PDA

View Full Version : Big day for a little guy...

goraman
29-06-2010, 00:13
My son got babtised at 11 months old 06/27/10
We hired a cake artist,It looked alot beter than it tasted.
The whole thing was eadable but the wires suporting the flowers.
There was some serious eating and drinking that followed.
It was 107 degrees F of dry heat. Missrable heat so half my guest list showed up for the after party leaveing 15 people to catered food for 30 and 2 1/2 cases of beer and tons of sodas.

Alex_UK
29-06-2010, 05:37
Congratulations to you all!

°C = 5/9 (°F - 32) In other words, 107°F = 41.67°C...! :eek: (That's about what it was when I visited Death Valley, it was almost impossible to move!)

Steve Toy
29-06-2010, 13:30
I've experienced 42C in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Dry heat so no sweating. However 3 litres of water in 2 hours and not needing a pee :oops:

Barry
29-06-2010, 17:04
The hottest place I've been to, where I have been able to measure the temperature was in the Western Desert in Egypt: 41 degC.

I suffered heat exhaustion and short term delerium when trekking in the desert in Mauritania. In both cases it was a dry heat, so sweat could evaporate. My problem in Mauritania was that I just was not drinking enough water to replace that lost by sweating. It was also very hot in Iran; so hot that the metalwork of my camera was almost too hot to handle. Again a dry heat.

Worse though is humid heat, such as that experienced in the Far East. Sweat can't evaporate properly under these conditions so it feels very uncomfortable.

Have visited Uzbekistan, and found it to be warm to hot, but I don't think it was anything like 42C. Was there in the September, where I presume temperatures are lower.

I loose interest, and think only of finding shade, once the temperature passes 30C. 42C ! - I'd just shut down!

On my travels I once met someone whose ambition was to experience a temperature range of 100C, i.e. -50C (say, in Siberia) and +50C (say, in Saudi Arabia). Curious ambition. :scratch:

Regards

goraman
29-06-2010, 22:17
The hottest place I've been to, where I have been able to measure the temperature was in the Western Desert in Egypt: 41 degC.

I suffered heat exhaustion and short term delerium when trekking in the desert in Mauritania. In both cases it was a dry heat, so sweat could evaporate. My problem in Mauritania was that I just was not drinking enough water to replace that lost by sweating. It was also very hot in Iran; so hot that the metalwork of my camera was almost too hot to handle. Again a dry heat.

Worse though is humid heat, such as that experienced in the Far East. Sweat can't evaporate properly under these conditions so it feels very uncomfortable.

Have visited Uzbekistan, and found it to be warm to hot, but I don't think it was anything like 42C. Was there in the September, where I presume temperatures are lower.

I loose interest, and think only of finding shade, once the temperature passes 30C. 42C ! - I'd just shut down!

On my travels I once met someone whose ambition was to experience a temperature range of 100C, i.e. -50C (say, in Siberia) and +50C (say, in Saudi Arabia). Curious ambition. :scratch:

Regards

100C=200F insaine:mental:

I have been to Pakistan in August with amibic disentary,Hell on Earth.Hot as Hell and humide.

The Grand Wazoo
29-06-2010, 23:03
I've done Pakistan too, both hot & dry, & hot and humid depending on the time of year. The same goes for Central Africa, where the period leading up to the rains is known by some as the suicide season. It's so humid it's an effort to just move through the thick atmosphere. You get out of a cold shower & before you have had time to reach for a towel, you're sweating again. The rain is in the air but it's not falling!

After that, dry heat is a doddle as long as you've got something to drink.
Having said that there is the cartoon you see everywhere in Arizona of two skeletons lying parched in the desert, one telling the other : "It's not so bad though, cos it's a dry heat"

goraman
29-06-2010, 23:08
I've done Pakistan too, both hot & dry, & hot and humid depending on the time of year. The same goes for Central Africa, where the period leading up to the rains is known by some as the suicide season. It's so humid it's an effort to just move through the thick atmosphere. You get out of a cold shower & before you have had time to reach for a towel, you're sweating again. The rain is in the air but it's not falling!

