PDA

View Full Version : 600ohm Headphones on a Caiman

bryan76
18-11-2010, 11:38
Just wondering whether any of you good folks have had any experience of using high impedance headphones on your Caimans.

I have been reading around this subject for what seems like months now, and have pretty much decided to go ahead and order a pair of Beyer DT770/600 ohm.

I've arrived at this choice as they seem to be recommended for the genres of music I like (downtempo electronica - Massive Attack, Air and also rock, Radiohead Pink Floyd). They are closed back just to prevent annoying others :rolleyes:

Without being able to audition them, I can only go on other peoples impressions, and they suggest that the 600ohm models benefit from a more open soundstage, as well as fuller midrange, smoother treble and bass control, when compared to the same model with 32/250ohm impedance.

They also qualify this by saying that they need 'good' amplification, ideally from a tube amp. This is an area I have no knowledge of, so hopefully someone can help me.

A dedicated headphone amp is financialy not an option unfortunately. When I pluck up the confidence I will try the mod on the Caiman headphone output, but do you think the 600ohm beyers are a mistake? Should I stick with the 250ohm model?

Thanks all for any advice and suggestions :)

ZebuTheOxen
19-11-2010, 12:09
The Caiman comes with LM4562 opamps at stock.

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4562.html
These are high fidelity and will happily drive 600ohm loads.

bryan76
21-11-2010, 12:05
Thanks Tom :)