PDA

View Full Version : Sl1210 going blue - a question and a protest

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 19:21
Firstly, my protest - I'm about as comfortable mentioning this on the open forum as I would be rubbing salt in my eyeballs, but this is the first post I have made since daves recent banishment ... Now aside from the arguments that I have made minor efforts (as much as I felt comfortable) to help with, I am both a punter of this site and a punter of daves. For the last year I have been most happy in the knowledge that I can come here and get ameture and profesional (dave) comments on my tt questions... And I am by no means the only one. Dave runs a business his way and the forum is run one way, now perhaps these to things are not always mutrally comatible ... But you both offer each other something and more importantly in combination you both offer your punters collectivly a lot more! So sort it out guys, for me and all the other techie users on here! I can tell you what's more important to me, and that's daves presence here, certainly more than some arguments about how he runs his business! Sorry all I just feel I have to say it! Please please don't piss and moan at me about this... It just my view, dave is an integral part of this site as far as I'm concerned and I'd like it to stay that way... Protest over...

Also if possible can this thread be more about the following and not about the former... Let's leave my protest as a stand alone comment and get on with the rest of my post, yeah... Please?

Secondly, and on a lighter note

look at this

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/2406e5ab.jpg

cool or what...

Thirdly, I noticed martins tt was lacking in the pcb on the left under the hood... Can I remove that bit when adding my blue top plate without disabling the strobe... I like my strobe now is uv purple..

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/9f5e3eb3.jpg

Joe
15-04-2010, 19:27
Firstly, my protest - I'm about as comfortable mentioning this on the open forum as I would be rubbing salt in my eyeballs, but this is the first post I have made since daves recent banishment ...

I didn't know he was banished! How and when did this happen?

Marco
15-04-2010, 19:46
Hi Joe,

You must've missed this bit:

Also if possible can this thread be more about the following and not about the former... Let's leave my protest as a stand alone comment and get on with the rest of my post, yeah... Please?

;)

Hamish,

Lol - where are the go-faster stripes and furry dice? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Joe
15-04-2010, 19:49
I just asked a simple question. Has Dave C been banished, and if so, why? Don't act like a politician, dodging the issue.

Marco
15-04-2010, 20:04
Don't get stroppy, Joe - I'm afraid it's none of your business, as the situation hasn't been resolved yet. When it has, everyone including you will know. We've had a disagreement about something, that's all. I suggest that in the meantime you respect the wishes of the OP, please.

I'm afraid that any more comments on this matter will be removed without further warning. I do hope I make myself clear, and that means everyone.

Now back to the SL-1210.......

Marco.

Ammonite Audio
15-04-2010, 20:12
Thirdly, I noticed martins tt was lacking in the pcb on the left under the hood... Can I remove that bit when adding my blue top plate without disabling the strobe... I like my strobe now is uv purple..

Yes, you can - it won't affect the strobe, which is driven from the main PCB. When snipping the various wires, make sure to leave a couple of mm of each coloured wire behind - that way it's easy to see where everything goes if, for some reason, you want to put it back how it was.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 20:41
Out of interest shuggie, what's at the end of the wires that leave that part of the pcb an go off into the case... Just for referance before I attack the job...

This is why I bought a techie.. I have no idea what I'm doing but I can come on here and get advice... I don't want to push my luck with this ... But it's why it's so important that you guys put your row behind you and get dave back on here... To be honest I don't really care who's right or wrong... Many people could miss out without his presence!
Marco, steve, others... I'm sure you know how difficult (re. Dave k) this is for me to be openly controversial on a forum... It's really not my bag, but for all your percieved problems with dave, there are so many plus points of him being here... And in reality, he is actually a good guy, with honest motives ... Whether you belive it or not, that is my profound experience of the man, and I know, absolutly, without doubt I am not the only one!

An that is the last I will say on the matter in the open forum...

Ammonite Audio
15-04-2010, 21:03
Out of interest shuggie, what's at the end of the wires that leave that part of the pcb an go off into the case... Just for referance before I attack the job...

