PDA

View Full Version : New Today 06/01/08

Donald Hanson
01-06-2008, 23:39
:newbie:

Hi Oldbies ! :D

Hmmm, this has a look of familiarity to it. I keep thinking of the color blue though.

Looks like a great forum and in only a few minutes, I feel at home.

Hi, I am Donald. I live in the Seattle Washington and Portland Oregon areas. I love audio, I live 6 months out of the year on my boat (with a really cool 2-year old Siberian Husky), currently on the Columbia River. I like to fish and take a lot of pictures. My first post highschool degree was in commercial photography, then electronics (associates only there), then International banking and finally contract law.

I live the other 6 months in Eastern Washington (sunny Okanogan). I pass the spare moments there by doing electronic projects, well yes, of course audio projects. I am planning one of those cool Hashimoto EL 34 tube amp projects for this winter so I just may be stark raving mad by this time next year.

I will be 60 years old in 3 days and I am fine with that :eyebrows:.

Hope to get acquainted with you all real soon.

D

Marco
01-06-2008, 23:52
Hi Donald,

Welcome to the forum; nice introduction :)

We feel like we know you, too, now :smoking:

Anyway, we look forward to reading all about your views on hi-fi and music in due course!

Marco.

Donald Hanson
01-06-2008, 23:58
Thank you for the warm welcome. I am certain I will have many questions as I try to familiarize myself with this new great looking forum.

BajaGringo
02-06-2008, 07:47
Welcome Donald - we share a love of water. I live on the beach down here in Baja and couldn't imagine letting a day go by without getting my feet wet...

This is a great forum. A lot of nice folks and some very interesting discussions. This dumb Gringo has already learned a few new things since joining AoS.

Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks???

Mike Reed
02-06-2008, 15:24
What an interesting (half) life you have. Would that be 'The Great Columbia River' that Lonnie Donnegan sang about rather a long time ago?

You must surely have an on-board hifi outfit (plus copious provisions....), but what do you do all day? Just fish?

Birthday wishes for your big six-oh (I remember it well....) and welcome to this odd but eclectic forum

Donald Hanson
02-06-2008, 18:29
Well, to the Gringo. I do love getting my feet wet daily and so does my furry roommate. I have seen many of your posts in the AK arena. I have a feeling that I will enjoy the interaction here as it feels less like me vs. them. Can't explain that, but hey.

To M. R. It is an interesting 1/2 life and although I do a fair amount of fishing, I am restoring a 1962 44' Chris Craft wooden cruiser. I just pulled out the Chrysler 383s and installed two Detroit 6v53 diesels, so you can blame me for the recent diesel fuel price hijack.

I am also getting ready to open a seafood wholesale processing facility by the end of June 08. Ima hopin that goes well.

For onboard hifi, I am using a Sansui G-8000 receiver, a pair of Infinity Beta 20 speakers and a Sony Vaio laptop with an external hard drive containing 1000+ cds which I play through Windows MP via the line out on the docking station. A good match for a boat cabin.

Yeah, the six-oh thing bothers my family way more than it bothers me. I can't remember having this much fun. That could be because I actually had that much fun!!!

:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Mike Reed
02-06-2008, 19:45
Very droll, final paragraph!

Mike
02-06-2008, 20:09
MR.. your cat looks really cool (no pun intended) but slightly pissed off!

:)

Beechwoods
02-06-2008, 20:29
Nice first post. I think you're living the life I hope to be able to have in, um, 25 years...

Yours, jealously, etc :steam:

shane
02-06-2008, 20:38
I am restoring a 1962 44' Chris Craft wooden cruiser.

I'd love to see some pictures of that! My boating is done in something a litle more modest...

http://www.thepippin.plus.com/Misc/DSCF0062.JPG

Mike
02-06-2008, 20:45
Wow!.... the boat may be modest, but the location is stunning!

