PDA

View Full Version : AKG K501 + Stan's TC-7520 = ?????

Krisbee
29-03-2010, 16:08
If anybody is using, or has used, a pair of AKG K501 headphones I'd be interested in your opinions.

I bought a pair of Senn HD595 new for half-price about 18 months ago. I didn't have a dedicated headphone amp and they are easy to drive and were thought to be decent all rounders. I've enjoyed using them with Stan's TC-7520 (fitted with LM4562NA) but they are little dark for me, and perhaps not especially suited to classical music.

The K501 would only be availabe s/hand, but you do see the ocassional pair on sale. My main questions are:

1. Do they deserve their “concert hall headphones” label?

2. At 120ohm will the Stan DAC/headphone amp be able to drive them adequately?

3. They are supposedly bass shy, does this really matter in the case of listening to classical music?

4. Should I just keep saving, assuming I live long enough, for a pair of K701?

Over to you ...

John
29-03-2010, 18:06
Chris
Ahh really interesting I had a 701 and now have a HD595 and I am a lot more happier with it
A lot more fun and eaiser to drive but the 701 is more refined

Nigel
29-03-2010, 22:56
I love the K501, they are the second best headphones I've ever used.

Krisbee
30-03-2010, 08:07
Nigel,

How do/did you drive them, and what kind of music do you listen to?

Nigel
30-03-2010, 09:02
Hi,

I used them powered by a Graham Slee Solo. Musical tastes include, prog rock, smooth jazz, fusion, new wave, soul, jazz funk, classic rock.

StanleyB
30-03-2010, 09:18
I drive a set of K701 on my modded Caiman without any bass shyness. I read many times that the K701/TC-7520 sounds very similar to the Graham Slee. So I reckon that the Caiman and modded Caiman are an improvement over the Graham Slee. Anyone compared the Caiman to the Graham Slee?

Krisbee
30-03-2010, 19:37
Thanks Stan, but it's the K501 headphone a need feedback on. I think the K701 is a different beast with lower nominal impedance etc. I'm sure your kit will cope fine, but some user experience would be re-assuring.

quadsugdenman
15-04-2010, 21:05
Hi Chris,
I've just stumbled over this thread. I use the K501's and I have just bought a Caiman Stanbox. The Caiman set about 1 to 2 o clock numbs my ears using the K501's!!! Unless you want to 'ding' your ear drums the Stanbox/K501's achieves more than adequate sound levels. However, if it is deep bass you want forget it. It is Grado or Seinheiser's if you want that level of very deep base. I think the K501's give a very balanced sound with a very open and airy mid range. The K501's are better suited to classical music, acoustic / smooth jazz and give a very open presentation through the Stanbox. I heard a concert recording this morning on Radio 3 that really was frighteningly real!!My Bill Evans CD 'Live at the Village Vanguard' was outstanding. However on BBC 6Music the combination sounded 'confused' on loud rock/new music. I personally can recommend the Stanbox/K501's if it is classical / light jazz music you wish to listen to.
The K701's are also good with that airey mid range but did not give me that same experience when tried some time ago via a Creek headphone amp.
Hope this helps
Garry:)

Krisbee
16-04-2010, 16:37
Thanks for your feedback, which seems to confirm the K501 reputation as “concert hall headphones” suited to classical music. I'm not sure I'm ever going to find a pair now though.

Maximum
24-04-2010, 13:00
I've been quite happy with my Grados, and just pulled the trigger on some SR-325is :rolleyes:

quadsugdenman
27-04-2010, 10:35
Hi Rob
ALL mentioned here are very good 'phones, but we each have different perceptions of what we think particular types of music should sound like. I am not saying that any of the phones mentioned here do not sound good, merely that they sound different to my (and other people's) ears.

Garry:)

Maximum
27-04-2010, 16:30
Hi Garry,

I didn't think you were putting the phones down or anything. Mostly my post was a shameless "oh dear I've just dropped 300 quid on headphones" post. ;)

quadsugdenman
28-04-2010, 14:40
Hi Rob,
No offence taken!! I really don't think you will regret your purchase once you've listened to them. I've listened to most of those listened in the thread and LIKED THEM ALL for one reason or another but chose what I have. I've had the AKG 501's a while and would like to have the 701's but the 'Fuehrer' has threatened me with mass invasions of local department stores or shopping raids on Sheffield or the Metro Centre to even things up!!!:(:(
Enjoy your purchases
Garry

Maximum
30-04-2010, 17:26
Delivery was attempted on them but they got sent back to the depot, which is in Nottingham, about 20 mins away from the place that shipped them. :doh:

Today I was also reminded why I generally skip the subject of hifi with joe public. One of my workmates caught me checking delivery status, quickly leading to questions on what I had bought and how much it cost, soon spreading the word to the other two. Some questions from the the 21 year old female of the group (who to be fair isn't the most knowledgeable of the group, she thought Edinburgh was near London at one point) made me cringe...

Her: Why do they cost 300 quid?
Me: Because of the sound quality
Her: Are they over ear ones?
Me: Yea they are Hifi headphones
Her: Ipod headphones?
Me: No, Hifi headphones.
Her: What's Hifi?
Me: *Lost for words*
Her: So they cost 300 hundred quid and they don't have bluetooth or anything like that?
Me: No they just sound good
Her: Well personally I'd rather spend five quid on crap ones than spend 300 quid

:doh:

Alex_UK
30-04-2010, 23:20
I think I married her older sister! ("You went to Torquay for your holiday - WOW, I always wanted to go to Japan!")

fmzip
14-06-2010, 01:54
Delivery was attempted on them but they got sent back to the depot, which is in Nottingham, about 20 mins away from the place that shipped them. :doh:

Today I was also reminded why I generally skip the subject of hifi with joe public. One of my workmates caught me checking delivery status, quickly leading to questions on what I had bought and how much it cost, soon spreading the word to the other two. Some questions from the the 21 year old female of the group (who to be fair isn't the most knowledgeable of the group, she thought Edinburgh was near London at one point) made me cringe...

Her: Why do they cost 300 quid?
Me: Because of the sound quality
Her: Are they over ear ones?
Me: Yea they are Hifi headphones
Her: Ipod headphones?
Me: No, Hifi headphones.
Her: What's Hifi?
Me: *Lost for words*
Her: So they cost 300 hundred quid and they don't have bluetooth or anything like that?
Me: No they just sound good
Her: Well personally I'd rather spend five quid on crap ones than spend 300 quid

:doh:

That is SO funny and accurate!