PDA

View Full Version : New speakers coming, which speaker cables ?

Peter Stockwell
30-03-2010, 08:18
I feel in love at first hearing with some speakers that are made by a company in Berlin, Germany, called Audium.

These are the Comp 5's that I ordered: (http://en.audium.com/produktmatrix.php)

These are smallish floor standers (I always said cheap floorstanders are a waste of space :rolleyes:), that are relatively in expensive (2000€) that are unusual for being (mostly) full range.

i.e. a single driver covers from about 200Hz to 20kHz, although I expect that the 3dB point is probably lower, given it's 3 inch driver. There's some massaging done in the crossover to keep the response up in the treble. ANyhow, since I can't hear thatmuch over 10kHz I don't think it's goingto be a worry.

They have an integrated "subwoofer" to cover below 200Hz.

They are very clear, precise and "out of the box".

They are biwirable. There lies my question.

Currently using NACA5 with F connectors adapted to my current speakers, The space between the terminals is much larger than the B&W's.

So ?

get some jumpers and stick with NACA5.

get some jumpers and get some Black Mamba ?

Wait for Mark Grant to make some speaker cables ?

get some "biwire" cable set like oehlbach or Ecosse ?

What's out there these days ?

Thanks for thoughts.

Marco
30-03-2010, 09:02
Hi Peter,

Ça va? :)

Those look like nice speakers - a most interesting design! Regarding cables, I'd go for the Mambas, as I think they'd tick all the right boxes (knowing how you like music reproduced) and Dave sells them at a bargain price :cool:

I also know people who've had good results with this OFC stuff from Canford (ones with 4.0mm² conductors):

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/20402/33-279_OFC-4-CABLE-2-core

More info: http://www.canford.co.uk/ProductResources/ig/2183.pdf

It's no-nonsense professional stuff, sensibly proced, (like Belden, only not of the same construction).

Incidentally, what are you doing with your Techy these days? You rarely mention it, and seem to have 'fallen behind' somewhat in the modification stakes, with many of us having now fitted new bearings, etc, and with the new platter and PSU coming out soon....

Have you given up on it? :cool:

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
30-03-2010, 09:25
Hi Marco,

Haven't given up on the teccy as such, just don't wish to put more money into it, given that vinyl is a third source for me, and most of my LPs are old, and correspond to a time when I had different tastes. although the jazz recordings I have get played from time to time.

The price on those Mambas is interesting, looks as if they are available on ebay too ?

I'll look into the canford stuff too, thanks for the tip.

cheers

Marco
30-03-2010, 09:37
Hi Peter,

No worries re the Techy. I just wondered where you were 'at' with it these days, as you hadn't mentioned it for ages! :)

The Mambas are safe bet, of course, (although VERY heavy and infexible) but I'd be tempted to take a punt on the Canford stuff, as I reckon it might be quite good.

Btw, I'm not a fan of biwiring, so I'd make up some jumpers from decent quality copper cable (perhaps order an extra metre of the Canford stuff for that purpose and fit some spades to the ends and connect those between the speaker terminals?), as IMO this will produce far better results.

Marco.

pwood
30-03-2010, 10:04
Black Mamba cable is something you want to try really it is one of the best bargains out there. I moved to BM's from Ecosse ES 4.5 dedicated biwire cable. With my setup the difference was not subtle and for the better regards coherance and image depth. I used Linn K400 as well and the Sterling Black mamba cable easily out performed that.

I have never tried Naim cable and would suggest you continue use that for a few months so you get a feel for the sound with your new speakers then try new cables (Black mambas;).

BTW has anyone got any idea what 2.5m of Ecosse ES4.45 would be worth 2nd hand as its never on ebay and I tend to under value 2nd hand stuff:scratch:

Peter Stockwell
30-03-2010, 10:57
I have never tried Naim cable and would suggest you continue use that for a few months so you get a feel for the sound with your new speakers then try new cables (Black mambas;)).

Yes, a lot to be said for that. It's just that the F connectors won't span the space between the biwire terminals, and I'm reluctant to cut off the extra banana plug and use the brass plates, at least not in the beginning.

REM
30-03-2010, 11:43
Hi Peter,

You could just unscrew the F-connector 'body' and cut a little lengthwise down the A5 so allowing the banana plugs to be more widely spaced. (Don't forget to make a note of which is + and -).

Cheers.

Peter Stockwell
30-03-2010, 12:18
Hi Peter,

You could just unscrew the F-connector 'body' and cut a little lengthwise down the A5 so allowing the banana plugs to be more widely spaced. (Don't forget to make a note of which is + and -).

