PDA

View Full Version : Poor Poor Me

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
21-07-2010, 17:34
Hi Guys

Cookie has been to the vets on Monday to have the Lady Bits removed, all went well. A bit subdued for a while bit picked up ok after 12hrs or so.

Problem is she won't leave the wound alone and licks it quite a bit.
Results is a sore wound and some new head gear for sad dog.

Don't I Look Sad
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/Cookie12.jpg

Cookie Wouldn't Wait For Me To Take The Collar Off Before Eating
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/Cookie09V1.jpg

Andy - SDDW

The Vinyl Adventure
21-07-2010, 17:45
When we had that done to Imp, our cat she had the collar on for so long that after it was taken of she literally licked her self clean for so long she was wet like she had been in the rain. She didn't like it at all! The sad thin was, no sooner did she have it taken off did she give her self self some kinda war wound on her belly that got infected... Collar back on, unhappy kitty, week later, collar off, kitty wet like been out in the rain...

goraman
21-07-2010, 19:24
Can she get HD satellite with that thing?
Sorry for your pooches cooch, pet her and get her to sleep alot and she'll be fine.

Effem
22-07-2010, 06:55
One of our Greyhounds decided she would wander off a few yards on her own and spotted a rabbit just in front of her. It was the shortest chase ever because within yards she collided with a small tree. She now has 2 broken bones and a torn tendon in her rear leg which needs an operation tomorrow. We had three options; operate to repair the leg, amputation and euthenasia. Tough call when you are potless.

The bloomin' x-ray was over a hundred quid and another £600 needed for the operation. OUCH! for the dog and OUCH! for our finances which are in distress already. I'm off back to the field today to find the rabbit and ask it to pay up!

The Grand Wazoo
22-07-2010, 06:58
Hi Andy -I hope Cookie recovers soon. It must be cramping her style a bit when it comes to those long walks you all love.

Cheers

22-07-2010, 17:22
Hi Guys

Cheers for your replies.

Cookie is now doing surprisingly well. From 36Hrs after her op she shows no signs of pain or discomfort, in fact it is getting hard trying to stop her jumping about.

She has temporarily being named 'Conehead the Barbarian' She is wrecking the house scraping the cone on the walls and doors even managed to open a kitchen cupboard earlier. She doesn't know where her head is.

HD TV, not too bad though the reception is a bit Woof.

Frank, most sorry to hear of your dogs troubles. Nothing comes cheap when you visit the Vets these days. I feel for your wallet, mine as dry as the Kalahari at the mo too.

Chris, the long walks will be back on soon if she continues to improve as well as she is doing. I think about 10 - 14 days.
Her stitches come out in 6 days time, than just shortish walks for a bit.

Cheers All

Andy - SDDW

anthonyTD
22-07-2010, 17:33
hope she gets well soon andy.:)
A...

Techno Commander
22-07-2010, 19:34
Indeed, Franks greyhound also.

We went through a rather rough patch a couple of years back with our cat. Unfortunately, the outcome was not good. :(

anthonyTD
23-07-2010, 12:39
One of our Greyhounds decided she would wander off a few yards on her own and spotted a rabbit just in front of her. It was the shortest chase ever because within yards she collided with a small tree. She now has 2 broken bones and a torn tendon in her rear leg which needs an operation tomorrow. We had three options; operate to repair the leg, amputation and euthenasia. Tough call when you are potless.

The bloomin' x-ray was over a hundred quid and another £600 needed for the operation. OUCH! for the dog and OUCH! for our finances which are in distress already. I'm off back to the field today to find the rabbit and ask it to pay up!
hi frank,
only just read about your woes, good luck with her and hope the op went ok.
regards,anthony,TD...

Effem
23-07-2010, 15:14
Just had a phone call from the vet who is well into the op right now and it's not going well at all :(

She has broken off the entire heel bone with the tendon still attached which hasn't thankfully been damaged. This morning the procedure was going to be to pin and wire the bone back onto the stump, but the part attached to the tendon is rather small so pins are not going to be the answer. He rang to ask if an amputation could be considered and we said no. Greyhounds have comparatively weak spindly legs as you know and they don't do well on three legs like most other dogs do. In fact our neighbour has a three legged dog and he gets around well.

He isn't going to give up her just yet and said it will mean taking great care of her for six weeks or so afterwards, but hey, you love them to bits don't you?

Gotta wait some more for hopefully some better news :(

Effem
23-07-2010, 15:33
I really can't let this poor dog have it's leg amputated :( She is a real sweetie

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs585.snc3/30850_399697686763_552606763_4087977_6925062_n.jpg

Shame about the fat old fart in the photo

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs585.snc3/30850_399697711763_552606763_4087978_6368560_n.jpg

23-07-2010, 15:33
Frank

I know what you are going through, hope she gets well soon.
My thoughts are with you.
Take good care of her when she gets home and also yourself too.

