PDA

View Full Version : IRC?

Welder
19-11-2010, 22:00
Seems a lot here like a bit of a debate. How about an internet relay chat (IRC )channel?
Could hook up to one of the game networks and make the channel AoS members only.
It would be a first for a Hi FI forum.

Bazil
19-11-2010, 22:39
Would it not make the forum a bit bleak ?

Reid Malenfant
23-11-2010, 12:55
Seems a lot here like a bit of a debate. How about an internet relay chat (IRC )channel?
Could hook up to one of the game networks and make the channel AoS members only.
No need to do that, Vbulletin can have a chat box bolted on so to speak as an add on ;) I have seen the very same on plenty of other forums which i happened to be a member of.

Here is just one example (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131002) :)

Just type Vbulletin chat box into google :eyebrows:

Frankly i'm not 100% convinced it's a good idea from past experiences. Things often need setting up in a certain way so new members don't get to see the thing until they reach a certain number of posts to avoid spamming :rolleyes: Also it seriously increases the work of moderators & admin, i know this as i used to mod a couple of forums which used a chat box :doh:

Interesting idea though :clap:

Marco
01-12-2010, 11:01

Any views on this, Nick? :)

Marco.

Beechwoods
01-12-2010, 16:33
I prefer to encourage active discussion and chat within the main forum to be honest. Mark has outlined some of the other issues with having a separate chat area, and I do think it would be an experiment similar to the 'Social Groups' thing we tried out a while back. Initially used, but falling out of use subsequently.

I think AOS is the kind of place people tend to chat interactively anyway.