PDA

View Full Version : some cool pics

goraman
30-03-2010, 05:57
first chili pics

goraman
30-03-2010, 06:00
Drual over this...
7 cheese,and lots of italian sausage,pepperoni,artichoke hearts,boild eggs,mushrooms and all fresh homemade sauce from roma tomatos localy grown.

Themis
30-03-2010, 08:36
Very nice pics Jeff. ;)

Gee ! How many of you were there for lunch ? :eek:
If you can post your chili recipe, I'm interested. :)

Dave Cawley
30-03-2010, 08:41
Can I come too please?

Regards

Dave

Marco
30-03-2010, 09:48
Looks superb, Jeff - and great to see someone actually cooking proper food these days, rather than heating up some microwave/ready-meal shite!! :)

Respect! :cool:

Marco.

REM
30-03-2010, 11:32
Great piccies, I have 2 bhut jalokia (aka Dorset Naga) dried chillies soaking as I type waiting to go into a chilli-con-carne this afternoon.

Will let you know how it goes, assuming I survive the experience of course, wish me luck!:lol:

(For comparison, the bhut jalokia, or jolokia, measures 800,000/1,000,000 SCH, Tabasco Sauce is about 2,500/5,000 SCU. These are seriously hot chillies.)

Haselsh1
30-03-2010, 15:14
My local Indian restaurant does a fab curry with Naga chillies. The restaurant is Spice 4U in Pickering, North Yorkshire. Shite name, fab restaurant with loads of atmosphere. I just thought I'd give them a mention if that's OK.

Alex_UK
31-03-2010, 21:26
This thread is not helping a fat basterd on a diet! Still, no calories if you just look! (Where's the :dribble: smiley when you need it? ;))

goraman
01-04-2010, 04:03
Here it is Themis,My Fathers Chilli Recipe.I noticed you are in France,this should be easy for you then.I have just started cooking French food and love it.My French Recipes mostly come from 2 books The New Larousse Gastronomique and my origanal 1961 Mastering the art of French cooking by Julia Child.If you look closely in the pics you will see my grandmothers handmedown copper French skillet (back left burner) It's very very old.
First you need a very large stock pot 22qt. to 26 qt.
Mine here is 22 and is really to small.
10 pounds of very lean ground beef.
and 5 pounds ground pork.
10 medium onions.
2 scallots
4 red Bell peppers
4 green bell peppers
10 pounds diced Roma tomatos.
a 5 qt. pressure cooker full of pre soaked kidny beans. pressure cook till tender.(sorry I just fill my 5qt.cooker from a large bag of dried kidny beans but 8 to 10 large cans of them would do it.)
make homeade tomato sauce from scratch by boiling,peeling and pureeing around 20 to 25 Roma tomatos and doing a reduction or get 8 8oz. cans of tomato sauce.
5 table spoons chilli powder.
fresh Basil to taste or 5 to 6 teaspoons dried.
3 tea spoons black pepper
5 tea spoons salt.
5 cloves minced garlic.
1 tea spoon minced ginger
1 dash of curry powder
1 dash tamric powder
1/2 pint of good ale or 1/2 cup dry red wine

First chopp the bell peppers,onions,scallots,ginger and garlic then sautee them.
Brown all the meat and drain the fat off.
combine the rest and simmer for 2 hours or longer till flavors are integrated well.

All the spices listed can be increased acording to your taste,this is just the base but do not add anything till simmering is compleate as the flavor changes while cooking to a small degree.In most cases these spices will do it as they are.:cool:ENJOY (you can put it in 1 quart plastic containers and freeze it for chilli all winter long.I do the same thing with soups so my wife and I can always have good hot soup or chilli with dinner every night,You can scoop out a big round loaf of sour dough bread pour in the chilli and put graded cheese and chives over the top and chow down.

Themis
01-04-2010, 08:10
Thank you muchos for the recipe !!! :)
I'll make it soon and report back.

(didn't even know that a "French" skillet existed ! :eek:)

Talking about recipe books, for everyday French cooking a good one is "Les recettes faciles" by Françoise Bernard. ;)

goraman
01-04-2010, 08:27
OOPS I DOUBBLE CLICKED MODERATOR HELP PLEASE!!Should I have said fry pan, I am not sure but it looks like old Mauvil,I'm sure to have spelled it wrong.
If you do make your own tomato sauce it helps to cut a small X just in the skin,bring the water to a boil and just leave them in till the skins get good and loose and they will almost fall off with little to no effort.
I don't know if the french have a better way of peeling a tomato,they seem to know more about cooking than any other country in the world though.Seems every food in the world has some French infuance.

