PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy 15 inch golds

Jonboy
03-10-2010, 19:14
I have been considering this project for a while, i have access to a pair of 15 inch monitor golds which i can swap for some kit, these are HPD units that require a bit of work nothing that can't be sorted and come without cross overs but i will get new ones made as per these (http://www.guitars-of-love.com/tannoy15goldcrossovermods.htm),.

I'm hoping to put them into a pair of Lockwood cabinets which would be nice and simple or i might build some cabinets from drawings which could take forever.

My question is should i go for the HPDs which won't owe me much money or hold out for a pair of LSUs and be into a lot more money, is there a lot of sonic difference between the two and are they worth the extra money or is this just hype, having heard Marco's i'm worried that i will always be a bit wanting or wondering if i go for the HPDs instead of holding out for the LSUs, perhaps i will just go for the former to be getting on with and then wait for a pair LSUs to come along eventually at the right price.

Techno Commander
03-10-2010, 19:44
If the HPD's and LSU's can be used in the same cabinet and with the same crossover then going for these would be worthwhile in my opinion. Then when LSU's appear swap them over.

If however the drivers were cabinet dependent, then maybe wait for the LSU's. I think that if I was doing this, I would prefer a pair of horn loaded boxes though. :)

Moonshadow
10-11-2010, 14:56
Just to clarify, what is an LSU ? HPD chassis can be reconed with the new Lockwood hard edge cones or gold or red if you want ...

DSJR
10-11-2010, 16:47
I was also going to suggest a good chat with Lockwoods as the HPD's as standard have a different cone weight and damping to the "classic" models and should be cased somewhat differently. Lockwoods could also discuss what you want done with the chassis - the tradidional surrounds as discussed above, or a refurb of the HPD foam surrounds. In any case, Lockwoods promise a performance superior to when they were new, as the voice-coils are upgraded at the same time as the cones and surrounds.

Jonboy
10-11-2010, 20:56
[QUOTE=Moonshadow;162958]Just to clarify, what is an LSU QUOTE]

Here's (http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm#tech) a link to explain a bit more i hope

LSU were the predecessors to the HPD

Jonboy
10-11-2010, 21:02
I was also going to suggest a good chat with Lockwoods as the HPD's as standard have a different cone weight and damping to the "classic" models and should be cased somewhat differently. Lockwoods could also discuss what you want done with the chassis - the tradidional surrounds as discussed above, or a refurb of the HPD foam surrounds. In any case, Lockwoods promise a performance superior to when they were new, as the voice-coils are upgraded at the same time as the cones and surrounds.

Hi Dave,

I have talked to Roger at Lockwoods and discussed what needs to be done to my speakers, its going to be over £400 to get them sonicallly matched, as i have said they have a few problems so it's gone on hold for a wee while

Moonshadow
10-11-2010, 21:50
Hi Jon

I still don't get "LSU", just me being dense I expect. I just thought you should know the later Lockwoods came with HPDs or DU386 fitted as standard so if you got later ones they would be correct with HPD. I still want to know exactly why Marco liked the Golds better than the Reds (assuming the Xovers were equal). One day I will ask. It may be that the Red only comes into its own with horn loading (very light cone) so Gold cones usually come out trumps on a reflex enclosure. HPDs can be reconed with either cone and I still dont know what is different with the new Lockwood hard edge conversion compared to the Gold or HPD original. I will have to talk to Roger again before I get my HPDs reconed for my Majors - I expect I will go with Golds.

Marco
14-11-2010, 01:20
Hi Jeff,

I still want to know exactly why Marco liked the Golds better than the Reds (assuming the Xovers were equal).

I'm just off to bed, but if I get time tomorrow (I've got quite a busy day planned) I'll explain in full, or if not, I will on Monday :)

Didn't know you had Majors - got any pics?

Marco.