PDA

View Full Version : J.E. Sugden Vintage Tuners

Beechwoods
05-07-2008, 18:10
I picked up a really nice condition R21 Sugden Tuner today. I've not properly tried it out but have read that it was his first and that they're pretty well regarded. Does anyone else here know much about Sugden and his kit? What kind of production runs did he do? How 'rare' is the early R21? I only paid £25 for mine and I thought that was good value...

Mike
05-07-2008, 18:24
A bit of info here:

http://www.bt-vertrieb.de/productsites/manuals/sugden/sugtun.pdf

:)

Mike
05-07-2008, 18:51
A very good price too judging by this:

http://cgi.ebay.es/Sugden-R21-Stereo-FM-Tuner_W0QQitemZ260248325100QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2263 6QQcmdZViewItem

Beechwoods
05-07-2008, 19:09
Thanks, Shian7... I'd seen the German info site but not that eBay auction. There's one up 'as is' at the moment with no bids and a day to go - wonder if it'll get sniped last minute. It's nice to have snagged a bargain. I picked mine up at a local hifi and band-gear exchange. Most of the stuff they have in is plastic modern stuff, PA equipment, samplers and the occasional DAT machine... so this one was a nice find. I'd had my eye on it for a couple of weeks. Even got to haggle a bit because it was a quiet day.

Mike
05-07-2008, 19:19
Ah!... I'm now 'watching' the one on ebay. I quite like the look of them. :)

I seem to have a bit of a 'tuner thing' going on at the moment! Wonder how they compare to the Leak Troughline? :scratch:

Beechwoods
05-07-2008, 20:39
Well it's rigged up and singing nicely. I'm really impressed but I've no way of comparing it with any other tuner... the separation mentioned on those other sites is true - I've not been able to play it loud yet 'cos the kids are in bed and my aerial is an interior powered one not externally mounted, but if you can pick that one up on the 'bay for what it looks like it'll go for I think you might be impressed! They have, if nothing else, got a nice classic 'English' look to them. The one on eBay looks like it may have a different tuning ribbon to mine - mine is split orange / black like the 'thermometer' mentioned on the German site. The picture of the eBay item seems to have a white bar about where you'd find Radio 2... may be an aftermarket replacement?

Mike
05-07-2008, 20:55
The picture of the eBay item seems to have a white bar about where you'd find Radio 2... may be an aftermarket replacement?

Hmmm.... So it does! I hadn't noticed. :scratch:

Beechwoods
05-07-2008, 21:04
It may be worth asking if the ribbon is intact... it may be tuned all the way to the left of the 'dial' and it's just that the orange isn't visible... or it's broken... or 'fixed' - tbh I'd sorely miss the glow of the orange ribbon display if mine was missing :)

Mike
05-07-2008, 21:18
Good idea!....

I might not bid at all TBH, but then again! :doh: Oh I dunno, I might just stick with the Troughline and it's 'Magic Eye'. Hmmm, I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.;)

Is the R21 a valve or SS tuner? :confused:

Beechwoods
06-07-2008, 05:51
Solid state... no tubes here!

Mike Reed
06-07-2008, 11:45
Good idea!....

Hmmm, I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.;)

Luv it !! I can resist anything except temptation.

Mike
06-07-2008, 20:39
Well, I didn't bid and it didn't sell! :confused:

Guess I'll stick wiv me Leak! :)

Beechwoods
06-07-2008, 20:51
Mine was in better nick than his! I'm really enjoying listening to Radio 3,2,4 on it - some of the commercial channels and Radio 1 sound a bit overdriven but I'm not sure if that's my internal aerial and inability to properly filter out reflected signals on stronger / more tightly packed frequencies...

How much was your Leak? This gets compared with the Troughline, wonder how that performs?

Mike
06-07-2008, 20:58
Err... £80

I've no idea how it sounds, I've only just got it and haven't rigged up an Ariel yet. :(