Themis
01-04-2010, 08:41
Should I have said fry pan, I am not sure but it looks like old Mauvil,I'm sure to have spelled it wrong.
If you do make your own tomato sauce it helps to cut a small X just in the skin,bring the water to a boil and just leave them in till the skins get good and loose and they will almost fall off with little to no effort.
I don't know if the french have a better way of peeling a tomato,they seem to know more about cooking than any other country in the world though.Seems every food in the world has some French infuance.
No, this is the only way of easily peeling a tomato. ;)

And if one day you don't want to pre-soak dry beans (or if they haven't soaked for 24hrs , as needed) then, here's a trick:
You put them (in cold water) to boil for 15-20 minutes.
Then, you change the water and you boil them normally as if they had been soaked. ;)

(EDIT: you didn't double-click, it's a forum bug. Just hit "Edit my post" then press the "Delete" button)

Themis
02-04-2010, 17:36
Chili planned for tomorrow !!! :cool:

goraman
02-04-2010, 19:28
You can scale the recipe down to a smaller pot.
I have always been accused of cooking to much.
I live in a condo and often cook with the windows open to keep the house cool, soon all my neighbors have a bowl too.So it works out.

Themis
02-04-2010, 19:45
:)

REM
03-04-2010, 08:36
Chili planned for tomorrow !!! :cool:

Warning DO NOT use bhut jolokia chillies, it wont just be your ears that are steaming if you do!:steam:;).

Themis
04-04-2010, 12:50
Here it is Themis,My Fathers Chilli Recipe.I noticed you are in France,this should be easy for you then.I have just started cooking French food and love it.My French Recipes mostly come from 2 books The New Larousse Gastronomique and my origanal 1961 Mastering the art of French cooking by Julia Child.If you look closely in the pics you will see my grandmothers handmedown copper French skillet (back left burner) It's very very old.
First you need a very large stock pot 22qt. to 26 qt.
Mine here is 22 and is really to small.
10 pounds of very lean ground beef.
and 5 pounds ground pork.
10 medium onions.
2 scallots
4 red Bell peppers
4 green bell peppers
10 pounds diced Roma tomatos.
a 5 qt. pressure cooker full of pre soaked kidny beans. pressure cook till tender.(sorry I just fill my 5qt.cooker from a large bag of dried kidny beans but 8 to 10 large cans of them would do it.)
make homeade tomato sauce from scratch by boiling,peeling and pureeing around 20 to 25 Roma tomatos and doing a reduction or get 8 8oz. cans of tomato sauce.
5 table spoons chilli powder.
fresh Basil to taste or 5 to 6 teaspoons dried.
3 tea spoons black pepper
5 tea spoons salt.
5 cloves minced garlic.
1 tea spoon minced ginger
1 dash of curry powder
1 dash tamric powder
1/2 pint of good ale or 1/2 cup dry red wine

First chopp the bell peppers,onions,scallots,ginger and garlic then sautee them.
Brown all the meat and drain the fat off.
combine the rest and simmer for 2 hours or longer till flavors are integrated well.

All the spices listed can be increased acording to your taste,this is just the base but do not add anything till simmering is compleate as the flavor changes while cooking to a small degree.In most cases these spices will do it as they are.:cool:ENJOY (you can put it in 1 quart plastic containers and freeze it for chilli all winter long.I do the same thing with soups so my wife and I can always have good hot soup or chilli with dinner every night,You can scoop out a big round loaf of sour dough bread pour in the chilli and put graded cheese and chives over the top and chow down.
Tried today.

Fresh tomatoes are not quite what they should be at this season. Red wine was a Côte-du-Rhône (Combes St Sauveur cuvée spéciale). Finished the wine while eating. :)

Very good recipe, Jeff. Your father was right passing it to you. Wish you both a long, happy life. ;)

Rare Bird
04-04-2010, 18:10
This thread is not helping a fat basterd on a diet!

:lolsign:

Best i get cracking, Home made burgers with fried onions tonight for us. Skipping Sunday Dinner today :lol:

Marco
04-04-2010, 19:32
Home-made burgers, Andre - yum yum! :)

Jeff,

When you get a chance, please post your excellent chilli recipe here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=111151#post111151

Cheers :cool:

Marco.

goraman
04-04-2010, 20:36
Glad you enjoyed it,My father is Passed on but wold love to know his Chili is being eaten in France! Thanks you Dimitri and Same to you!

goraman
04-04-2010, 22:44
Hows this ...
One batch with steak another is sea food only with whole roasted Garlic cloves soaked 3 days in a Dry Red Sirah wine.

Techno Commander
28-06-2010, 21:58
That pizza looks epic. :)

goraman
28-06-2010, 23:53
That pizza looks epic. :)

Pizza?

Alex_UK
29-06-2010, 05:27
Post #2 does look very similar to a Pepperoni pizza, I think. With a very deep bass, of course! (a sub-pizza?) :)

Techno Commander
29-06-2010, 17:40
It looked like a tin full of very deep pan to me.

I had been drinking though. :)