PDA

View Full Version : Noob question: using the Caiman as a preamp

Getgaff
26-04-2010, 16:53
I currently use the Caiman's fixed level ouput into the CD input of my MF A3.5 integrated amp. The MF's HT Direct input is being used in conjunction with my AVR.

Would I gain anything by using the Caiman's variable level output, i.e. use the Caiman as a preamp. If so, where should I set the MF volume?

Thanks.

Stratmangler
26-04-2010, 17:00
I'd say try it in the HT input, as that should be unity gain.

Whichever of the other inputs you use you'll see the preamp of the MF, so I can't really see any benefit to using the variable outs on the Caiman.
You could try both and decide which works best;)

chrism
26-04-2010, 18:31
Well worth trying the Caiman as a preamp via it's variable outputs if you can bypass the one in the MF. I tried it and never went back to a separate pre.

Regards

StanleyB
27-04-2010, 05:38
Going from Caiman to power amp will give you a lot more signal quality than going from Caiman to preamp, irrespective of how much your preamp cost new.

Stratmangler
27-04-2010, 09:52
Going from Caiman to power amp will give you a lot more signal quality than going from Caiman to preamp, irrespective of how much your preamp cost new.

The OP does not have this option with this amplifier http://www.musicalfidelity.com/downloads/archived-manuals/English/a35int_eng.pdf

chrism
27-04-2010, 10:37
The OP does not have this option with this amplifier http://www.musicalfidelity.com/downloads/archived-manuals/English/a35int_eng.pdf

That's a shame. Looks like a new power amp to go with the Caiman then! :)

Regards

Chris

Stratmangler
27-04-2010, 10:40
That's a shame. Looks like a new power amp to go with the Caiman then! :)

Regards

Chris

;)

Getgaff
27-04-2010, 16:24
I had suspected as much :( .

Thanks for the input guys.

Stratmangler
27-04-2010, 17:30
HOLD ON!

The HT direct input bypasses the pre-amp section altogether. Connect your Caiman's variable output there.

CD

It was mentioned in my first post on this thread;)

Codifus
27-04-2010, 17:31
It was mentioned in my first post on this thread;)

I just saw that and deleted my post...apparently after you replied to it:)

CD

Stratmangler
27-04-2010, 17:49
I just saw that and deleted my post...apparently after you replied to it:)

CD

Aww!!!!
Now it looks like I talk to myself.:(

:lolsign:

Getgaff
27-04-2010, 18:01
Unfortunately the HT Direct input is hooked up to my AV amp allowing me to use the MF to drive the front speakers :doh: . Damn...

chrism
27-04-2010, 19:22
Unfortunately the HT Direct input is hooked up to my AV amp allowing me to use the MF to drive the front speakers :doh: . Damn...

That's a shame. Looks like a new power amp to go with the Caiman then! :):)

Regards

Chris

Stratmangler
27-04-2010, 19:28
That's a shame. Looks like a new power amp to go with the Caiman then! :):)

Regards

Chris

Aye, but what about the front speakers ?

Codifus
27-04-2010, 20:38
Aww!!!!
Now it looks like I talk to myself.:(

:lolsign:

You are just too fast, my friend. maybe I should delete my other posts and make you look like you belong in the looney bin:ner:

CD

Codifus
27-04-2010, 20:40

Is your system a multi-channel setup or stereo? With your stereo music fidelity amp connecting to your multi-channel AVR (I assume), it's a bit confusing.

CD

Getgaff
28-04-2010, 17:11
Is your system a multi-channel setup or stereo? With your stereo music fidelity amp connecting to your multi-channel AVR (I assume)...
For my multi-channel 5.1 system:
AVR drives the centre and rear surround speakers and sends LFE to the sub.
AVR connects to the MF HT Direct input & the MF drives the front speakers.

For my stereo system:
Squeezebox Touch > Caiman > fixed level outputs > MF CD input > front speakers.

The only options I can think of in order to use the Caiman as a preamp is,

a). MF A5CR power amp (for example) which has two selectable inputs; or,
b). Dedicated stereo system speakers driven by the MF.

Neither option is cheap nor WAF-friendly.

Stratmangler
28-04-2010, 18:45
You are just too fast, my friend. maybe I should delete my other posts and make you look like you belong in the looney bin:ner:

CD

Maybe I do belong on the inside, it's just that nobody's realised it yet:eyebrows:

Getgaff
02-05-2010, 08:09
Would an audio selector/switch provide me with a solution (e.g. 2 inputs, one ouput), or should these be avoided?

Stratmangler
02-05-2010, 09:21
Have you tried the Caiman through the HT input yet ?

A switch box might be the solution, although it might equally degrade sound quality.
It might still sound better than using the pre section of your amp.

Point I'm making is experiment, use your ears, and try and find solutions to problems.

If you've not tried the Caiman into the HT input you are putting the cart before the horse.

Getgaff
02-05-2010, 16:05
Sensible comments, thanks.

I've had the opportunity to listen to the Caiman through the HT input this afternoon and would say it just, just has the edge over the CD input. A tad warmer and smoother, but the difference is 'lost' with prolonged listening, that is to say I quickly get used to the sound of one input over the other.

Because the difference is so subtle that I won't be rushing to purchase a power amp, nor a selector/switcher box for fear of losing SQ.

There's no doubt there is a small improvement to be gained, but the solution is either expensive (more equipment) or risky (potential loss of SQ).

chrism
02-05-2010, 20:23
You need to let the Caiman be powered up for a day of so before judging any potential improvement.

Stay clear of switches if you can.

You appear to have now answered your original question and found the best way forward - great.

Regards

Codifus
03-05-2010, 03:35
Does your power amp have clip indicators? Luckily for me, my EP2000 has clip indiciators that I used to set the gain properly. When I had set the gain by ear, I settled on 11 to 12 oclock on the EP2000's dial. After some listening I found that setting to be very very powerful but also a bit wanting as I felt that there was a bit of dynamics missing. After some research on the web I devised a more accurate method of setting the gains properly. 1st, I used CoolEdit2K, a digital audio program, to record a 1 Khz sine wave at 0db for 10 minutes.

Word of caution: set the gains with your speakers dis-connected. This constant signal at full amplitude will stress your crossover and/or mid-range or tweeter significantly.

While playing that sound and leaving my 7520's variable volume control at maximum, I set the gains on my ep2000 to the point that the clipping indicators started faintly flickering. That was at 9 oclock!!

I left it there and listened to some music. Now, after about 150 hours of listening I can safely say that my system sounds better than it ever did. I casually put 1 or 2 tracks on to listen to and usually wind up listening for hours. Dynamics are the strongest that I ever felt. I am quite deeply satisfied with my system now.

CD

Stratmangler
05-05-2010, 13:14
Getgaff

This could be a possble solution to your problems http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=121189&postcount=1

Getgaff
06-05-2010, 07:13
:)

Just the ticket methinks. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edit: hmmm, not so sure now. Will contact Stan for advice.