PDA

View Full Version : Can I increase the gain on my Beresford 7510 ?

scoobs
25-09-2010, 13:52
I have a modded 7510, but it's not cutting this mustard at the moment, as I have a passive NVA pre and there's not enough gain from the fixed output, using 5m of interconnect from pre to active speakers.

Is it possible to increase the gain on one of these?
I'm no modder by the way, so dont get technical :doh:

scoobs
27-09-2010, 18:33
http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/yabb/Attachments/tumbleweed2_001.gif

Reid Malenfant
27-09-2010, 18:51
I don't own one & have never touched one, but as long as you still use the op-amp outputs then the answer should be a resounding yes ;)

In theory you'll just need to change two resistors (assuming a normal op-amp gain circuit) or possibly add four (& two capacitors to take care of any DC offset) if the op-amp circuit is unity gain :)

Hopefully someone who actually owns one will be able to help a bit more than me :eyebrows:

Marco
27-09-2010, 20:45
Hi Nick,

I have to ask this... Why do you need to have your preamp so far away from your speakers, and thus need to use 5m long interconnects (which will degrade the signal quite significantly)? :scratch:

Would it not make more sense to move your electronics (and rack) nearer your speakers (in between and just behind them, for example) and then you could use much shorter interconnects and not need to bother messing with your Beresford?

Personally, I hate applying a 'bandage' to fix a problem (and that's exactly what this is) - far better to fix it at source! :)

Marco.

Clive
28-09-2010, 08:40
My thoughts on 5m i/cs. I've agonised muchly over long i/cs vs long speaker cables and placing the system between the speakers.

Assuming an active preamp with decent drive I've found that it's a toss up between short i/cs & long speaker cables vs long i/cs and short speaker cables. a 5m i/c from a passive preamp can work but only if the source has really good drive.

As for placing the system between the speakers.....I used to run like this but when I moved to OB speakers that excel at soundstage & imaging I found that anything placed between the speakers collapsed the soundstage. Some kit well behind the speakers is ok, ie at least 1m behind the speakers.

The Vinyl Adventure
28-09-2010, 09:33
I use 4.5m interconnects ... They are too short ... I need some 5.5m ones really...
I don't have any issues, nor was I told that I might with my set up... I could put the kit between the speakers but specifically avoided doing so from advice on here???
I'm sure I read on here also that an advantage of active speakers was no speaker cable which is more susceptible to interference than interconnects?

Anyway... I would have thought an active pre would do a better job... No?
Have you tried just using the Beresford as a pre and loosing the nva altogether?

scoobs
28-09-2010, 16:29
Fellas
Thanks for the input.
My set-up is in the living room, so constraints exist. A wall mounted tv and a small unit sit between the speakers, I am not interested in putting the rack between the speakers there's not enough room for the turntable to begin with, and it also goes against perceived wisdom I've read about placement. I can't lose the nva pre as I have no analogue input on the beresford.

The nva phono2 and cheap Philips dvd player have no problem driving the speakers - there is plenty of gain. In addition the variable output from the beresford is fine. The length of the cables is not an issue here. So it just looks like the gain on the fixed output is weak.

I'll have to find someone that can tweak this for me.

The Vinyl Adventure
28-09-2010, 16:52
the variable output id fine... i thought the variable output at its max was equal to the fixed output?