PDA

View Full Version : Revised Mike New platter for SL-1200/1210

Marco
12-11-2010, 23:55
Hi Guys,

Some of you requested that I posted pics of the platter in a separate thread (other than the Mike New bearing one), so here they are for your perusal:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7110/copperplatteronlathr.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/copperplatteronlathr.jpg/)

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/5520/newcopperplatter.jpg (http://img607.imageshack.us/i/newcopperplatter.jpg/)

:cool:

Marco.

John
13-11-2010, 05:22
Cannot see the picture

Marco
13-11-2010, 08:19
Hi John,

That's strange, mate :scratch:

Works for me. The pics are hosted on Imageshack, so everyone should be able to see them.

Must be something at your end.....

Marco.

John
13-11-2010, 08:48
Must be

chris@panteg
13-11-2010, 08:48
No picture ?

Marco
13-11-2010, 09:25
Lol - can you not see it either, Chris? I can!

Anyone else not see it?

Marco.

freem
13-11-2010, 09:28
Lol - can you not see it either, Chris? I can!

Anyone else not see it?

Marco.

I can see it. When do you expect to get it.

Marco
13-11-2010, 09:31
Hi Paul,

As soon as Mike's ready to send it! :)

I also have to wait until I get my amp back from being fixed (long story), so I can assess the sonic effect of the platter properly.

Marco.

chris@panteg
13-11-2010, 09:40
Its starting to appear now ? though its struggling for some reason ' strange .

Marco
13-11-2010, 09:49
Weird.... Let me know when it working properly :)

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-11-2010, 10:19
Your copper amp Marco? What are you using inthe mean while? If had had known I would have happily leant you mine as a stand in...
.... It looks as though I might .... MIGHT.... Be able to keep the thing :)

The Vinyl Adventure
13-11-2010, 10:20
I can see photos btw

chris@panteg
13-11-2010, 10:22
Hi Marco

Yep ' though its gone again !

I'm using Mozila , maybe that's it ?

Marco
13-11-2010, 10:25
Could be, mate. Can you try it with Internet Explorer?

Marco.

Marco
13-11-2010, 10:52
Hi Hamish,

Your copper amp Marco? What are you using inthe mean while? If had had known I would have happily leant you mine as a stand in...
.... It looks as though I might .... MIGHT.... Be able to keep the thing

That's great news, mate, and thanks for the offer of a loan! :)

I've been using my headphone amp and headphones, which are decent enough, so I've not been without music.

It's actually been quite interesting listening that way for an extended period, as it's a rather different presentation from the copper amp/Lockwoods combo, and actually VERY revealing of what the sources and preamp are doing.

It's also a pretty good way of testing things such as cables and valves, as the headphone amp/phones combo is pretty transparent and revealing....

What happened with the copper amp is that one of the GEC KT88s (originally fittted to the amp in 1998! :eek:) finally went pop and took out the mains transformer with it! It's all fun, I guess, although the bloody smell from the melted tranny wasn't! :eyebrows: :spew:

So, Anthony ordered a new hand-wound bespoke transformer from Sowter, but this time a bigger one of a higher capacity, so the end result is that he's managed to get an extra 10W of Class A from the amp, and it's now kicking out 40 WPC of pure Class A, which into 95db huge speakers with 15" drivers is rather rude...lol.

The copper amp wasn't exactly lacking in 'grunt' before, so I'm expecting it to be a real animal now!! :fingers:

And that's not all.... I'm also getting a brand new (unused apart from testing) matched quad of NOS GEC KT88s to fit in it! So, I can't wait to hear what it's going to sound like. I'm picking it up from Anthony on Monday :cool:

Then it'll be platter time - so plenty of exciting times ahead, chez-moi!

Marco.

JazzBones
13-11-2010, 12:01
Marco,
Thats one helluva beaut looking platter :stalks:. Looks like the copper is bonded to the ali, if not are the two metals bolted and would there be any need for the neoprene rubber belt on the rim to negate platter ringing? The rubber belt is the only visual aspect of the platter I don't like, it reminds me of those heavy duty rubber belts on rim used by belt driven TT, but hey thatsa me. To me, one of the visual aspects that is attractive about the Tekko is that strobe edge. If the copper/ali works better than the standard MN platter, and depending on cost, I'll order one.

Keep us up to date and informed please. Shouldn't really ask that as I am sure you will.

Ron

John
13-11-2010, 12:32
I see it now looks great, looking forward to reading about how it will sound Mike really done a good job with the bonding

freem
13-11-2010, 14:21
Hi Hamish,

That's great news, mate, and thanks for the offer of a loan! :)

I've been using my headphone amp and headphones, which are decent enough, so I've not been without music.

It's actually been quite interesting listening that way for an extended period, as it's a very different presentation from the copper amp/Lockwoods combo, and actually VERY revealing of what the sources and preamp are doing.

It's also a pretty good way of testing things such as cables and valves, as the headphone amp/phones combo is pretty transparent and revealing....

What happened with the copper amp is that one of the GEC KT88s (originally fittted to the amp in 1998! :eek:) finally went pop and took out the mains transformer with it! It's all fun, I guess, although the bloody smell wasn't! :eyebrows: :spew:

So, Anthony ordered a new hand-wound bespoke transformer from Sowter, but this time a bigger one of a higher capacity, so the end result is that he's managed to get an extra 10W of Class A from the amp, and it's now kicking out 40 WPC of pure Class A... Yee-ha!

The copper amp wasn't exactly lacking in 'grunt' before, so I'm expecting it to be a real animal now!! :fingers:

And that's not all.... I'm also getting a brand new (unused apart from testing) matched quad of NOS GEC KT88s to fit in it! So, I can't wait to hear what it's going to sound like. I'm picking it up from Anthony on Monday :cool:

Then it'll be platter time - so plenty of exciting times ahead, chez-moi!

Marco.

Marco

What headphone amp do you use with your AKG's.

Marco
13-11-2010, 14:45
Hi Paul,

A tiny and (fairly inexpensive) little thing called a Practical Devices XM5 - see here:

http://www.practicaldevices.com/

It doesn't look much, but it's remarkably neutral and transparent sounding! :)

Marco.