PDA

View Full Version : Beresford T-7520 with Macs experience?

Sutekh
19-08-2010, 05:01
I've recently bought a Beresford T-7520 for my macs. The dac gives a nice, warmth sound to my poor system and I am impressed. I just have one question- I've noticed high pitch clicking noise from the dac itself every time when my macs change tracks. The gentleman at Beresford North American told me the noise is due to the reset when the DAC chip sees a pause in signals.:scratch: It seems even a new unit can't change a thing. So I am wondering if anyone had 7520 with Macs experiences and don't have that high pitch click noise. How did you setup your macs to avoid those clicking noise? Thank you.

Lucia.

StanleyB
19-08-2010, 07:50
The clicking inside the DAC is from the muting relays. Relays make a clicking sound when activated or deactivated.

Sutekh
19-08-2010, 09:34
Hi Stan,

Are there solutions to reduce or prevent the clicking sounds from muting relays? Thanks,

HighFidelityGuy
19-08-2010, 10:01
Are you sat right next to your DAC? My Caiman is about 3M from my listening position and I can't hear the relays. I can only hear them if I'm right next to it.

There's no way to stop the relays from clicking, it's just what they do. Most audio equipment in the same price range use muting transistors which don't click but are inferior from a sound quality point of view. Relays are also more expensive, so they are a sign of quality. :)

The only way round the problem would be to apply the passive output mod and bypass the relays. This will stop the clicking and give you a big boost in sound quality but it will void your waranty.
The relays may bed in over time and become quieter though, so I'd stick with it for a few weeks. It'll take at least that long to run in the DAC anyway. :)

StanleyB
19-08-2010, 10:18
Hi Stan,

Are there solutions to reduce or prevent the clicking sounds from muting relays? Thanks,
I am not aware if any company does a electro mechanical relay that does not make a clicking sound. They could be replaced by muting transistors, which is what most DACs and CD players below U$1000 use. But it will reduce the audio playback quality.

Sutekh
23-08-2010, 04:37
Dave,

Thanks for the info. My 7520 sits right next to me so I need a solution to stop those clicking sounds.

Stan,

I am curious if different input methods stop clicking sounds, say use toslink not usb?

HighFidelityGuy
23-08-2010, 07:48
Hi Lucia,

All of the inputs will produce the clicking sound as they all go through the muting relays.
The only way you can stop the relays from clicking is to bypass them. The only way I know to do this is to implement the passive output mod but I'm sure there will be other ways to do it. Stan's the best person the ask about that though. :)