PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this vintage speaker?

Light Capture
15-06-2010, 17:13
I bought a vintage stereo system to use in my garage from an elderly lady in NC, which included a mint Kenwood KT-2600 receiver and these speakers. They must also be from the mid '70s too. The combo sounds quite fine on FM, its main purpose and duty in my garage. (In time I will replace the surrounds on the mid/bass drivers)

Labeled: 'AE Series' on front, 'Analogue Systems' on rear, no model number.
Drivers: 10" paper mid/bass and 1-1/2" clear polyamide dome tweeter w/ fiberglass insulation seen thru the dome. Similar in size and driver compliment as my Dynaco A-25 XLs.
Possibly vintage Acoustic Energy?, or made for one of the many stereo shops of the day, or a manufacturer I never heard of. Is there a 'Sherlock' out there that can identify these fine speakers.

Respectfully,
Mike

Marco
15-06-2010, 19:39
Labeled: 'AE Series' on front, 'Analogue Systems' on rear, no model number.
Drivers: 10" paper mid/bass and 1-1/2" clear polyamide dome tweeter w/ fiberglass insulation seen thru the dome. Similar in size and driver compliment as my Dynaco A-25 XLs.
Possibly vintage Acoustic Energy?, or made for one of the many stereo shops of the day, or a manufacturer I never heard of.

Erm, Mike, sorry to state the obvious, but could they be 'Analogue Systems' speakers of some description (model unknown), being as that's what it says on the label? ;)

The "AE" on the front is perhaps the name of the particular product range, as in "AE Series".

I've never heard of them, though! I think, if you haven't done so already, you should Google for "Analogue Systems loudspeakers, AE Series" and see what shows up :)

Marco.

DSJR
15-06-2010, 19:40
I don't think they're Acoustic Energy, but possibly one of the small US speakers - you guys had a HUGE audio market in the 70's..

The slotted port reminds me of Dynaco, but this could be misleading.

Marco
15-06-2010, 19:55
Read the bloody LABEL on the back!!

:lol:

Marco.

Rare Bird
15-06-2010, 20:14
There not Dynaco A25 the red Unit see, even though thats what i thought straight away, i think they maybe kits based on the design.

Light Capture
15-06-2010, 23:29
I don't think they are Dynacos either as I have A-25 XLs, but the design is awfully close in style, maybe because of the popularity. Maybe a house brand offered as a kit w/ the Kenwood receiver for a budget price, though someone on another forum said he remembers them and they where not a house brand. The mystery thickens. I need Sherlock Holmes, as I'm hoping to find out for sure. I'll keep researching. They do sound nice though.

goraman
25-06-2010, 22:05
read the bloody label on the back!!

:lol:

Marco.

read the lable!!!

acousticimagery
05-07-2010, 14:53
Mike

I was intruiged by your loudspeakers and the quest to identify them so I phoned Analogue Systems and spoke to Bob Williams who turns out to be a pioneer of the synthesizer industry. I thought there may be a connection because the knob on the input panel bears a resemblence to those old fashioned '70s synth control knobs and maybe Analogue Systems offered a package of synth and speakers.

But........alas, Bob confirmed to me that they never made or sold speakers badged with their name.

Sorry....I tried!.............Good luck with the refurb.

Oh, and one other thing, AE is Acoustic Energy of Cirencester UK and their first model was the AE1 nearfield monitor which was launched in 1987 with an aluminium bass/mid cone. So they were not making speakers when your 'mystery' speaker was obviously born.

Cheers :cool:

acousticimagery

Rare Bird
05-07-2010, 15:53
Bobs a brilliant bloke to talk to & has some awesome synths, i spoke with him in the 90's this was before the AS synths..

fotoburger
16-08-2010, 18:35
Could that be an AL not an AE on the front? Maybe Altec Lansing? Just throwing in from the peanut gallery.