PDA

View Full Version : Dynaco Diversions

Jay
28-05-2008, 22:45
Hi Everyone, being the "new guy" I thought I might start a thread about a couple of Dynaco projects that I have on my bench. One is built around Dynaco ST 35 iron that I had the end bells chromed on. It uses the DIY Tube board which I modified to use a 10v filament TX which allows the use of the cheaper 10BQ5 tube. The use of that tube verses the more popular 6BQ5 allows me to run NOS RCA and Westinghouse varieties for about 5 dollars each. It all sits inside (and on) a red oak chassis with mahogany corner inlay bracing. The other is a PAS 2 which is undergoing major power supply modifications, deletion of tone controls, and addition of a seperate regulated DC filament supply, ALPs selector switch, and gold plated RCA connectors. Power supply mods include a much stouter sheilded TX with higher voltage output to allow for choke input filter, heavier 6CA4 rectifier, and larger uf values on the filter caps. I'm trying to source a good quality remote controlled volume pot, but haven't had any luck. Maybe someone here knows of one? Ideas and suggestions are always welcome, as is anyone stopping me before I blow something up.;)Again, Thanks for having me. I've been reading threads here for a few days now with great interest. Seems like a great group of folks, Jay

Filterlab
31-05-2008, 11:20
That's some nice work Jay.

Regarding remote volume pots, Hi-Fi Collective (http://www.hificollective.co.uk/) have a vast range of components, if they don't have a remote pot they may know where to source one. These guys have their ears pretty close to the ground. :)

Ali Tait
31-05-2008, 13:45
Hi Jay,
As you seem to be a bit of a DIY warrior,you may find much of interest on the World-Designs forum.It's a friendly place and full of DIY'ers.Try Audio-Talk too,for the same reasons!
You can find them in the links section on this site.

Regards,Ali.

The Grand Wazoo
31-05-2008, 13:49
I'm trying to source a good quality remote controlled volume pot, but haven't had any luck. Maybe someone here knows of one? Ideas and suggestions are always welcome, as is anyone stopping me before I blow something up.;)

Why not have a look at Bent Audio's website. John Chapman is a true gent and a pleasure to deal with - something I don't say lightly.

Here's a link to the Stepped Attenuator Remote Control Kit he supplies.

http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

Good luck!!

Jay
01-06-2008, 02:59
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone. Looks like I have some research to do.:)