:smoking:

shane
02-06-2008, 20:58
Our local beach. Put 50 18 35 n, 4 03 51 w into Google Earth to locate.

And you're right, it is stunning!

Donald Hanson
02-06-2008, 21:24
I'd love to see some pictures of that! My boating is done in something a litle more modest...

http://www.thepippin.plus.com/Misc/DSCF0062.JPG

I just put a photo of it (from 3 years ago) on umm, errr, hmmm if I can remember the name of the other photo bucket type sight. Well, this is a little embarrassing. I wrote it down and put it someplace. Well, when I find that AND when I learn how to link this thread to it, you all can see it. Kinda a cool boat. Chris Craft only made them for the one year and at that they only made 38 of this model. From those 38, I have researched and can only find mine and two others. Of those, one has been converted to a commercial fisher and the other has beed fiberglassed and is in the Great Lakes area.

IMAGESHACK!! That's it. Now if someone will be kind enough to gimme a quick n dirty tutorial on the link thing, I will be a happy (and forgetful) camper.

Lots of :cool: :cool: :cool: this weekend.

BajaGringo
02-06-2008, 22:37
Well, to the Gringo. I do love getting my feet wet daily and so does my furry roommate. I have seen many of your posts in the AK arena. I have a feeling that I will enjoy the interaction here as it feels less like me vs. them. Can't explain that, but hey.

Want to avoid any kind of pissing match or forum comparisons but you made a great point. AoS has a great feel to it. Don't need to have your guard up or "pay your dues" in time/posts to participate or be valued as a contributor. I enjoy this forum more and more as time goes on. I am still spending time going through the different threads and have found some very interesting and educating topics.

Some very bright folks here - much smarter than this dumb ol' Gringo. By the way, I just turned 52 and it feels like life is just getting started...

;)

Donald Hanson
03-06-2008, 01:12
By the way, I just turned 52 and it feels like life is just getting started...

;)

It is just getting started. Take good care of yourself so you can enjoy those retirement years.

:eyebrows:

Donald Hanson
03-06-2008, 01:43
Here is a pic of the boat. I hope this works. If it does not, I will keep trying. I love new stuff, it feels so great to feel so stupid.

:lolsign: :confused:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7871/attrojan1tu0.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=attrojan1tu0.jpg)

BajaGringo
03-06-2008, 08:47
Nice Boat Don. So what kind of audio gear you have on the boat? I would imagine it might be difficult to spin vinyl...

;)

shane
03-06-2008, 10:55
Now that's what I call a boat!

Mike Reed
03-06-2008, 21:18
MR.. your cat looks really cool (no pun intended) but slightly pissed off!

:)

He'd just been caught in a mini avalanche. Sort of CATastophe, if you like!

I have a stereo pair:- father and son. I call them my monoblacks

Donald Hanson
04-06-2008, 09:19
Nice Boat Don. So what kind of audio gear you have on the boat? I would imagine it might be difficult to spin vinyl...

;)

I made a mahogany rack, bolted it to the bulkhead in the forward cabin and mounted a Sansui G-8000 in the bottom shelf. Using a Sony laptop and Windows Media Player for music storage and a pair of Infinity (something 20s. about 4 years old from Circuit City) for speakers. I also built a 6.5-foot mahogany shelf in the main cabin upon which to mount the speakers. I run speaker wires from the forward cabin to the main and I would like to install a wall-mounted attenuator to operate their volume. All a work in progress right now, but by the end of summer I hope to post some pix of the interior setup.

That G-8000 can make ripples on the water! Glad my neighbors like jazz and good classic rock.

I may be a little nurtz but I am actually thinking of mounting my Sansui AU-20000 there and using the TU-666 for radio. The 666 looks more vintage and totally cool IMO.

I have used a turntable for when I am tied to the dock, but only with moderate success. :confused:

Shane: Cool boat. Is it old? Looks vintage and like it's loads of fun, but for me if it is on the water or deep in the mountains, I don't need much.