PDA

View Full Version : HD681’s – Headphone bargain of the century?

ReachtheSky
02-03-2010, 04:31
I have recently been reading, from various sources, the great enthusiasm expressed about these very affordable “giant killers” from Superlux and was hoping that some of our AOS member who have auditioned these headphones might give us their own views?

From recent posts I believe Covenant, Gazjam and Hamish have tried them “as is’ and may have had mods carried out also with good success?

The Superlux site provide three model variations, with comments as follows:

HD681 – with Deep low frequency
For an “On stage’ sound = classical music & large ensembles (jazz?)

HD681F – with Flat extended frequency response.
For a “Front row” sound image = pop music and vocals

HD681B – with Balanced character and powerful bass punch
For an “In hall” feel = rock music / exciting performances

These three sonic signatures appear to cover 95% + of all bases for most of us!

To date most web comments appear to be based on the HD681 model only.
Can anybody please inform me where one may be able to obtain the other models - HD681F & HD681B?
What would be particularly appealing would be a deal to buy all three models together (for the different sonic signatures) at an even better rate – wishful thinking!

Regarding the mods that have been carried out to HD681’s, (for both Covenant and Hamish I think?), I wonder if such mods were done to “effectively change the signature sound of the base HD681’s” to that of one of the other model variations above (HD681F for a more pop music/vocal signature, or HD681B for a more rock music signature)?

Any feedback would be much appreciated,
Granville

Covenant
02-03-2010, 08:17
Guilty as charged.
My experience YMMV-The standard 681's were a big disappointment to me. The treble was excessive and masked the bass, sibilance irritated me all the time. A week or two of use improved things a little but I had resigned myself to the fact that they were a budget offering and not up to the rest of my system.
Then I was advised to have a look at the mod thread on Rock Grotto. You can read it for yourself but sufficient to say that the filter significantly reduced the excessive treble and has allowed the bass full reign. I have replaced the leatherette pads with velour ones and these are much more comfortable.
I still experience a little sibilance but a change of op-amp in my Standac may help. Giant killers? I dont know as I haven't really listened to Giants but with the mods they are certainly value for money.

ReachtheSky
02-03-2010, 09:15
Thanks Jerry
Granville

HighFidelityGuy
02-03-2010, 10:23
I had a listen to Dave Clarke's fully modded 681's last Thursday and I thought they sounded pretty good. The separation between instruments etc was very good, with extended and controlled bass and very detailed top end. I could imagine that some music may bring out some sibilance but I didn't hear any in the admittedly very quick audition I had. Overall they made my iGrado's sound quite flat and lifeless. I think Dave said that with all the mods taken into account they cost him about £60 which is about twice what my iGrado's cost, so they should sound a bit better really.

So I'd say they're worth a try. I'd certainly be interested in trying the other models for comparison. :)

ReachtheSky
02-03-2010, 22:35
Thanks Dave.
Sounds like a lot of mods required, as it increased the base price by a factor of about three!
Granville

The Vinyl Adventure
02-03-2010, 22:54
My mods cost me about £10...
I'm gonna have a bit more of a listen with the caiman, and comment a bit ferther when I can find my 6.3mm adapter... Listening I did when I first got the filter certainly seemed very positive with the caiman but since then I have mostly used them with the iPhone and although still evident is less pronounced
even that little bit of listening still would give me enough to say they are worth while for the money, and if you don't go down the asthetics and comfort upgrade route you don't need to spend as much as an extra £40 to get a quite aparent upgrade in sound!

ReachtheSky
03-03-2010, 10:37
That sounds appealing Hamish.
I shall probably give it a go.
Thanks Granville

HighFidelityGuy
03-03-2010, 10:42
I've just heard from Dave Clarke that the biggest expense for him was getting new AKG 701 ear pads fitted, that accounted for over half the cost. Other than that he fitted new cables and had some kind of filters fitted to improve the sound.

So the price of the upgrades can be kept quite low.

The Vinyl Adventure
03-03-2010, 10:44
it shouldnt be forgotten that they are pretty good out the box anyway....

HighFidelityGuy
03-03-2010, 11:02
it shouldnt be forgotten that they are pretty good out the box anyway....

Good point.
On the subject of that, does anyone know where the other models in the 681 range can be purchased as I'd be interested in trying them out?

