PDA

View Full Version : Valve burn in...fact or fiction

jantheman
05-11-2010, 19:13
If it does exist, how long can I expect to wait until my new set of JJ KT88 come on song. So far though with only a couple of hours, I can hear a fair bit of extra detail and the bass is better defined and with more slam than the old Svet Winged C's (Quad branded) that I have taken out. Caveat, I dont know how many hours the Winged C's had on them......

Mike
05-11-2010, 19:28
Anything up to 100 hours IME!

Jonboy
05-11-2010, 22:01
100 hours, AFraid so thats the figure that sticks in my mind

DSJR
05-11-2010, 22:14
Certainly, pairs of valves need some time to electrical "anneal" themselves as a pair [edit - adjust themselves to each other] and I've also read 100 hours. I expect it depends upon the biasing and how gently the valves are used - or not...

Ali Tait
06-11-2010, 01:03
Anneal??

selfaddict
06-11-2010, 09:59
What little experience I have had of valves bedding in is that this is very interesting gradual progress.

To start with valves can be very harsh and 'on your face'. But as time passes by sound becomes more soft and sound stage opens up. For me it is like bedding in new pair of speakers, they just gradually get better and better as time goes by. Only problem with valves it that they eventually fail, which is not really case with speakers.

jantheman
06-11-2010, 11:05
What little experience I have had of valves bedding in is that this is very interesting gradual progress.

To start with valves can be very harsh and 'on your face'. But as time passes by sound becomes more soft and sound stage opens up. For me it is like bedding in new pair of speakers, they just gradually get better and better as time goes by. Only problem with valves it that they eventually fail, which is not really case with speakers.

I suppose it could be likened to a pair of shoes. One they are really comfy its time to get new ....:lolsign:

anthonyTD
06-11-2010, 12:55
hi all,
valves do indeed get better after they have been run for a while, as have been said it is partly to do with the stresses being relieved from the manufacturing process. valves in class A amps will bed in quicker on average than in AB as the set current is generaly higher and constant.
burn in also happens in solid state equipment, cables, speakers etc, anything that has had certain stresses imposed on it while being manufactured, there are of course other elements involved as to why the sonics of certain types of equipment change over time, there are a few opinions as to the why's and how's but opinions are opinions, i have mine and others have theirs but alas there is nothing set in stone.
Anthony,TD...

jantheman
06-11-2010, 20:37
Thanks for all replies...Lets play music....