Having said that there is the cartoon you see everywhere in Arizona of two skeletons lying parched in the desert, one telling the other : "It's not so bad though, cos it's a dry heat"

I've seen that cartoon before in Death Valley.
My wife and I plan to visit Dubi in the summer on our way to Pakistan next time Have you ever seen the Ajman Hotel We want to stay there for a week before visiting in Khanewal.

Barry
29-06-2010, 23:12

Sound like the humidity was very close to 100%. I found the humidity in the rainforests of Gabon pretty oppressive.

That's where I went astray in Mauritania; not that I didn't have water with me, I did (2 litre Sigg bottles) - it's just that I didn't feel thirsty, so didn't drink enough until it was too late. In those conditions you are supposed to drink at least a litre an hour.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
29-06-2010, 23:20
My childhood years spent in Africa stood me in good stead in later years back in UK. By the age of 9 I had learnt the knack of getting liquid into the body as fast as possible. When you can do a pint in 2.14 seconds, you get an awful lot of pints bought for you - a great trick for an inpecunious beer-hound student!

The Grand Wazoo
29-06-2010, 23:28
I've seen that cartoon before in Death Valley.
My wife and I plan to visit Dubi in the summer on our way to Pakistan next time Have you ever seen the Ajman Hotel We want to stay there for a week before visiting in Khanewal.

We lived a good few hundred miles to the NE of Khanewal, at Mangla near the Kashmir and also at Tarbela, which is NW of there, to the north of Islamabad.

Barry
29-06-2010, 23:54
We lived a good few hundred miles to the NE of Khanewal, at Mangla near the Kashmir and also at Tarbela, which is NW of there, to the north of Islamabad.

I entered Pakistan from China, via the Karakorum highway. You can imagine the dramatic experience of leaving a rather drab and cold Western Tibet, travelling through a 'gully' for a few boring hours, then breaking out into the Karimabad valley. All lush, green with the local women wearing wonderfully colourful saris. And it was pleasntly warm, but not too hot.

Regards

Marco
30-06-2010, 15:14
Then you stopped for the best ruby you've ever had? :)

Marco.

retro
30-06-2010, 17:30
Congratulations to the entire family :cool:

Regards,

StanleyB
01-07-2010, 10:04
You can imagine the dramatic experience of leaving a rather drab and cold Western Tibet, travelling through a 'gully' for a few boring hours, then breaking out into the Karimabad valley.
Not everyone gets robbed and killed by bandits in that 'gully'. Might have been boring, but count your lucky stars for that.

goraman
01-07-2010, 12:53
I don't belive there is a safe place anywhere in Pakistan,I was there right after Ritchard Pearl was ritualy murdered.Seems to me one day someone other than the US will have to go in and remove the taliban,Pakitan needs humanitarian help aswell the poverty itself is ugly as sin.It's sometimes hard to belive this far along in human evolution such a place still exists.

Barry
02-07-2010, 07:59
Not everyone gets robbed and killed by bandits in that 'gully'. Might have been boring, but count your lucky stars for that.

My boring trip was over twenty years ago, but even then North Eastern Pakistan was a place where you had to be careful.

They are predominantly of the Ishmali sect of Islam and proud of it, though considered heretical by some of the Sunnis. They are fiercely protective of their women, so you had to be very careful with photography.

They also like to play a game called buz kharghi (not quite sure about the spelling). This is a sort of polo, played on horseback, but without polo sticks. The 'ball' is a severed goats head. I couldn't follow the rules (if there are any), but it would seem that the team that has posession of the head for longest the time wins.

Barry
02-07-2010, 08:07
I don't belive there is a safe place anywhere in Pakistan,I was there right after Ritchard Pearl was ritualy murdered.Seems to me one day someone other than the US will have to go in and remove the taliban,Pakistan needs humanitarian help as well the poverty itself is ugly as sin. It's sometimes hard to belive this far along in human evolution such a place still exists.

Pakistan is not the only place I would not want to visit today. Yemen, Iran, Uzbekistan and Sri Lanka are all troubled areas. Shame, as all four are fascinating countries to visit, and when I did, found the people there to be friendly and helpful. Not so today.

Anyway, as I seem to have caused a serious drift of thread, let me return it by congratulating everyone at the baptism.

Regards