PDA

View Full Version : Am i going in the right direction with my 1210?

colinB
21-03-2010, 21:42
Hello everybody. New to the forum and couldnt wait to get started so im starting a thread on my Technics deck. This is my first TT and ive had such good results so far it reminds me when i bought my first HiFi from Richer Sounds all those years ago. Im completely absorbed in my HiFi hobby again but im most likely winging it most of the time.
I bought my mk3 from a guy who referbs them and maintains decks for nightclubs so my model has some scars and bruises. I like the fact its got a bit of a dj history, it has a bit of nostalgia to it if that makes sense.
It sits on top of my music works Quadraspire rack which i bought shoe demo from E bay. Its a strange rack, ill try and upload pictures soon but basically its perspex and the top shelf sits on perspex pegs to isolate ti from the aluminuim rods. This results in a wobbly rack and a top shelf that bevels once the technics sits on it! It never looks that comfortable to be honest. To improve things i stuck some focalpods from my cd player into the techy feet.
Then i changed the cart to a ortofon 2m blue and stuck it on a sumiko head. That was a massive change and now the deck easily out performs my Arcam player. I still dont know what side i stand on the vinyl or digital opinions but i only but vinyl now because its easier to listen to.
I then got an iconaudio phonostage ( lovely sound stage ) and my last purchase was a sds mat made especially for the technics platter with a 3mm funk archomat on top ( e bay bargain) . That changed the sound allthough i cant tell if its for the better to be honest.
Any way thats where i stand at the moment and ive no complaints but please pass your critic, any direction would be most welcome. Thanks all

chris@panteg
21-03-2010, 21:52
Hi Colin

Those Foculpods ' have you got them placed just under the original feet ? if so try removing the original feet and slot the focul's into the recess ' its one of Dave Cawley's recommended tweeks ' .

Also the SDS mat does that fit the platter perfectly i.e inside the outer rim ? .

Chris

colinB
21-03-2010, 21:56
Thanks for the tip. Yeah the sds is 285mm and fits inside the funny lip that people talk about on vinyl engine.

chris@panteg
21-03-2010, 22:10
Oh excellent you should be getting the full benefit of the SDS then ' does it kill the ringing completely ?

Let us know how you get on with the Foculpods ' it should make a difference:)

Have you considered the PSU upgrades that are available and the Main Bearing ? these make dramatic improvements ' it just depends if you want to go down this road ' i think its well worth it ;)

colinB
21-03-2010, 22:26
To be honest i didnt notice the ringing in the first place. When i first played the deck it just sounded so smooth compared with my cd set up that it was a revelation. Ive just changed the focalpods however and it does sound better. The psu is on my shopping list. The folks on vinyl engine are very snidey about the timestep psu but every other TT user , be it a Linn or whatever, the first major tweak they do is upgrade the power supply so why should it be any different on a technics. No , im saving my pennies for that one , dont worry.

chris@panteg
21-03-2010, 22:36
Colin ' some of those folks on VE are simply out to undermine Dave ' just ignore them ;).

Take it from me the 1210 once modified is a pretty damn fine way of playing ye olde vinyl LP , if you start with the Timestep psu ' PM Dave Cawley he will give you discount ' won't you Dave :).

colinB
21-03-2010, 22:42
Are the Timestep people normally at the show? I was keen on going mainly to buy some records but if they have a stall i might have to ivest in some tweakery.

Dave Cawley
21-03-2010, 22:42
Yes of course. And VE have just given me my own area! As usual, we will be at the show.

Dave

chris@panteg
21-03-2010, 22:48
Hi Dave

I am going ' i will pop over to your stand and say hi ' any news on the arm ?

colinB
21-03-2010, 22:50
Oh dear, now where did i hide that credit card.
By the way, quick rant. Im listening to the Guy Garvey show on bbc6 music ( on freeview, not that nasty DAB i wasted money on) and i cant believe the beeb are scraping this great station. Better than radio 2 or any thing else on the wireless. Gutted! Thanks, rant over.

The Vinyl Adventure
22-03-2010, 01:27
Snap, kinda

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/e9058576.jpg

My tt is with dave a the mo after my cats killed it, but the timestep was one of the first things I did ... Very very efective upgrade!!

MartinT
22-03-2010, 07:40
Hi Colin

The TimeStep PSU will make a big difference when you're ready for it. Plenty of us here to give you guidance as you slowly improve your Techie, it's one of the best platforms out there.

Sounds like a few of us are going to the show, probably will be seen milling around Dave's Sound Hi-Fi stand. See you there!

Dave Cawley
22-03-2010, 07:54
Feel free to use my stand as a meeting point. We should be in the very wide corridor to the left of the entrance and on the way to the record vendors.

Alex and I will be there to amuse you.

Regards

Dave

colinB
22-03-2010, 14:55
Hey Hamish youve got a wibbly wobbly quad rack to!
I was beginning to think i had been sold a strange one of prototype.

The Vinyl Adventure
22-03-2010, 19:15
Steve toy has one too buddy, steve even has the "guitar" shaped shelves
Mines mostly quadraspire q4 ref with just the little music works top shelf spikes... Steve could tell you more about it all... All I know is it seemed to make my hifi sound better and my missis hates it :)
seems to be very highly regarded stuff matey, a guy in my local audio t says in his experience it quite easily out does anything else he has come across... Happy days :)

colinB
22-03-2010, 19:49
You know its wierd, i got it to replace a sound origanisation rack which had glass shelves. The shelves would vibrate when buses drove past so i keep it for AV duties now, but i cant remember noiticing the difference!
Where as i bought a £200 Merlin mains block to replace a cheapish Isotek jobby and it sounded like i had upgraded my amp. I cant explain that and i wouldnt normally share that on a forum for fear of getting lynched by the cable mafia.
Makes me wonder if i should get a super duper cable for my new phono stage.
A lot of guys on the forum seem to rate this Mark Grant company but i dont want to distract from the PSU. I read about the Timestep in Hi Fi world and the regulator issue makes sense. Im no audio expert but i was a spark years ago so i sort of follow the arguement.