PDA

View Full Version : Mains Regeneration

Ammonite Audio
12-03-2010, 20:22
I have crap mains, it seems, and I cannot do anything about it. Except, perhaps try mains regeneration, eg the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. I know that Martin T has one; and that HiFi Critic were reasonably full of praise about it. What's the general opinion of this sort of thing? Has anyone used one for any length of time?

Ammonite Audio
12-03-2010, 20:47
I should have posted this in the Artist's Palette. Marco - could you move it?

Thanks

John
13-03-2010, 00:07
Well my advice is try in your home and see how it works in your system. Also consider balanced mains as well
I used a PS Audio P500 that was pretty good and had no reliablity issues

HighFidelityGuy
06-04-2010, 11:45
Check out the PurePower (http://www.purepoweraps.com/) line of products. They're available from Angel Sound Audio (http://www.angelsoundaudio.co.uk/).
Unlike any other mains regeneration product I'm aware of they also contain a bank of batteries that can keep your system running in a power cut and prevent it from being suddenly switched off. More importantly the batteries are also used to supplement the mains input, so the regenerated output can actually supply more current than the wall socket! I'm hoping to try out one of their 2000i later in the year. In theory they should be the best mains regeneration product available but the proof is in the eating. :)

twelvebears
06-04-2010, 16:22
Probably with pointing out that the other obvious alternative, the PS Audio Power Plant Premier, has seemingly exhibited some weird reliability issues AND the odd unit actually MULTIPLES of the THD in the regenerated output.

See this thread with postings from AOS's own Howard Popeck.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/forum/viewthread/457/

John
06-04-2010, 18:34
very interesting read

MartinT
08-04-2010, 19:07
I've said it all before but to repeat my experience: the PS Audio line and the PPP in particular do the job outstandingly well. I have my entire system connected to it (including the power amp) and it provides clean power with a reduction in THD. I have had no reliability issues either with the Premier or my previous P-300. The benefits are huge to the point where I would not consider a component upgrade before using one of these in my system.

'nuff said.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
30-04-2010, 10:59
Check out the
PurePower (http://www.purepoweraps.com/) line of products. They're available from Angel Sound Audio (http://www.angelsoundaudio.co.uk/).
Unlike any other mains regeneration product I'm aware of they also contain a bank of batteries that can keep your system running in a power cut and prevent it from being suddenly switched off. More importantly the batteries are also used to supplement the mains input, so the regenerated output can actually supply more current than the wall socket! I'm hoping to try out one of their 2000i later in the year. In theory they should be the best mains regeneration product available but the proof is in the eating. :)

Hi Guys

Just found this thread so a bit of a late comer.

Just a quick post to back up Dave's HFG comments.

I have 2 of the PurePower 1050 units and have used them in a number of different systems and configurations. I have always had very positive results. I run my entire system off them. They have also been put into other music systems and again had the positive outcome.

Try one on a Plasma or LCD TV and see what you get, I was impressed with the results. The shop that installed my TV couldn't believe the results and he had been installing TV's and AV systems for years.

I'm well pleased with mine and would reccomend getting a listen to one if you can. Keith at Angelsound is a good guy to deal with.

Andy - SDDW

dave2010
30-04-2010, 16:56
I have 2 of the PurePower 1050 units and have used them in a number of different systems and configurations. I have always had very positive results. I run my entire system off them. They have also been put into other music systems and again had the positive outcome.

Try one on a Plasma or LCD TV and see what you get, I was impressed with the results. The shop that installed my TV couldn't believe the results and he had been installing TV's and AV systems for years.

I'm well pleased with mine and would reccomend getting a listen to one if you can. Keith at Angelsound is a good guy to deal with.

Andy - SDDW
I'm really puzzled as to why changes to the mains should make such a difference as you claim, unless you have really bad mains to start with.

Has anyone here been mad enough to put photo-voltaics on their roof and to use a DC->AC inverter? The "mains" quality is then supposed to be very good.

Ali Tait
30-04-2010, 17:03
Would depend on the inverter I guess,most put out an awful sine wave,more like a saw tooth.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
30-04-2010, 20:24
Hi Dave

I don't know the reasons why the Pure Power gear works or how it does it. It just gives great results in my system. Why not drop them a line and see if you can get some technical explanation out of them. If you could then put it into plain English that would be great.

I do have a known mains problem where I live, maybe that's why it works for me.
The immediate area has a known spike interference on the mains which will not be sorted too soon. No big issue I am told.

Andy - SDDW