Cheers.

ah, ben, non. Because the connectors are soldered, I suppose I could do it myself, though. Except I hate using a soldering iron.

Peter Stockwell
30-03-2010, 13:45
I've been digging around, I think those "Black Mamba" cables are made by Choseal, becasue of seen W&M audio LS-01 cable that looks very much like it. The W&M cable is the subject of some discussion

Peter Stockwell
31-03-2010, 12:52
I'm going to get my NACA5 changed to match the spacing on the new speaks, the dealer will do that free of charge, looks like my best solution for now.

The demo was with CD5XS, Nait 5XS and Cardas cabling, Naim has come a long way.

REM
31-03-2010, 13:48
Those Naim connectors shouldn't be soldered, just take the top off the 'plug' and push the right angled banana through the plate.

Cheers

Peter Stockwell
31-03-2010, 14:14
Ralph,

The F connectors I have are soldered naim pins, or at least that's what they look like. In any case they are soldered. The dealer is going to fix them for me, though.

Have three weeks to wait for the speaks.

Peter Stockwell
13-04-2010, 12:38
Speakers are at the dealers, now I have to wait until saturday!

Effem
05-06-2010, 09:42
I am still using a set of Black Mamba's in my system and have no desire to change them. What I love about them most is that they don't emphasize any area of the sound and sound great from top treble to bottom basslines. Bear in mind too that I have had everything from Japanese Audio Note downwards in my system.

I also like the ability to swap from spades to bananas by unscrewing/screwing on the terminals you want. I bought mine cheap off ebay with some of the bananas missing, but a very nice man at Greenhome Electronics send me some FOC in the post. Top man.

jandl100
05-06-2010, 11:49
Hey, Frank's turned up here.

Hi Frank. :wave:

Effem
06-06-2010, 06:44
Hiya Jerry, what a civilised place to meet you old bean. I just mentioned the dreaded "C" word in my posting above and the sky hasn't fallen in. Marvellous.
:)

Marco
06-06-2010, 07:16
Hiya Jerry, what a civilised place to meet you old bean. I just mentioned the dreaded "C" word in my posting above and the sky hasn't fallen in. Marvellous.

Get used to it, dude ;)

Marco.

Effem
06-06-2010, 08:02
Get used to it, dude ;)

Marco.

It is very refreshing Marco to find a forum where anyone's opinion is accepted exactly for what it is - an opinion. I don't mind anyone putting forward a counter to that opinion provided they don't resort to dogma or personal insult and I will qualify that further by saying most of that dogma is based upon third party opinion or data - mostly incorrect. For example, I have been many times now been accused of having "experimenter expectation", "placebo" and a raft of other irrelevant conditions, but when put under the microscope none of these has been tested beyond one or two instances at most, none of the protagonists has provided objective data to support their statements either, so how I can continue to be "placebo'ed" after 40 odd years and many THOUSANDS of cables later is simply beyond any normal comprehension.

That argument aside, I still enjoy my hobby for exactly what it is and resent anyone who tries to invade that simple private and uncomplicated pleasure with their own brand of stupidity - I see it no other way. It is tedious, pointless and counter-productive.

I hold people like Jerry in very high regard because he has managed to extend his hobby way way out from one set of "residential" boxes, to having the balls to seek out lesser known components and throwing them into the mix to see what transpires. You don't get a coconut with every throw of the ball of course, but I can relate to the excitement he must feel when the courier knocks on his door. The man should be knighted :)

Nick
06-06-2010, 09:51
They look like very interesting speakers, Peter. I do like the widebander concept myself and it will interesting to hear how you get on when you have them at home.

I haven't got much to add on the cable front but I do side with Marco in not being a fan of bi-wiring. Far better to replace the cheapy links with some jumpers (not woolly ones btw ;)) IMO

Themis
06-06-2010, 10:12
It is very refreshing Marco to find a forum where anyone's opinion is accepted exactly for what it is - an opinion. I don't mind anyone putting forward a counter to that opinion provided they don't resort to dogma or personal insult and I will qualify that further by saying most of that dogma is based upon third party opinion or data - mostly incorrect.
A bit OOT, this sums up my opinion, too.
It is interesting to notice that a lot of dogmas are based on the same subjective mechanisms as the ones they try to counter/organize/render "objective". ;)

DSJR
06-06-2010, 13:49
Where to put the crossover in a two-way. Does it go right where the ear is most sensitive (2 - 4KHz) or does it go in the lower midrange where the passive network will have significant overlap a decade or so above and below (crossover at 200Hz will have overlap from 100 to 400Hz).

It's all a compromise, whatever option you go for.

Interesting to hear what the long term effects of a "different" presentation will bring :)