PDA

View Full Version : Possible sale of WAD Kit6550 Valve Amp

Tony Moore
30-06-2008, 15:04
Hi All,

Due to recently building a clone WAD 300B Push Pull amp I am now considering selling my previous main amp, the WAD Kit6550. At this point I was really just wondering if there is any interest for this amp out there.

It is a HEAVILY modified version of the World Audio Designs (forerunner of World Designs) Kit6550 integrated amp. I have made the following improvements and component changes:

1. Fitted Sowter U082 output transformers
2. Reduced feedback (since new output transformers will allow the amp to remain stable with less feedback)
3. Power supply caps now Solen polypropylenes and very expensive Black Gate WKZs (3 off)
4. Black Gate NH for cathode bypass
5. Dynamicaps for coupling between stages.
6. Mills and Kiwame resistors throughout.
7. New production Tung Sol 6550s
8. NOS ECF80s
9. Elma source selection rotary switch.

Here are a couple of photos:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm168/TonyMoore300B/Kit6650Outside.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm168/TonyMoore300B/Kit6650Inside.jpg

There are a couple of cosmetic things that could be done to the amp to improve looks; one being the chroming of the Sowter output transformer end caps. This would probably cost around £50 to get done. Another is that I have a stepped attenuator in there currently which has gone a little noisy in switching operation so a replacement with such as an Alps pot would be advantageous and not cost a great deal.

This amp sounds really nice, it really should be heard to be appreciated but it's a good step on from a standard WAD 6550. I'd be sorry to see it go but on the other hand how many valves amps does one person need? :scratch: My new 300B amp _is_ an improvement over the Kit6550 but then you'd imagine that _would_ be the case and the difference is not _that_ huge. The Kit6550 is also a much cheaper amp to keep in valves too!

So if anyone's interested please drop me a PM or respond here with questions, etc.

I will probably bring this amp, as well as my new 300B amp along to ChesterFest in August.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony Moore
03-07-2008, 09:05
Now Sold! :)