PDA

View Full Version : Indulging my internet audiophile voodoo...

tfarney
03-06-2008, 22:02
If you haven't figured it out by now, I cary a fair amount of skepticism around with me. So I'm not looking for a used Playstation 1 to use as a source, and when I read a review online that describes a homemade speaker cable created from a bit of silver solder and a Wal-Mart outdoor drop cord like this:

They have a warm musical balance not unlike Cardas Golden Cross, do lots of space and positively nail the tone. Tone, tone, tone - everywhere there's intensely beautiful tone! They have lots of musically natural detail and decent PRaT too. They do nice tight bass. They actually rank right up there with the best interconnects and speaker cables I've ever heard for overall musicality.

But I figured I had just $8 or so to lose, so I picked up a length of Walmart's audiophile cable, the "Yardmaster Outdoor Patio Cord," and slapped some nice gold-ended banana plugs on them. And they sound good. I can't say veils of murk have lifted, revealing golden hues and magnificent resolution, or anything like that, but they sound good. Better than the standard issue speaker cable that was on there. Of course it could also be the fact that I've been running pink noise through these incredibly tight little speakers for the last 24 hours too. They seem to have opened up a bit, but they still suffer their core issue, which is a nasality in the mids that shows up particularly badly on human voices. There's a crossover mod on the web I could try. Or I could just buy a pair of those Tektons...

Here's the review. They also recommend a Playstation 1 as the source.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

Tim

alb
03-06-2008, 22:25
There's been quite a lot written about the wonders of the Playstation 1. When this happens there is usually something positive behind it all.
I suppose it's possible that the PS1 at least has a decent transport. Presumably it's made to withstand the inevitable rough treatment from kids.
I have a later PS1 standing by just in case i get unbelievably bored one day. But the desirable early ones, with the RCA sockets don't seem to be very common.
Though i haven't really tried hard to find one.

Mike
03-06-2008, 22:31
Errrr......

<sneeks off onto the loft where several playstations lurk>

I'm just going out for a while, I may be some time. :eyebrows:

Marco
03-06-2008, 22:40
I hate to say this guys but I've been there and done that (in a mate's system) with the appropriate Playstation.

It sounds ok, probably about as good as any budget CDP, but it's a very long way from being able to compete with a top-notch CDP, such as my Sony, or something of its ilk.

The horrible switch-mode PSU is probably largely responsible for the mediocre sound. I guess it's ok if you've got nothing else better to use, or for those on a very low budget.

Marco.

tfarney
03-06-2008, 22:52
There's been quite a lot written about the wonders of the Playstation 1. When this happens there is usually something positive behind it all.
I suppose it's possible that the PS1 at least has a decent transport.

Unlikely a decent transport would make people think it sounds "audiophile." More likely it's an output section tweaked for gaming, ie: a low mid boost resulting in warmth.

Tim

Filterlab
03-06-2008, 22:53
I hate to say this guys but I've been there and done that (in a mate's system) with the appropriate Playstation.

It sounds ok, probably about as good as any budget CDP, but it's a very long way from being able to compete with a top-notch CDP, such as my Sony, or something of its ilk.

The horrible switch-mode PSU is probably largely responsible for the mediocre sound. I guess it's ok if you've got nothing else better to use, or for those on a very low budget.

Marco.

Ahh, but how about if it has an off-board DAC attached? I can't remember if the PS1 had a digital out or not. :scratch:

<sneeks off into the bedroom cupboard where several playstations lurk>

:)

Filterlab
03-06-2008, 22:58
That'll be a no then. Blimey, have you ever seen anything with such limited connectivity?

http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/random_stuff/03062008.jpg

Marco
03-06-2008, 23:00
By all means have a play, mate - experimenting is what hi-fi is all about. I wouldn't expect anything special from it, though. Like I said it was very average when I tried it and absolutely nothing like what I'm used to hearing with CD.

Keep us posted though if you discover anything exciting :smoking:

Marco.

Filterlab
03-06-2008, 23:05
Well since it has no digital output, there's feck all I can do with it. :)

Marco
03-06-2008, 23:10
If I remember correctly Ian fitted some phono sockets to his Playstation (it was the 'desirable' model) and we just connected it to his preamp like a normal CDP. The sound quality I'm afraid was distinctly underwhelming. I'm think that sometimes you get what you pay for in hi-fi...

Marco.

alb
03-06-2008, 23:10
That's the conclusion i came to.:)

Marco
03-06-2008, 23:15
I always knew you were a man of taste, Al :smoking:

It just makes you wonder though what the hell these people are listening to who think it sounds good! :scratch:

Marco.

tfarney
03-06-2008, 23:19
I'm think that sometimes you get what you pay for in hi-fi...

Until you wire up your speakers with a $7.44 Walmart outdoor drop cord and get sound that rivals several hundred dollars worth of Cardas cable, of course. When I'm not listening, I can take my speakers outside and trim the weeds...

:gig:

Tim

Filterlab
05-06-2008, 10:24
Until you wire up your speakers with a $7.44 Walmart outdoor drop cord and get sound that rivals several hundred dollars worth of Cardas cable, of course. When I'm not listening, I can take my speakers outside and trim the weeds...

:gig:

Tim

The cables thing never fails to amaze me. I just can't find anything more suitable for my system and my ears than my QED X-Tube 400. It's not expensive (£10 metre) but the way it works knocks me down every time I do a comparison. I've tried many high end speaker cables, I've read about construction types and made a few DIY cables, I've borrowed cables from friends that work amazing in their systems - but none have come close.

Mike
05-06-2008, 15:34
That reminds me!...

I must dig out that weird stuff I was on about and give it a whirl in my current system, I've not used it for ages. Not sure how it'll perform, I'm sure I read/heard/dreamt that valve amps don't like Litz cable though. Could be wrong. :confused:

Only thing is, they're 10M long and I only need 3M. I could cut them up and make a bi-wire set but they're an absolute bastard to re-terminate. :steam:

Iain Sinclair
05-06-2008, 18:15
That reminds me!...

I must dig out that weird stuff I was on about and give it a whirl in my current system, I've not used it for ages. Not sure how it'll perform, I'm sure I read/heard/dreamt that valve amps don't like Litz cable though. Could be wrong. :confused:

I think it's Naim, Exposure and NVA amps that don't like Litz cable.

Mike
05-06-2008, 18:34
I think it's Naim, Exposure and NVA amps that don't like Litz cable.

Yep, heard that too.

I guess there's only one way to find out. ;)