I had a quick Google search but only the standard 681's seem to be stocked. :(

Cheers. :)

leo
03-03-2010, 14:47
I've been thinking of trying these cans, keep seeing the words sibilance puts me off tbh. the filter mods are easy enough to do though

The Vinyl Adventure
03-03-2010, 14:49
£20!

leo
03-03-2010, 16:54
Yes, if their shit they can just go in the bin:lol:

Gazjam
03-03-2010, 16:58
Not heard them myself, but heard good things about them?

Dave Clarke (in true AOS spirit...) is going to to loan me them for a few days to let me see for myself what the fuss is about once his Bdac is upgraded with the Mutara regs and Rubicon caps.

Not a big headphone user, but had a pair of Sennie HD650s back in the day, and Im looking to get a good set of cans.

Good ole' Dave! :)

The Vinyl Adventure
03-03-2010, 17:10
Yes, if their shit they can just go in the bin:lol:

exactamundo

Themis
03-03-2010, 20:12
Nothing beats ATH-M50, at or under its price, afaik. ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
03-03-2010, 20:50
Do you know what, I'm gonna be completely honest, I have just spent half an hour with the sr125's and the 681's trying to listen to headphones anlytically ... I don't think you should listen much to my opinion on head phone's I don't think I know what's better and what's worse... Very confusing!

The Vinyl Adventure
03-03-2010, 21:22
Do you know what, I'm gonna be completely honest, I have just spent half an hour with the sr125's and the 681's trying to listen to headphones anlytically ... I don't think you should listen much to my opinion on head phone's I don't think I know what's better and what's worse... Very confusing!

Before posting that I thought Id walk to the pub with my Sony earbuds in ... Compared to both headphones I much prefer them
by comparison the sr125's have a muddled lower mid, and the 681's sound like someone has rather enthusiasticly been ducking around with a geq

so to sum up I now don't like either pair of my headphones and much prefer the balanced sound of my Sony earbuds...

The filter does seem to correct some of that sibilance though... At least I think it did...

I don't think I'm a good judge of headphone's so it's prob best to disregard anything I have previously said on the subject, sorry about that ;)

Rare Bird
04-03-2010, 02:46

Before posting that I thought Id walk to the pub with my Sony earbuds in ... Compared to both headphones I much prefer them
by comparison the sr125's have a muddled lower mid, and the 681's sound like someone has rather enthusiasticly been ducking around with a geq

so to sum up I now don't like either pair of my headphones and much prefer the balanced sound of my Sony earbuds...

The filter does seem to correct some of that sibilance though... At least I think it did...

I don't think I'm a good judge of headphone's so it's prob best to disregard anything I have previously said on the subject, sorry about that ;)

:lolsign: I can buy that I have a pair of tiny Sony's on my portable walk about mini disc player that sounds better than my AKG '701' phones, that is no lie..Makes you seriously think doesnt it!

Marco
04-03-2010, 08:35
Guys,

To get the most from good headphones you need an equally good quality separate headphone amp.

Headphones (especially high quality ones) are just like speakers in terms of the requirement for correct matching, as they all have different impedances and need to be driven properly by a good source and high quality dedicated amp ;)

What were you plugging the AKGs and Grados into when listening to them?

Probably the reason the Sonys sound better balanced is because they're properly matched to their intended source....

Marco.

leo
04-03-2010, 09:09
The K701's cause a lot of amps problems to drive, even the cable capacitance is high

Marco
04-03-2010, 09:21
Indeed, and they'll sound horrible on the end of the wrong amp. With the right combination though they are sublime, especially in terms of bass extension and midrange openness and clarity :)

SR-125s are more forgiving in terms of electrical matching, but ruthlessly revealing in terms of poor source equipment and/or bad recordings.

Marco.

twelvebears
10-03-2010, 18:36
Indeed, and they'll sound horrible on the end of the wrong amp. With the right combination though they are sublime, especially in terms of bass extension and midrange openness and clarity :)

SR-125s are more forgiving in terms of electrical matching, but ruthlessly revealing in terms of poor source equipment and/or bad recordings.

Marco.

I've just got a pair of K701s which I'm just driving from the socket of my Benchmark at the moment (so no vinyl at the moment :() but I'm really liking them already and they still need lots of breaking in.