PDA

View Full Version : Help - techie and herbie mat

Mike g
21-08-2010, 07:30
Hello all. As noted on another thread I got the audiophile mat from timestep earlier this week for my 1210. Last night I was given it a proper spin and the needle kept skipping. After playing about a bit (I am no tt set up expert) the only thing that seemed to solve this was putting my original 1210 may under the new may. This also helped the sound by significantly filling it out. Now I am no Sherlock but I have deduced that this means that my arm (origin live ol1) is too high to use with the mat on it's own. Now I need to work out whether the Vta can be lowered (I don't think that the adjustable vta thingy is on the arm) but if not my question is - am I losing the benefit of the audiophile mat by having the original technics mat under it? It is a bit of a shame that I can't get the audiophile mat to work without Using the other mat.

Any advice gratefully accepted. Sorry for typos etc - all done on my phone.

Dave Cawley
21-08-2010, 08:50
Arm rest position/height?

Dave

Mike g
21-08-2010, 09:04
Hi dave I wondered that but can't seem to lower it any further - there is very little space between rest and the arm when the rest is down. Might try playing with that to see if it helps. Is there a way to adjust this?

Ps the feet are great. Now saving for the psu.

DSJR
21-08-2010, 15:44
Isn't the OL1 one of the Rega derived arms? If so, do you have the arm plate which is recessed a few mm (look on Dave's Timestep/SoundHiFi site for confirmation).

If the arm slopes down (in other words, high at the back), the tube will foul the cueing device as stated by dave above. This is adjustable with a small metric Allen key on the front of the cueing platform itself (the bit that goes up and down). The arm sloping down is also an indication that the rear is too high. Since the Rega derived arms have fixed pillar height, a modified Techie arm-plate may be needed.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you ;)

Mike g
21-08-2010, 16:27
Hi Dave r and thanks for the advice. Although it is a rega derived arm it is on the OL techie arm plate. On inspection though it appears that the arm is just resting on the arm rest. I've found the alan key nut u mentioned however don't have a small enough alan key. It explains why there was no problem earlier in the week when I was playing some thicker vinyl. I'll try and get a smaller Alan key and make the necessary adjustment (there does appear to be a spare few mm on the rest for it to go down). Any idea what size of key I will need?

DSJR
21-08-2010, 16:36
I think it's a 1.5mm... Get a cheap set from Halfords or Poundland if they have any.

Mike g
21-08-2010, 17:59
Guys thanks for the help. I did some more searching and it appears that the Allen key is about 1.2mm. I used a grinder that I have to take a bit of my 1.5mm Allen key and hey presto was able to lower the arm request the required 3 mm or so. Things now working smoothly again. However I might experiment with something under the herbie mat - I think that the techie liked the extra weight of the 2 mats. Less detail than with the herbie alone but perhaps a touch more boogie factor???,Anyway, thanks again

Dave Cawley
21-08-2010, 18:16
It would be 1.27mm http://www.soundhifi.com/vinylbits.html

Dave

Reid Malenfant
21-08-2010, 18:19
It would be 1.27mm
:scratch: That's an odd metric size :eyebrows:

Try 1/20" & hell that's small :mental: