp, and "abe" also found the same - though interestingly both when we were using Creeks, so YMMV - it was fine with my Audiolab. (Also, the Pure_AV PF30 I'm using now has a High Current amp socket, and the amp is fine plugged into that.) Still use the Tacima for the periphery in my setup (Xbox, Laptop etc.) as if nothing else, as you say, you get the surge protection.

Alex_UK
22-11-2010, 11:45
Ha ha - simultaneous thoughts alert!

The Grand Wazoo
22-11-2010, 11:48
Insert smiley here...........

WAD62
22-11-2010, 11:53
You're not alone, Will:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3560

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2400

One thing (if you can't be arsed to trawl through it!) is that I found it better NOT to connect my amp - worked well for CD/DAC/TT but better without it on teh amp, and "abe" also found the same - though interestingly both when we were using Creeks, so YMMV - it was fine with my Audiolab. (Also, the Pure_AV PF30 I'm using now has a High Current amp socket, and the amp is fine plugged into that.) Still use the Tacima for the periphery in my setup (Xbox, Laptop etc.) as if nothing else, as you say, you get the surge protection.

Very interesting Alex, as the system I that showed the 'noticeable' improvement is all audiolab, CDM/DAX/Q/SX/P (bi amp), my naive assumption was that the amps would benefit more due to their errr...thirst, be gentle I only have 'O' level physics.

WAD62
22-11-2010, 11:59
Hi Will,
There's been quite some discussion on the cheap mains units over the last few weeks. Some have found that it does improve things quite a bit, but I think many folks agree that plugging your amp in to it is not the best way to go. Have you tried both ways?

This would seem to be confirmed by some of the more serious (read expensive) 'hi-fi' brands who offer alternative arrangements for amps (people like Isotek & Isol8 offer separate units for amps & their cheaper units have a couple of sockets dedicated to amps).

Just a thought.
Hi Chris,

My naive assumption was that hearing the cumulative benefit from the 4 bits of kit, so you reckon that it's more likely to be the DAC that will inherit the benefit?

The Grand Wazoo
22-11-2010, 12:05
I'd be trying to take power amps out of the unit - CD players, DAC's, tuners, preamps etc should be OK.
I could be wrong, but given the cumulative body of evidence, I reckon you ought to give it a go with & without.
My Isol8 unit follows that theory.

WAD62
22-11-2010, 12:17
...I forgot to mention that my turntable and phono pre-amp are also on there too. Unfortunately I'd made a few upgrades at the same time, new cartridge & belt, so too hard to benchmark that one.

So do you think it would restrict/starve the power amps?

The Grand Wazoo
22-11-2010, 12:39
Here's what the blurb about the Isol-8 Cleanline 2 (the closest of their products to the type of thing that the Tacima is/does) says about configurations for different types of device:

Clean Outlets 1 and 2 are specifically for high current equipment ( power amplifiers, projectors, subwoofers, etc). These outlets are served by a compound filter design; which, to avoid current restriction, is implemented solely using parallel components.

Outlets 3 and 4 are specifically for analogue source components (pre-amps, tuners, phono stages, turntables) and outlets 5 and 6 should be used for any digital or video components ( CD player, DACs or DVDs) but can also be used for additional analogue items.

But you really need to try it for yourself.

Alex_UK
Only one way to find out... ;)

Like I said, I didn't notice any "strangulation" on my Audiolab (8000S) but did with the Creek, so I think your answer is to get crawling round the back of your kit again I'm afraid!

The Grand Wazoo
Here's what the blurb about the Isol-8 Cleanline 2 (the closest of their products to the type of thing that the Tacima is/does) says about configurations for different types of device:

Clean Outlets 1 and 2 are specifically for high current equipment ( power amplifiers, projectors, subwoofers, etc). These outlets are served by a compound filter design; which, to avoid current restriction, is implemented solely using parallel components.

Outlets 3 and 4 are specifically for analogue source components (pre-amps, tuners, phono stages, turntables) and outlets 5 and 6 should be used for any digital or video components ( CD player, DACs or DVDs) but can also be used for additional analogue items.

But you really need to try it for yourself.

Alex_UK
22-11-2010, 12:40
Tell you what Chris, I'll just leave you to answer! :D

The Grand Wazoo
22-11-2010, 12:42
Nah, you're making a much better job of it mate - at least you own one of the things!

WAD62
22-11-2010, 12:48
Only one way to find out... ;)

Like I said, I didn't notice any "strangulation" on my Audiolab (8000S) but did with the Creek, so I think your answer is to get crawling round the back of your kit again I'm afraid!

No! No! No! No! No! No! (in a sexy beast style)...

I'm not going back there again, I'm sticking with your Audiolab theory...err and I've run out of sockets.

