PDA

View Full Version : lightning damage ( oh what to do now)

Kurt-Holz
19-07-2008, 04:33
Hey all

I have been hit by a terrible mishap/ luckiest day of my life thing

:-)

Huge lightning strike took out most of my system, Krell monoblocks,HTS5 amp,Both 802D's have damage, along with an 805s, toasted my arcam dv29,and did some other peripherial damage,( yes it was all surge protected, but apparently the lightning got around it

im not crying to loud yet

I have replacement value insurance, not only does my insurance have to buy me all new stuff at full new retail price, the few items that are no longer made they have to pay the difference in that to,no matter how much more the costs have gone up

so, the conundrum so to speak is like this

i could go back Krell, of course, jump into some of the evolution line,maybe mix in some classe in the digital, or just abandon ship and do just about anything

the speakers can all be fixed in theory of course, but i might lean towards replacement, as they are both very deeply fried,

now the other choice, send it all to Krell, have it rebuilt, pocket a big wad of change and upgrade maybe one item with some insane piece, ( thinking esoteric player)

This is actually causing me some grief as i have so many choices, i mean, the thought of starting all over again with a system with almost no limits and some very big free upgrades is also causing me to rethink which way to go

so

any opinions mucho appreciated

hail to the lightning kings

hahaha

Kurt

alb
19-07-2008, 07:20
My advice.

Take the money.
Take your time.
Use your ears.
Keep an open mind to everything.

Togil
19-07-2008, 07:58
You're lucky then you're not just getting a Dixons voucher as happens with smaller electrical items !:)

Here in the UK the insurance company would normally cut their losses by buying the lost items at trade prices, how this works for high-end items I'm not so sure

Kurt-Holz
19-07-2008, 19:34
Hi Hans

No i am getting full retail value plus whatever the cost of a newer item is if the old is no longer made, plus the cost of installation, etc

It's like xmas in july kinda, only i was really happy with my current setup, but the new Evo line might be a big upgrade i'm thinking

purite audio
19-07-2008, 19:44
I used to have B&W 800d's used them with pass labs and then an ASR Emitter, and they aren't bad speakers, but after I heard a pair of full range horns, well it sounded as though a potato sack had been thrown over the 800's , they were sold the next day.
I really believe high efficiency is the way to go, I could never go back to a box speaker, Keith.

Marco
20-07-2008, 20:16
Hi Kurt,

Great news, and you are lucky boy! :)

Have you thought about trying tubes? After much listening I'm convinced it's the way to go with amplification - music is just so much more 'real' and believable, and with the sort of mullah you'll be getting from your insurance company you'll have access to some truly sexy and outrageous kit :smoking:

Marco.

Kurt-Holz
21-07-2008, 02:10
Hey Marco

I am leaning towards going the whole other way, unfortunately, in my area, there are no dealers of quality tube gear etc, Mcintosh,Krell,Classe is it, anything else has to be bought over the internet no audition etc, so it's hard to make a decision, as we all know, system coherence is so important, i would like to go tube and maybe horn mains, but i have to basically just guess on what is going to work,i am going to have some pretty good bucks to work with, ( my guessing $50,000ish) so its an even bigger dilemna, messing up that kind of deal would really hurt, my current Krell, B&W set-up is of course safe, because i know the sound, but i have always felt there was a better way to go, all help much appreciated.

Kurt-Holz
21-07-2008, 02:19
Hey all

just to throw in a few thoughts, i am kind of thinking about maybe just doing a 2 system setup, maybe go Denon/Infiniti, ( or some other mass produced surround speaker set-up) for movies etc, then try and buy some used but really top tier tube/ horn system for 2 channel

any thoughts?

my head hurts trying to sort it out, the thought of buying the typical consumer stuff does kind of go against my typical thought process, i keep thinking i should just jump into the Krell Evo line and call it a day, but classe is sounding good to,mcintosh leaves me cold.

also as we all know, with the advent of the new HD stuff coming out in the next 6- 12 months, anything i buy today is almost instantly outdated

unless i go old school, then it doesnt matter

help help

:-)

Togil
21-07-2008, 07:12
What about Krell Evo plus Wilson Duettes , I heard them at the Munich show a few years ago ( with Spectral gear ) they sounded really good. Tony Faulkner the recording engineer has bought a pair as an alternative to his Quad ESLs.

purite audio
21-07-2008, 07:43
'Monya' ( Robin ) at Wigwam went up to Max audio to hear a dartzeel/ duette system, he has a dartzeel power amp, might be worth a pm.

Ali Tait
21-07-2008, 18:52
Just a thought,but have you tried any valve forums in the U.S.? It may well be that you will find some folk with valve gear somewhere near you who will allow you to visit and have a listen.Not ideal I know,but it will give you an idea of what is around.