PDA

View Full Version : Regular - yet irregular - thump from Garrard 301

immac
14-08-2010, 22:09
Hello Art of Sound members,
I have a Garrard 301 MKII (oil-bearing) which has been sat in a cardboard box for at least a decade awaiting some love. Recently I've taken it out and given it to a relative for a once over. He is a hi-fi engineer of no little experience. He reports back - the motor is quiet and holds its speed perfectly. But there is a knocking noise, apparently emanating from the idler mechanism.
At first, he thought 'bent idler'. However, it didn't look damaged. And then when he went away and then came back and switched on the deck again - it didn't make the noise. And we discovered that sometimes it knocks, sometimes it doesn't. In all other respects, everything is in working order. If it was a bent idler spindle, surely it would make the noise all the time. Any ideas as to what it could be? We are baffled.
All suggestions very gratefully received.
Thank you
Immac

DSJR
14-08-2010, 22:16
The forum police will be after you if you don't tell us something about yourself - where you hail from, your system and musical tastes...

The idler SURFACE may want cleaning as the slightest bit of grit partially emedded will cause this. Also the driving surface of the rubber may need to be "evened out" by cleaning, as I remember from my idler days a regular "swishing" noise caused by contaminated idler drives (the auto mech in a Collaro Conquest was driven by a separate idler and these used to make the most horrid swish-swish noises when cycling).

By the way - welcome :)

Alex_UK
14-08-2010, 22:39
Hello & welcome, + what Dave said to tip you the wink about forum etiquette if you could be so kind.

Primalsea (Paul) suggested a good remedy in this thread/post http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=85105&postcount=13 if the actual idler wheel rubber is in any way suffering. But why it only happens sometimes, I wouldn't have a clue - sure one of the more knowledgeable Garrard owners than me the "vinyl numpty" will be better placed to assist further.

Spectral Morn
15-08-2010, 09:55
Hello Art of Sound members,
I have a Garrard 301 MKII (oil-bearing) which has been sat in a cardboard box for at least a decade awaiting some love. Recently I've taken it out and given it to a relative for a once over. He is a hi-fi engineer of no little experience. He reports back - the motor is quiet and holds its speed perfectly. But there is a knocking noise, apparently emanating from the idler mechanism.
At first, he thought 'bent idler'. However, it didn't look damaged. And then when he went away and then came back and switched on the deck again - it didn't make the noise. And we discovered that sometimes it knocks, sometimes it doesn't. In all other respects, everything is in working order. If it was a bent idler spindle, surely it would make the noise all the time. Any ideas as to what it could be? We are baffled.
All suggestions very gratefully received.
Thank you
Immac

Please pop into the Welcome section and tell us a wee bit about yourself, taste in music and your system.

Oh yes and can you make your first (real)name your signature please.

Thank you in advance and Welcome to AOS

Regards D S D L

immac
15-08-2010, 10:39
Hi

Thank you for your generous replies thus far. I am surprised at how rapid the response has been.

I thought I had put stuff in my profile. Am I missing something? Apologies if I have.

Funny how everyone assumes that Immac is not my real name...:)

Spectral Morn
15-08-2010, 12:43
Hi

Thank you for your generous replies thus far. I am surprised at how rapid the response has been.

I thought I had put stuff in my profile. Am I missing something? Apologies if I have.

Funny how everyone assumes that Immac is not my real name...:)

Ian

Hi Ian new members are asked to pop into the Welcome section of the forum (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15) and say hello first etc as it is nice to be able to get to know new members before launching into audio chat.

Regards D S D L

John
15-08-2010, 12:48
The forum police will be after you if you don't tell us something about yourself - where you hail from, your system and musical tastes...

The idler SURFACE may want cleaning as the slightest bit of grit partially emedded will cause this. Also the driving surface of the rubber may need to be "evened out" by cleaning, as I remember from my idler days a regular "swishing" noise caused by contaminated idler drives (the auto mech in a Collaro Conquest was driven by a separate idler and these used to make the most horrid swish-swish noises when cycling).

By the way - welcome :)
Dave welcome to the forum police;)

John
15-08-2010, 12:50
Hopefuly Clive might be able to advise as he has a 301

Clive
15-08-2010, 13:38
It could be that the idler rubber has a ding in it, often they can be teased out with some manipulation (best done with the wheel removed). Could be that bearing on the idler is duff. Check with Perfect Sound for spare parts, if they are needed.

gortnipper
22-08-2010, 06:07
As Clive says - check the idler wheel for flat spots or if it is hard - it should be soft and supple. The inside of the platter should be clean and free of debris. If not, clean both with isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol).

Check also its alignment (with the platter off) as it engages the various steps of motor pulley when set to different speeds. It should be centred on the appropriate step, and not rub on the one above/below it.

Check also the eddy current brake mechanism (the magnet attached to mechanism controlled by the fine speed adjustment knob). Sometimes the disc on the motor spindle rubs on the eddy current brake.

DSJR
22-08-2010, 11:29
+1

immac
22-08-2010, 13:24
Sorry for the silence everyone. My engineering rellie has gone on holiday so the quest to discover the cause of the knock...knock...knock... has been put on hold until early September, whereupon we will both be applying ourselves to it more fully. If we can't discover an answer I'll film it and put it on Youtube for everyone's amusement. For all I know, this may be a fault that it has always had to some extent but which has only recently got bad enough to become audibly apparent. But I doubt it.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who has read this and especially those who have posted. I'll be back with more once I know more.

Thank you
Ian

DSJR
22-08-2010, 14:11
All you need to do is clean your hands of grease/sweat, remove the platter and start the drive. Carefully and gently touch the driving side of the idler while it's rotating and see if you can "feel" a bump or rough spot. Crude, but it worked for me ;)