PDA

View Full Version : Croft pre/power latest

Haselsh1
29-04-2010, 08:18
I had the good fortune to be alone yesterday evening so powered up the Hi-Fi and let it warm up for a couple of hours, I waited as the sun set and darkness fell about the place ready for a fantastic music session in near total darkness. This, in my own personal opinion, is just about the best way there is of improving the sound of your Hi-Fi and increasing the overall ambience of your sound.
I started my session with Al Di Meola's 'Orange and Blue' a truly stunning piece of modern jazz with a fabulous recorded ambience helped by the lack of any daylight. I was immediately knocked out by the 'air' and 'space' of the recording displayed so easliy by the amplifier combo.
After this recording I played Dancing Fantasy's 'Dancing Fantasy'. This is a little more like modern electronic chillout jazz with a fabulous cover of Brubeck's 'Take Five'. Again, fantastic 'space' and 'air'. At this point my other half came home and laid on one of the sofa's and listened as well. I decided to remove the Croft Micro 25 Basic preamp from the equation and run the Beresford Caiman straight into the Series 7 power. Big mistake.
Doing this removed all of the warmth and depth from the sound. The overall sound was now very thin and 'digital' and quite unpleasant. In the clear light of this morning, I have now connected back into circuit the preamp were it shall definitely stay.

kininigin
29-04-2010, 10:39
That is exactly how i thought the beresford sounded after i removed the basic 25(im waiting for a micro 25 hopefully it comes today).

Before i had the basic 25 and had the beresford driving my active speakers i was perfectly happy with it.

I have had the basic sat in a box for nearly 2 weeks while i wait for the micro and at first i found it difficult to listen to the beresford but over time i guess i have got used to it again and it doesn't sound as bad as it did the first few days back in my system.

Strange how the mind and ears work.

Haselsh1
29-04-2010, 12:29
I'm going to add that, the Croft pre/power combination is the most transparent sounding amplifier I have ever heard for a grand in thirty three years of being involved with Hi-Fi. The World Audio Design 300B push pull power amp with KLP1 pre amp that I used to own had a better sense of 'space' and 'air' to it but was nowhere near as transparent as the Crofts. Neither did the 300B have the guts and grunt of the Crofts. I have found that my present pre/power amps are an excellent match for my many choices of music suiting my electronica as well as my solo Bach Cello stuff.
I do honestly believe that the present Croft amplifiers are class leaders and that is not simply based on the fact that I own two of them. I am only guided by my ears and my pocket. OK the present range of Chinese valve amplifiers look amazing, their designs being World class, but who wants to pay out £200 for an amplifier and £699 for the postage when it will not work on UK mains...? The Croft's look rough in comparison but they sound stunning.

Themis
29-04-2010, 14:19
I do honestly believe that the present Croft amplifiers are class leaders and that is not simply based on the fact that I own two of them. I am only guided by my ears and my pocket.
That's exactly that. ;)

It's bloody hard to find a pre of the caliber of the 25pre at the £1500 range, let alone the sub-£1000 one...
And the Power possesses the "immediateness" and grip of speakers that is very hard to find somewhere else, regardless of the price.

These amplifiers lack mainly two things : source indulgence and high price. :cool:

PS: Shaun, your enthusiasm about the music you listen to, is such a pleasure to read ! :)

Haselsh1
29-04-2010, 14:36
PS: Shaun, your enthusiasm about the music you listen to, is such a pleasure to read ! :)

Many thanks for that complement.

For me personally it's a though the Hi-Fi is the pallette with the music being the paint.

I love and adore music, I do not necessarily love and adore Hi-Fi.

kininigin
29-04-2010, 15:00
I'll second that

quadsugdenman
29-04-2010, 15:11
You are so right!!;)
I also removed my updated and modified Croft Super Micro A and tried using the Caiman as a pre-amp directly into my Croft Series 7. Immediately the depth of sound front to back disappeared and the sound lacked realism. I also must apologise, but I have yet to encounter any amplifiers sub £1000 that can match the Crofts for the sheer Music/Money enjoyment ratio.
Saxaphones have vibrating hard/soft reeds, cymbals vibrate, double bass have strings that are plucked or bowed, Piano notes decay naturally. Each instrument is individually identified but yet joined together in a transparent soundstage.
Nope, I wont be fiddling again!
Garry:violin:

DSJR
29-04-2010, 15:23
I'm still using the AVI until I get the CD sockets sorted (my replacements, not Glenn's originals) on the Croft and it does have an un-exaggerated 3d soundstage. It's one of the very few ss preamps that does and getting something "better" is more to do with better ergonomics and casework engineering/facilities I think.