Andy - SDDW

Alex_UK
23-07-2010, 15:39
Fingers crossed, Frank. :(

Effem
23-07-2010, 20:37
The vet rang at 6.30 to say the operation is done now and it's a case of wait and see if the damage heals. She is not to walk on it for a minimum of 6 weeks - try telling the dog that.

So, it's now a case of lugging 27kg of dog up and down stairs so she can do here business in the garden and good job we invested in a Vax if we miss the signals when she needs to go.

Effem
23-07-2010, 20:43
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs525.ash1/30850_399697676763_552606763_4087975_565700_n.jpg

Here's a picture of Jazz our other dog. He's a Saluki/Greyhound cross so he hasn't raced and he is one of the best temperamented dogs we've ever had. It the background are some of the young saplings with the spiral rabbit guards that Jenny ran into while chasing the rabbit.

By the way, the other dog in the picture above with me and Jenny laying on the ground is Hannah, one of the many foster ex-racing Greyhounds we have looked after.

Effem
24-07-2010, 10:38
Just collected Jenny from the vets.

Looking very bruised and battered on her right leg, but at least she has FOUR :) Tried laying her the other way but she had other thoughts, so sorry about the phallic imagery :lolsign:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/kernowman/jenny_after_op.jpg

Techno Commander
24-07-2010, 10:48
Fingers crossed she gets well soon Frank.

24-07-2010, 16:58
Frank

Good to see her at home, although you have your work cut out for you, it must be a nice releif to have her back.

Take care and you have my thoughts.

Andy

anthonyTD
24-07-2010, 23:12
+1 :)
A...

Ali Tait
24-07-2010, 23:34
+2 :)

Barry
25-07-2010, 17:49
+3 :)

Mike
25-07-2010, 20:10
+4 :)

Effem
27-08-2010, 20:48
It's now over 5 weeks of sitting constantly on the sofa looking after Jenny and her broken leg. Yesterday the vet reduced her bandaging to a single layer, so she should start putting some weight on it but no walkies just yet.

Last night our Jazz rolled over onto his back and we spot some ominous pale grey scaly circles on his belly and chest. Poor bugger has got Ringworm so it's off to the vet's with him tomorrow to get it treated. Probably caught it off the Fox crap he is so keen on rolling in from time to time.

While the missus is at work some fellow dog owners in the village will either take Jazz and the foster dog out for a walk, or they will sit with Jenny while I take the dogs out. Poor lady rang on the doorbell this afternoon and she was most shocked when I turned her round and led out the front door no sooner than she stepped inside. I did explain that Ringworm is highly contagious and I didn't want it transferred on her clothing to her 2 dogs.

anthonyTD
27-08-2010, 21:09
It's now over 5 weeks of sitting constantly on the sofa looking after Jenny and her broken leg. Yesterday the vet reduced her bandaging to a single layer, so she should start putting some weight on it but no walkies just yet.

Last night our Jazz rolled over onto his back and we spot some ominous pale grey scaly circles on his belly and chest. Poor bugger has got Ringworm so it's off to the vet's with him tomorrow to get it treated. Probably caught it off the Fox crap he is so keen on rolling in from time to time.

While the missus is at work some fellow dog owners in the village will either take Jazz and the foster dog out for a walk, or they will sit with Jenny while I take the dogs out. Poor lady rang on the doorbell this afternoon and she was most shocked when I turned her round and led out the front door no sooner than she stepped inside. I did explain that Ringworm is highly contagious and I didn't want it transferred on her clothing to her 2 dogs.

hi frank,
good news on jenny, hopefully her leg will be just fine when the muscles have built up again.
as for jazz, good job you spotted it!
A...

27-08-2010, 21:32
Really good news regarding Jenny, your care and love paying off very well Frank.
Hope Jazz is sorted out quickly too.

Andy - SDDW

Effem
13-09-2010, 16:50
Well after what seems like an absolute eternity of sitting on the sofa all day every day, we now have a doggie with 4 working legs :eyebrows:

She can stand still on it with her rear paw fully on the ground, walk with the tips of her paw just touching the ground, but any faster she is on 3 legs only. At least it is progress so we can at least take her for very short walks, so she too must be pleased as punch to go out for a sniff and snort as all dogs love to do.

All we have to do now is finish paying off the vet's bill *GULP* :violin:

Techno Commander
13-09-2010, 18:39
Superb. Excellent news. :)

anthonyTD
13-09-2010, 19:10
great news!!!:clap::dance:
anthony...

goraman
15-09-2010, 05:44
Great news,you won't have to change her name to Tripod.
It could take a long time getting her to come to a new name.