Are you talking about the two thick blue wires and one brown one? If you look carefully at the legend printed on the small PCB, you'll see "SW" for each. That means they go to the rotary mains switch - that's all. So, with a Timestep PSU fitted, these wires are completely redundant, since they previously carried 240v mains.

Marco
15-04-2010, 21:04
Yes, please leave it there for now Hamish, or I will have no choice but to remove any further remarks. Your sentiments are noted :)

Now back to the SL-1210, please!

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 21:33
Sorrry marco, I've said my bit, got it off my chest etc
my fingers are crossed for mutural peace!

Go faster stripes... Don't take the piss, I ain't a chav mate ;)

if I get the new platter dave joked he could get it blue anodised for me ... ... Although I'm now thinking of changing the purple LEDs for yellow and going for a gold anodised platter to match my oc9 ... A-may-zin? ... Yes I think so!!

Marco
15-04-2010, 21:41
What about more lights somewhere else, like on the plinth - it needs to light up more in the dark, man! :eek:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 21:44
Thinking about it mate, thinking about it ... ;)

colinB
15-04-2010, 21:58
Sarkowsky crystals like the Harrods deck in my avatar!

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 22:10
nah thats just chavy :lolsign:

Barry
15-04-2010, 22:12
nah thats just chavy :lolsign:

Bring on the Bling!

Regards

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 22:36
Are you talking about the two thick blue wires and one brown one? If you look carefully at the legend printed on the small PCB, you'll see "SW" for each. That means they go to the rotary mains switch - that's all. So, with a Timestep PSU fitted, these wires are completely redundant, since they previously carried 240v mains.

successfully removed... thank you ta!

ooo i do like this techie messing!

The Grand Wazoo
15-04-2010, 22:50
So what colour vinyl will go best with the blue then Hamish?

I've got a nice copy of Cheap Trick in Budokan in what the sticker on the sleeve calls 'Kamikaze Yellow'

......or what about a Rolling Stones 12" of 'Miss You' in a nice bright 'Barbie' pink.

http://im2.ebidst.com/upload_big/3/0/1/1267063277-7291-0.jpghttp://eil.com/Gallery/32694b.jpg

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 22:58
i have a translucent yellow/green day glow copy of a t-rex album :)

Barry
15-04-2010, 23:00

I would keep quiet about that if I were you! :sofa:

Regards

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 23:12
lol... i found it in a box at the shop... it was with an original pressing of 'wish you were here' which made up for it... there was also a hadaway album and a whigfield single... it was the old shop demo disk collection... i liberated them

The Grand Wazoo
15-04-2010, 23:12

That's the one!
The first photo of your newly assembled Blue TT should have that disc spinning on it.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 23:14
your wish.......

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 23:24
Eh ar

before piccy -

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/dd13d383.jpg

Stratmangler
15-04-2010, 23:29
That's more like a pus green !:eek:

colinB
15-04-2010, 23:29
Very tasty. If that Mike New platter is going to be all silver it would set it of nicely.

The Grand Wazoo
15-04-2010, 23:30
Larvurlee!
But the TT's not blue.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 23:38
Yes, that's why it's the 'before' piccy... I'm changing the top bit tomo or sat morning when I have a mate comeing round to build a tt for him out of spare bits I have and have bought for him

The Vinyl Adventure
15-04-2010, 23:40
That's more like a pus green !:eek:

Yup, it's pretty mingy... It's Actually a jeepster/get it on single... It actually sounds fairly decent

The Grand Wazoo
15-04-2010, 23:42
12" singles usually do sound better

MartinT
15-04-2010, 23:47
Good luck with the top plate swap, Hamish. Your photos make the LEDs look blue-purple but in real life they are very purple indeed. I've never seen LEDs that colour before!

The Vinyl Adventure
16-04-2010, 09:48
They are suposed to be uv martin, i think they cover the part of the light spectrum that goes from visible through to non visible which gives it that effect that you can't quite focus on it...
Dave has orderd some for his deck now :)

MartinT
16-04-2010, 09:52
I'll pass, thanks :)
How's the Jelco sounding with the OC9?

The Vinyl Adventure
16-04-2010, 10:26
So far so could, sounds a bit mad when you turn the volume up a bit but the fact that the cart is box fresh and I'm using it with a basic pre, it doesn't worry me. New pre coming today :) Hugo's mike new coming tomo :)
the one thing I have noticed is that it's a lot less sybilant that with the new arm... V happy!

MartinT
16-04-2010, 10:39
Good stuff. You'll be amazed at how much better it sounds after you install the Mike New bearing. Make sure you follow the instructions and trim the motor PCB legs so that nothing shorts out when you fit it all together.

The Vinyl Adventure
16-04-2010, 10:46
Hugo said he would dig out the structions for me, if not I guess dave would send me some...

Ammonite Audio
16-04-2010, 11:44
Hugo said he would dig out the structions for me, if not I guess dave would send me some...

The instructions are with it. I forgot to include the wire cutters that Dave provided, but you may have a set to hand. The wire trimming is clearly shown in the instructions, so nothing to panic about!

The Vinyl Adventure
16-04-2010, 12:18
All good buddy, I got some wire cutters ... Cheers for the deal buddy!

Citation16
23-04-2010, 00:48
I installed the Mike New bearing & then looked at the instructions...

Luky so far nothing has shorted. Will read instructions next time.

The bearing really transforms the Tecknics into superior sound with different attributes relating to the rest of the TT setup.

MartinT
23-04-2010, 06:12
I installed the Mike New bearing & then looked at the instructions...

You are *very* lucky that you didn't brick your Techie :)

The Vinyl Adventure
23-04-2010, 08:49
Martins right, I missed a one of the things on the instructions and I'm have all sorts of intermittent problems ... I might even need to replace the motor pcb ...
The frustrating thing is that I can take it apart and rebuild it and fix one problem then another one happens, then I get it working perfectly then do a simple mod like the strobe switch mod and then it all goes mad again - ive had fluttering speed issues, the platter spinning out of control ... All sorts ... Martin,Can I ask a small favour, will you take the platter off yours and take a photo for comparison for me so I can see if I have everything as you have it ...

MartinT
23-04-2010, 09:14
Will do tonight, Hamish!

The Vinyl Adventure
23-04-2010, 09:19
Cheers buddy

Primalsea
23-04-2010, 18:22
What Dave C has been banned!

:sofa:

lol.

Just kidding!

Hamish, on another post it looked like you were doing the work to your Techie with an old screwdriver and a cheap multi-tool/penknife thingy! God sake man buy yourself some tools even if its a cheap tool set from Argos. Half of the art is using the right tools and taking your time. If you rush in desperation to hear it you'll miss something and balls it all up.

I know !!

MartinT
23-04-2010, 19:36
Here you go Hamish:

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/SL-1210 Inside.jpg

The Vinyl Adventure
23-04-2010, 20:55
Hmm.. Yup same as mine... There was some specualtion as to where the negative mains cable is suposed to be atached but mine is as yours and dave says it makes no odds anyway.. It would seem I have damaged an ic or warped my motor some how.. Darn!
Ah well i have it working properly to speed, just have issue with the starting and stopping... Gonna play around a bit more and see if I can diagnose the fault, but it looks like long term I'm gonna nee another repair job :(

The Vinyl Adventure
23-04-2010, 20:56
What Dave C has been banned!

:sofa:

lol.

Just kidding!

Hamish, on another post it looked like you were doing the work to your Techie with an old screwdriver and a cheap multi-tool/penknife thingy! God sake man buy yourself some tools even if its a cheap tool set from Argos. Half of the art is using the right tools and taking your time. If you rush in desperation to hear it you'll miss something and balls it all up.

I know !!

I know I know... I'm a pleb!