PDA

View Full Version : Isolating digital equipment etc (Mains Power).

HighFidelityGuy
12-04-2010, 12:06
I've seen a couple of people mention that isolating digital equipment like CD players, DAC's etc from analogue equipment like valve amps etc can yield some sonic benefits.

I was wondering what the criteria were for this. Is it just equipment that has switched mode PSU's that should be isolated or should digital equipment running of linear PSU's also be isolated? Also, are there other things in addition to these that should be taken into account? I'm just trying to get an idea of the full picture.

Cheers. :)

DSJR
12-04-2010, 12:37
There was a tendancy for multi-bit CD players (the infamous TDA1541 era) to spray all sorts from their outputs. It could be ultra-sonic Naim/Quad filter-killing mush (the Quad 66 was actually quite a good player, just not into a Quad amp that's all... It could also be rf down the signal screens affecting things in certain amps.

Any mains filter worth its salt needs to be rated 10 times higher than the source component it's used with (Ben Duncan suggested this in HFN and I confirmed it with listening to a few). It certainly worked for me and I have a small number of Roxburgh 6A filters (Chord Clearways at 1/4 the price) in use still on the source components, although they make beggar all difference here.

These days, there shouldn't be a huge problem, apart from SA-CD players with loads of signal noise at 20 - 40KHz as part of their "thang," and people like Naim have improved their tone controls - sorry, filters - as well..

HighFidelityGuy
12-04-2010, 12:56
Thanks Dave. Are THESE (http://uk.farnell.com/roxburgh/pmf6/filter-in-line-6a/dp/1101097?Ntt=RoxburghIN-LINE) the Roxburgh filters you have?

Cheers.

DSJR
12-04-2010, 13:27
Thanks Dave. Are THESE (http://uk.farnell.com/roxburgh/pmf6/filter-in-line-6a/dp/1101097?Ntt=RoxburghIN-LINE) the Roxburgh filters you have?

Cheers.

Yep, they're the ones I use, one per item, the Chord version putting a 13A rubber socket where the IEC is on the Roxburgh.. two of these transformed a Karik III/Numerik III IMO, the clarity, 3-D, ease and "tunefulness" improving a lot I thought.

HighFidelityGuy
12-04-2010, 19:56
Yep, they're the ones I use, one per item, the Chord version putting a 13A rubber socket where the IEC is on the Roxburgh.. two of these transformed a Karik III/Numerik III IMO, the clarity, 3-D, ease and "tunefulness" improving a lot I thought.

Thanks.
So what type of devices should you use these types of filters with and do they affect dynamics if used with power amps?

The Vinyl Adventure
12-04-2010, 20:30
Where's Anthonytd when you need him... He has some pretty clever things to say in this area!

HighFidelityGuy
12-04-2010, 20:53
Where's Anthonytd when you need him... He has some pretty clever things to say in this area!

Ah yes, I've heard he has some new mains related products. I'd certainly be interested in finding out more about them if they can help in this area. I'll send him a PM to see if he can provide some input.

anthonyTD
13-04-2010, 08:37
hi all,
mains filters are becoming more and more a nescesity rather than a luxury these day, unfortunetly as some of you have experienced they do compromise dynamics and perceived soundstage in some systems depending on the type of filter and where in the chain they are used!
i have used a design in my system for around 5 years now and am very happy with its results over-all.
what you have to understand is all mains filters wether they be passive [the type i use] or regenerative will have their benefits and drawbacks [dont let anyone tell you diffrent] what i have strived for is the best compromise which is passive but using the right type and value of components in an effort to just to remove the problems without going over-board resulting in a described "sat on sound" by many who have tried certain types in the past.
also, once you have a clean free from spikes and high frequency hash mains supply you have to make sure that any part of your kit is not going to spoil that by crapping noise of its own all over it again! :doh:CD players and anything with a DAC in it are prime examples.
i hope this helps.
A...

HighFidelityGuy
13-04-2010, 09:27
Thanks Anthony, your input on this is much appreciated. :)

So do your filters work in both directions, stopping interference getting to the connected device and also stopping interference generated in the device from seeping back into the mains?

Thanks. :)

anthonyTD
13-04-2010, 09:50
Thanks Anthony, your input on this is much appreciated. :)

So do your filters work in both directions, stopping interference getting to the connected device and also stopping interference generated in the device from seeping back into the mains?

Thanks. :)
hi dave,
the new versions i have done are two stage and have multiple outlets which seperate [as far as noise is concerned] each piece of kit pluged in to it. also it being a two stage hence using a primary filter that is common to all, it is very affective at stopping noise being injected back into the mains supply.
A...

HighFidelityGuy
13-04-2010, 09:59
Thanks. So just to make sure I understand correctly;
Your filter has multiple sockets and they prevent interference from getting from the mains to the connected device, from the connected device to the mains and also between connected devices?

HighFidelityGuy
13-04-2010, 09:59
Your filter has multiple sockets and they prevent interference from getting from the mains to the connected device, from the connected device to the mains and also between connected devices?

anthonyTD
13-04-2010, 10:19

correct!:)
A...

HighFidelityGuy
13-04-2010, 10:32
Awesome, thanks. They sound like fantastic bits of kit and just what I'm after.
I'll send you a PM in a bit to discuss this further and get some prices.

HighFidelityGuy
13-04-2010, 10:33
Awesome, thanks. They sound like fantastic bits of kit and just what I'm after.
I'll send you a PM in a bit to discuss this further and get some prices.

HighFidelityGuy
13-04-2010, 10:55
Dammit, what's wrong with the forum lately? It's running like a dead dog and causing double posts as the browser tries to re-submit the data. :steam:

anthonyTD
13-04-2010, 11:14
Dammit, what's wrong with the forum lately? It's running like a dead dog and causing double posts as the browser tries to re-submit the data. :steam:
hi dave,
ok, no worries, i know what you mean about the forum thing, its driving us all mad, but the admin are on it, so hopefully things will get sorted soon.
A...

HighFidelityGuy
13-04-2010, 13:41
hi dave,
ok, no worries, i know what you mean about the forum thing, its driving us all mad, but the admin are on it, so hopefully things will get sorted soon.
A...

I'm glad it's not just me that's experiencing issues. Ah well, hopefully the admins will have it fixed soon. I'm guessing it just needs turning off and on again. :lol:

anthonyTD
13-04-2010, 13:58
:eek::lolsign:
A...

monya
13-04-2010, 18:43
Seems that the siting of the filter is important. I have a Vertex Jaya that used to be plugged into the adjacent wall socket feeding the distribution block. When upgrading the mains leads the filter had to be moved to a spare socket on the block as it sounde crap in its previous location. Weird!

hifinutt
03-06-2010, 18:48
i recently had a vertex silver jeya in the adjacent socket to my sigmas but it made no improvement at all .

i absolutely love my sigmas which is converted to gold schuko connections and sounds superb , using coherant 4d instead of the stock inbound cable made quite an improvemt and i am now using valhala mains inbound and outbound to see if any different