One could suggest that the Micro 25 is adding something, but I think it's more to do with the Micro being able to drive longer interconnects better than the Caiman on its own.. Stan may correct me here though ;)

Haselsh1
29-04-2010, 17:42
I'm still using the AVI until I get the CD sockets sorted (my replacements, not Glenn's originals) on the Croft and it does have an un-exaggerated 3d soundstage. It's one of the very few ss preamps that does and getting something "better" is more to do with better ergonomics and casework engineering/facilities I think.

One could suggest that the Micro 25 is adding something, but I think it's more to do with the Micro being able to drive longer interconnects better than the Caiman on its own.. Stan may correct me here though ;)

I think that the Micro 25 Basic is very definitely adding something here. It's adding a rather gorgeous, mellifluous warmth and depth, a kind of character that without the preamp, is missing from my music. I read your comments as though the preamp was solid state...? It definitely isn't. Mine uses three ECC83's by JJ with no transistors anywhere in sight. The power amp though is definitely a hybrid using one ECC83 and a brace of MOSFET's.

Apologies before posting my response; it's your AVI that's SS.

DSJR
29-04-2010, 19:01
My AVI is solid state, my Croft isn't and of couse, neither's yours..... :)

aquapiranha
29-04-2010, 20:41
Shaun, I too prefer listening in semi darkness. Not because I do not have to look at my ugly homemade speakers, but because that way I can image the band spread out before me as if they are laying on a special concert just for me! Of course, it helps that the OB's have superb imaging among their many strengths.

Alex_UK
29-04-2010, 23:41
I played Dancing Fantasy's 'Dancing Fantasy'. This is a little more like modern electronic chillout jazz with a fabulous cover of Brubeck's 'Take Five'.

It had better be good, I've just paid £1.39 for a 2nd hand copy! One of my all time favourite "in the dark" tracks is Ghost - Japan - awesome.

Haselsh1
25-06-2010, 19:10
I honestly find that winter is the time for fully appreciating the sound of your system and its stereo effect at its best. I'm not sure why this is but the acoustic and atmosphere is just so good when it's dark at around six in the evening and you have the whole time to listen. I guess it could be the lack of visual distractions that shift one's attention away from the sound. I'm really not sure. I do know though that this is the best time for me throughout the year as in the summer months I am more into my photography.

DSJR
25-06-2010, 19:40
One of my all time favourite "in the dark" tracks is Ghost - Japan - awesome.

"Just when I think I'm winning, when I've broken every door
The ghosts of my life blow wilder than before.."

How true, and this guy was rather young when he penned and recorded it.

Haselsh1
25-06-2010, 20:29
I love the version of 'Brilliant Trees' that Claire Martin does on her album 'Take My Heart'. The E-Bow guitar work is quite stunning. It's on the Linn label... don't let that put you off...!

Spectral Morn
25-06-2010, 21:01
I love the version of 'Brilliant Trees' that Claire Martin does on her album 'Take My Heart'. The E-Bow guitar work is quite stunning. It's on the Linn label... don't let that put you off...!

Just realised I have that on SACD and have not listened to it yet, Brilliant Trees is an amazing track.

As an aside Mick Karn is seriously ill with cancer and struggling. There is a thread over on Pink fish about him in the music section. Love his style of bass playing.

Regards D S D L

Haselsh1
26-06-2010, 08:22
Oh Davros that is seriously bad news about Mick Karn. I didn't know this was happening. It's true, you know you're getting on a bit when everyone you know starts dying. My partner Janet had a cancer scare in 2008/2009 but after chemo and radiotherapy has come out on the right side. I guess it's a case of so far so good.

I love the Claire Martin album 'Take My Heart' as it is an excellent rendition of modern popular songs done in a jazz style. I'm not overly keen on her jazz standards though. I tend to think that others do a better job. I love all of the old Coltrane stuff and the Hank Mobley stuff that I have on vinyl with one of my alltime favourites being 'The Sidewinder' album on Blue Note vinyl. We are just so damn lucky...!!!