Welder
25-11-2010, 11:43
@Will,
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7450
This is a relatively easy build, well explained by Mike :)

WAD62
26-11-2010, 17:43
Cheers for the info John, 'easy' would definitely be a requirement for my DIY 'skills'

Welder
28-11-2010, 07:47
I’ve had varying results with conditioners. The most recent, the one I linked to above, works well with my kit but my kit doesn’t require much more than 150 Watts. I plug everything, (amp Dac, laptop) into a single distribution box containing the conditioner.
If you have power hungry equipment then care needs to be taken to ensure the conditioner isn’t choking the power supply.
I personally believe a dedicated mains supply with a ground returned to somewhere other than the grid supply is favorite.
If you have other equipment plugged into the ring you power your Hi Fi from then a conditioner could make a noticeable difference.
My personal view is well designed Hi Fi components shouldn’t really need further mains conditioning; the design itself should cope with voltage variation and filter out noise.

However, if you are not confident with soldering and working with mains electricity then buying a conditioner is the best option.

Taz
09-05-2011, 00:43
I had a damaged tacima block, just the plug socket plastic bit was damaged, so I decided to knock up my own version, using an alloy box from maplin £4 I fitted a good quality 2 way silver plated mains socket to the box and used good cable to attach everything together using the conditioner pcb in the line and fixed inside the box. seems to work quite well and certainly reduces background "mush" I use a monster AV block Iv'e had for years on my AV gear more as protection than anything else really. I can't afford the "propper" mains conditioners like isotek etc so can't comment on them, my home made one does work though and that's good enough for me for now

wee tee cee
09-05-2011, 08:54
I use a tacima block with everything plugged into it,dac,amp,squeeze box psu.I have tried plugging things into the wall,but always come back to the block.It just sounds smoother and less harsh.I have found that the sound was negatively effected with the origional SB psu and remote charger.Since switching to a maplin psu and plugging the handset charger elsewhere Ive had no problems.On a more contentious level,I fitted the block with a phonosophie fuse along with my mains leads and found an improvement.
Must try rubbing some of the expensive snake oil on my cables.....

WAD62
09-05-2011, 09:37
I use a tacima block with everything plugged into it,dac,amp,squeeze box psu.I have tried plugging things into the wall,but always come back to the block.It just sounds smoother and less harsh.I have found that the sound was negatively effected with the origional SB psu and remote charger.Since switching to a maplin psu and plugging the handset charger elsewhere Ive had no problems.On a more contentious level,I fitted the block with a phonosophie fuse along with my mains leads and found an improvement.
Must try rubbing some of the expensive snake oil on my cables.....

Hi Tony, looks like we have similar setups, tacima, maplins psu/SB, etc. I have all my amps & DAC going through the tacima too.

How much were the 'snakeoil' fuses ? ;)

wee tee cee
09-05-2011, 10:37
Will,
Theyre £60 a pop,Ye Ye Ye,I know......If you can get a loan of one from a dealer and give it a listen.I wouldnt have thought it would have made an ounce of difference but eveyrone that has tried it was suprised.I have tried them on cd players and amps all to good effect.Im going away on holiday next month for a week if your interested I could post a fuse or even a lead to you to give it a whirl.The proofs in the pudding.

WAD62
09-05-2011, 11:02
Will,
Theyre £60 a pop,Ye Ye Ye,I know......If you can get a loan of one from a dealer and give it a listen.I wouldnt have thought it would have made an ounce of difference but eveyrone that has tried it was suprised.I have tried them on cd players and amps all to good effect.Im going away on holiday next month for a week if your interested I could post a fuse or even a lead to you to give it a whirl.The proofs in the pudding.

Cheers Tony, but as I'm between contracts at the moment I'll not take you up on your generous offer...I'd only be torturing myself, but thanks anyway ;)

Out of interest presumably you've got one on the tacima, and then subsequently on each power lead feeding from it ? :scratch:

wee tee cee
09-05-2011, 11:20
Yup,
One in the mains block plug and one in each power lead.
The mains leads are mk silver plugs/lo rad 2.5mm cable/watgate Iec plugs.
Sound pretty good to my ears,but then again....maybe my wife is right,that Im going a bit deaf from riding motorbikes for too many years (OR like most married men, I just zone out)

Tim
09-05-2011, 11:32
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/cables.jpg

:)

Alex_UK
09-05-2011, 11:40
Hilarious, Tim! :D

wee tee cee
09-05-2011, 15:20
Spot on Tim,thankfully I am not alone....

icehockeyboy
26-05-2011, 10:40
I've had a Tacima in place for a couple of years now, I believe it improved things sonically.
Prior to buying it, I tried a couple of others, Musicworks mega block at £300, QED Quonduit at £200.

The Tacima was superior to the QED, and almost on par with the MW at a tenth of the price.

All IMO.

Haselsh1
26-05-2011, 11:55
I had a Tacima on my Croft setup a year or so back. It was a total waste of twenty five quid.

Effem
26-05-2011, 12:02
I had a Tacima mains conditioner box thingy with sockets on the rear and to be honest even my sensitive lugholes couldn't detect much happening with it.

I would say the Belkin PF30 I have now wees all over it by a country mile, AT IT'S DISCOUNTED PRICE I will hasten to add.

synsei
03-06-2011, 20:56
Apologies Will, I seem to have duplicated your thread. In my defense the title doesn't mention the product :doh:

For all the doubters, I can categorically state that installing the Tacima into my system has upped its game significantly. It's at least as big a leap forward as swapping out my Audiolab 8000c for the Classe DR5 :ner: