PDA

View Full Version : My initial impressions of the F-117 Nighthawk phono stage

kcc123
12-05-2010, 11:10
The F-117 Nighthawk is housed in an brushed aluminium case, about the size of two packets of cigarettes (1”H x 4.5” W x 3.5” D) so it is very light. It is small but incredibly packed with features which can support both MM and MC cartridges.

It has loadings of 30, 50, 100, 500, 1k & 47K, more than adequate in most cases for many serious audiophiles.

It also has gain adjustments from 40db to 75db in six increments, so it will handle the lowest output MC cartridges, with ease. The Denon DL304, Fidelity Research FR 201, Ortofon MC3000 mk2 (0.11 mV), AT 37E (0.1 mV) can be driven to a very loud sound level through a passive preamp without any problem.

It is run by Lithium battery so the back ground noise floor is the lowest that I have ever heard as it is immune from any pollution or interference created by other sources in the same ring circuit. I couldn't detect any hum even when I put my ears close to either of my speakers when the gain switches were set at 75dB for both channels and at full volume, very impressive indeed. The Lithium battery has a play back time of 48 hours, around six days at 8 hours per day from a single charge, according to the manufacturer, though I can only achieve about 40 hours, so far, is still good enough for me. The claim by the manufacture is a bit optimistic, I assume.

The sound is very transparent and fluid but without any thinness, so open, communicative, natural and neutral, with a touch of lushness, an astonishing result even before it is fully run- in. The sound stage is very wide and deep, with pin-point focus, instruments do not get confused in the mix.

Wow! The bass, its best part, is so deep, tight and fast but very tuneful and defined, if slightly dry. It is full of dynamics, punches with impact, so it can kick butt, something I did not really expect from this battery powered little gem.

The only thing that borders me is the extreme treble which is slight less refined than my reference phono stages at the moment, though still very good by any standard. I think I can play with the loadings and gain settings to achieve a better result. In the mean time, I am using an aluminium body Denon 103R (50 ohms), a Technics 205C mk3 (47K ohms), a Stilton Nagaoka MP11 (47K), and an Entre EC-1(100 ohms) for the listening. I will test this terrific baby with some more cartridges when I have more time in the next few weeks.

This phono stage is very enjoyable to listen to, the ability to accommodate both MM and very low gain MC cartridges and with a price tag at US $800 plus postage or may be imports tax and VAT, I cannot think of any other phono stages that will/can match it in either sound quality or flexibility without paying a big ransom. Highly recommended!

http://i44.tinypic.com/s33uoh.jpg

DSJR
12-05-2010, 12:04
Many thanks for sharing. I wish the MM loading options included 39K (for Decca's) and 60 - 70K for other dull MM's. Still, you can't have everything and this one does seem extremely well specified.. So it bloomin' should be for the price (I cannot believe just how cheap decent components are when bought wholesale...) :)

kcc123
12-05-2010, 13:31
Actually, one can specify one's requirement for loadings for MM when ordering it, though one will have to compromise one or two of the MC settings. Please talk to Ray prior to any purchase.