PDA

View Full Version : The buyer's dilemma

Neil McCauley
10-07-2008, 08:12
Imagine you are in a comparative demonstration comparing one CD player against another, switched by the Manley Skipjack (probably the most neutral switcher available today: http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/skipjack.html) at identical volumes through state-of-the-art speakers and amp. They are virtually identical in price.

One is an established brand and the other is a new brand. Both are well within your budget.

What basis do you have for making the purchase choice?

---//---

Mike
10-07-2008, 08:16
1st. Performance

2nd. Performance

3rd. Performance

:confused:

Neil McCauley
11-07-2008, 11:22
Okay, so far - so good. Now here's the cruncher. What do you if sonically these two units are indistinguishable?

---//---

Filterlab
11-07-2008, 11:44
Go for the new one with a decent warranty; two reasons:

1. Nobody else will have one (exclusivity).

2. If it breaks, the chances are the new company will fall over itself to get a replacement / repair done with the minimum of fuss (make a name for itself).

That's just my opinion though. :)

Neil McCauley
11-07-2008, 11:49
Go for the new one with a decent warranty; two reasons:

1. Nobody else will have one (exclusivity).

2. If it breaks, the chances are the new company will fall over itself to get a replacement / repair done with the minimum of fuss (make a name for itself).

That's just my opinion though. :)
Thank you. I'm with you 100% on this.

Regards

Howard

lurcher
11-07-2008, 12:05
If I found myself in that situation, I would ask to either

1. Borrow both and try them over a longer period at home.

2. Ask to listen to a cheaper and more expensive player against the original two, as if they both sounded the same, I would like to know if I could get the same sound and pay less. And if not, what difference would I hear against a more expensive model.

Rick O
11-07-2008, 13:17

---//---

Which ever is the most musical.

Steve Toy
11-07-2008, 14:35
I think Howard was suggestion that they were both equally musical, hence the other criteria.

shane
11-07-2008, 18:32
Assuming they really were sonically and financially identical, and that Nick's questions didn't reveal a better alternative, then I would look at the following:

1) Aesthetics (I do care what this stuff looks like, but not as much as what it sounds like).

2) Reliability.

3) Politics and geography. Where was it made? Do I approve of them, either the company or the country?

greenhomeelectronics
11-07-2008, 19:49
I think if people were totally honest it would come down to aesthetics every time.

Mike
11-07-2008, 20:22
I think if people were totally honest it would come down to aesthetics every time.

Hmmm... no, not every time, but in the absence of any other distinguishing features, it would certainly be right up there!

All 'IMHO' of course! ;)

Ali Tait
11-07-2008, 21:08
Not in my book.

Mike
11-07-2008, 21:14
Not in my book.

And good for you Ali! :)

But in the absence of anything else....? :confused:

Ali Tait
11-07-2008, 21:25
I'm quite sure I'm in the minority,but I'd go for sound every time.After all,I've been round to Nick's place and heard his sublime creations,made on bits of MDF sprawled across the floor,such that you have to watch your footing when you get up.I'd quite happily substitute convenience for the kind of sound quality that Mr Gorham is capable of.But then he's lucky enough to have his own shed! :)

Mike
11-07-2008, 21:58
Well, yes.... But I was working on the assumption that two pieces (or more) of equipment were equal in term of performance/price/features/etc...

If you can't make a distinction on any worthwhile criteria, why not got for the one you, well, just like the look of??? .... :confused: :)

I guess I was just trying to 'second' Shane's point.

Marco
11-07-2008, 22:17
Assuming they really were sonically and financially identical, and that Nick's questions didn't reveal a better alternative, then I would look at the following:

1) Aesthetics (I do care what this stuff looks like, but not as much as what it sounds like).

2) Reliability.

3) Politics and geography. Where was it made? Do I approve of them, either the company or the country?

1 and 2 are fine, but 3 is for me somewhat unusual.

Shane, no offence, but I couldn't think of anything that would be further from my mind when selecting hi-fi equipment. As long is it sounds great and 1 and 2 have been reasonably catered for (particularly 2) I couldn't give a shit about by whom and where it was made :scratch:

The only exception would be if it had been constructed by child labour in a Third World country.

Marco.

sastusbulbas
12-07-2008, 07:42
Imagine you are in a comparative demonstration comparing one CD player against another, switched by the Manley Skipjack (probably the most neutral switcher available today: http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/skipjack.html) at identical volumes through state-of-the-art speakers and amp. They are virtually identical in price.

One is an established brand and the other is a new brand. Both are well within your budget.

---//---

For me a new brand would have to offer better value for money and construction at a lesser cost than the established brand and offer a better guarantee.

I personally don't see the reasoning in buying an unknown new on the block brand that is directly competing in the same price bracket as an established brand, even if performance is identical. I am wary of any new brand out to make profit before good reputation.

The established brand may well have earned my cash by getting 'established' before setting it's retail price, and may also hold it's value better.

But again one does have to take into acount the products their weight and construcion, what interconnects are being used, what are these state of the art ancillaries, and do these players STILL offer a cohesive musical performance with lesser and varied ancillaries in a standard UK home with standard mains and such?

Quite simply CD players A and B may offer identical performance through some state of the art electronics, which themselves may be contributing some aspect to this nature. Whereas we may find one of these players may be equally as happy in a variety of lesser systems.

Basic line is if both players sound identical at home, then go for the established brand unless as I said the new brand is offering an exceptional build quality and guarantee to make up for the lack of competetive pricing.

I think :scratch:

Filterlab
12-07-2008, 09:27
I must admit that I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about where something is made, aesthetics however do matter a little to me, but nowhere near as much as performance. You only have to look at my DAC to see that - the faceplate looks like it was arranged by a pizza chef.

Mike Reed
12-07-2008, 09:43
I am in agreement with Sastu.

All sonics and facilities being either indistinguishable or of similar merit, I would choose

THE ESTABLISHED MANUFACTURER with a good track record, and

PROXIMITY to my home of said (British) manufacturer (or reliable importer, if foreign)

BLING (!?*!?) would be of only minor importance.

Probably why I have a Meridian CDP, and Naim stuff now HAS to go through a dealer, I believe, who is bound to be fairly local.

jandl100
12-07-2008, 10:28

Nope - I have to disagree with you on that. I don't really care what kit looks like.

My criteria would be sound quality. I Box Swap as I enjoy playing with different kit - and not being a dealer like HP, I don't have any other way to do it. Given my propensity to move kit on, I should take more heed of re-sale value and ease of selling, but I don't - I often lose out on re-selling interesting but unusual kit :doh:.