PDA

View Full Version : ROHS and tube rolling

Togil
27-06-2008, 08:00
How does ROHS affect "tube rolling" on current production valve amps ?
I noticed a warning to the effect by some valve shops on ebay.

anthonyTD
27-06-2008, 08:42
How does ROHS affect "tube rolling" on current production valve amps ?
I noticed a warning to the effect by some valve shops on ebay.

thats a fair question,
as far as where most of the new current production valves are produced, i dont think they care too much about ROHS so realy speaking no new valve amp completely complies with ROHS standards,[as far as i am aware ] i understand the chinese are trying to comply, but i am not sure any of the russian valves are compliant at the moment. ROHS is a very touchy subject as far as valve amps are concerned, mainly due to the valve construction, and processes.
obviously there are ways around this or the big boys that use the majority of the new valves being produced, ie, marshall, fender, audio research, etc, would since ROHS became law be out of business!
a good subject, lets see some more ideas on this...:)
anthony.:)

Mike
27-06-2008, 13:44
I forget the in's & out's of ROHS...

Can someone fill me in please?

Just a thumbnail sketch outline sort of thing, I can't be bothered wading through it all. I seem to remember it's linked to the WEEE job?

Marco
03-07-2008, 08:10
Perhaps someone could define exactly what ROHS is to the less technically minded amongst us?

Don't you just hate it when people bandy around technical jargon on forums automatically presuming the target audience are au fait with the requisite terminology... ;)

And no, I can't be arsed Googling it - a simple and concise explanation in layman terms would be great :)

Marco.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
03-07-2008, 08:19
Does this help, I just lifted it from their web page;

The RoHS Directive stands for "the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment". This Directive bans the placing on the EU market of new electrical and electronic equipment containing more than agreed levels of lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) and polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants.

Andy - SDDW

lurcher
03-07-2008, 11:03
This Directive bans the placing on the EU market of new electrical and electronic equipment

I would guess the important word there is "new"

NRG
03-07-2008, 21:48
yes Nick. The company I work for needed to go through this and new products after 1st July 2006 (I think) had to be RoHS 6 compliant. Stuff made and on sale before had an exemption until 2011 (again, I think because I've forgotten the majority of it). As it so happened most of our stuff was RoHS 5 complaint so we didn't have too much trouble.

I suspect any new valve design released now would need to be RoHS compliant.

lurcher
03-07-2008, 22:49
I suspect any new valve design released now would need to be RoHS compliant.

I don't suppose being able to find pror art in the 1940's would invalidate designs being new would it :-)