PDA

View Full Version : So let's hear it for the good guys.

Neil McCauley
18-07-2008, 15:51
Sorry about the spelling error in the thread heading. Ho hum. anyway .........

After considering my recent thread http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=838 it struck me that in a spirit of fairness and with a view to looking at this from a 'glass half full' rather than a 'glass half empty' perspective, the good guys (just couldn't think of any of the other gender in this industry) should be identified - again based on direct, extended and personal experience.

In no particular order, my short list of true and consistent industry gentlemen must include:

Allen Boothroyd, Christopher Breunig, Nic Poulson, Arthur Khoubesserian, Channa Vithana, Adam Smith and Dale Linzey.

---//---

Mike
18-07-2008, 16:02
Sorry about the spelling error in the thread heading. Ho hum. anyway .........

Sorted!

Mike Reed
18-07-2008, 19:04
What spelling error ? You used the plural (phenomena) rather than phenomenon in your other thread, but can't locate a problem here ! Your English prose is usually to a high order, Howard, and interesting to read.

More to the point, but almost in contradiction of your 'gender' statement, I found Sheila at Naim Audio to be sympathetic, extremely helpful and efficient when I had a very strange and stressful situation with my newly acquired 552 last year.

Mind you, I also found that Meridian's service was second to none, and generous to boot when I dropped off a fifteen+year old c.d.p. for a check.
Not even a charge for return carriage ! They call themselves 'customer focussed'. Who's to argue? I note that you mention one of their founders.

John
18-07-2008, 19:22
Well Howard always get my vote never bought anything of him but thats life I also think Vic from Trans Fi James frim Whest Gary from Acoustic Perfection and Richard from Harrow audio have all been a real pleasure special mention to Vic who goes beyond the call of duty

Ali Tait
18-07-2008, 19:23
Errr read preceding post.Mike obviously corrected it.

Neil McCauley
18-07-2008, 19:34
Mind you, I also found that Meridian's service was second to none, and generous to boot when I dropped off a fifteen+year old c.d.p. for a check.
Not even a charge for return carriage ! They call themselves 'customer focussed'. Who's to argue? I note that you mention one of their founders.

A very good point. Dave Hall at Meridian. A terrific bloke who really cares. Known him since 76. And yes, Meridian in my experience as both a retailer and 'civilian' is that they never look to make greedy profit from their service work. Thank you for suggesting them.

--///--

jandl100
18-07-2008, 20:54
OK, herewith my (inevitably partial) list of hifi's Good Guys / Dealers, in no particular order ....

Walrus in London (Les & Pete), Richard Dunn at NVA (yes, I know, but as a dealer he is without fault, imho), Dave the HiFi Guy near Brighton, Tony at Central Audio, Nick at the Emporium, Trevor at Guildford Audio.

I'm sure others will be recalled - I'll add to the list as & when!

mistygreenandblue
20-07-2008, 00:36
Although there is a danger in recommending individuals *most* of whom one hasn't had dealings with in over a decade (people can change for the worse etc) I will add my comments on those folk...

Kevin Scott....best dealer I've ever encountered....yes he is a business man, but most of all it was his love for the music and the way his systems reproduced it that cut through all the usual salesman stuff...Top, chap...

Guy Adams....Voyd turntables - as was....Really nice person....fantastic TT's to boot....

Glenn Croft....Only met him for a short while, didn't even know who he was first of all :doh: Another really nice individual...

From more recent dealings, another vote for Sheila at Naim....always helpful, always with bags of patience (needed when dealing with the likes of me!)

Dave and Lyn at Flashback cables....great people, great service...

Last, but certainly not least....Mr Guy Sergeant of Puresound...From my dealings with Guy I've always found him to be a very helpful, patient and friendly individual (although he surely must shake his head at some of my forum questions at given times....not to mention my very pro Naim approach...) Another of the hifi worlds good guys....

gary
20-07-2008, 16:32
Alan Boyd of Loud and Clear Glasgow how many dealers are willing to spend an afternoon demming kit when they know in advance that you are not in a position to purchase anything this was the service I recieved there years ago and have since been back and made several purchases. Alan and the staff are into music not just sales and provide a really great service

snapper
21-07-2008, 16:31
Another vote for Loud And Clear.

After stereo stereo changed ownership,Ian Pirrie left and went to work at Loud And Clear.

Having dealt with and known Ian for about 18 years,this is where I now shop.

I just bought another Linn Klout from him a couple of months ago.

Another place I came across today

http://www.hificablesandaccessories.co.uk/index.html

I just bought a new cartridge from here today and Robert (Shearer) and his son were very helpful.

They used to trade as Laser Audio but now concentrate more on Home Cinema and Multi Room installations,though they do sell Project T/T's,cartridges,cables etc. at very competitive prices.

Marco
21-07-2008, 16:55
I just bought a new cartridge from here today and Robert (Shearer) and his son were very helpful.

What did you buy, David? :)

According to their website they don't do Denon.

Marco.

snapper
21-07-2008, 17:06
Bought a cheap MM Ortofon.

Body's too big to fit on the Ekos tho'. :doh:

I'll need to phone him tomorrow for an exchange or refund.

Marco
21-07-2008, 17:08
LOL. Go for the DL-110, mate, as we discussed. Trust me, you won't regret it :)

Marco.

AlanB
21-07-2008, 17:43
Howard Popeck is a marvellous dealer to buy from. He will ensure you are happy with your purchase and keep in touch in a non-selling capacity. He genuinely loves Hi fi, Music and most of all PEOPLE. No hesitation in recommending.
Another 'good guy' is Trevor Martin at Guildford Audio. Similar to Howard but in fairness I have had less dealings with him.
Why can't we get more like these guys. Tunnelled vision dealers (can't see anyone elses products!!) are a No! No!

Steve Toy
22-07-2008, 09:40
Tunnelled vision dealers (can't see anyone elses products!!) are a No! No!

Indeed, I refer to these as tight rope dealers. Good dealers should be able to embrace at least some of the kit a customer already owns and make it work with what they offer. They should also seek to identify how a given customer likes to hear his/her music, perhaps introducing new sonic approaches to build on existing system strengths rather than take a more absolutist/out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new approach.

snapper
31-07-2008, 14:23
LOL. Go for the DL-110, mate, as we discussed. Trust me, you won't regret it :)

Marco.

I phoned around for a DL-110 and they're all sold out,seemingly they are back ordered and this months supply won't meet demand.

As you rightly point out,Robert at http://www.hificablesandaccessories.co.uk/
doesn't do Denon,but he kindly bought in a DL-160 for me.

He still has a few bits of ex-dem stock from his shop.

I may get him to come over and put up a T/T shelf.

:smoking:

I've been trying a few different options regards input for the DL-160,MM on the Whest,MC on the Whest and also into the MM and MC inputs on the pre amp.

Just now I'm enjoying the MC setting on the pre.

:gig:

Marco
31-07-2008, 14:32
Nice one, mate. We'll have a play when I come up - not long now! :smoking:

I knew you'd like the Denon, though. It punches way above its weight, as do all Denons.

I may get him to come over and put up a T/T shelf.

He's not a beer-bellied Glasgow wide boy with a penchant for erecting washing lines (badly) I hope?

"Nae bother, ma man, I'll fire that shelf up for ye wi ma big drill"... Six 'canonball-sized' holes in your wall later... :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

snapper
31-07-2008, 15:22
:nocomment: