PDA

View Full Version : emission labs 300B's XL's

purite audio
16-05-2008, 12:47
Just a really quick post, just received some new Emission Lab 300B's, we used them in Munich and they sounded good there , but just exchanged them for my EH gold grids and WOW what an improvement, in every respect, resolution, high and low requency extension , superb bass , when /if my WE's arrive I will compare the two, well worth a try imho.
btw I don't sell them or represent Emission labs in any way.

Ali Tait
16-05-2008, 13:36
I suspect the Emission Labs will be better than the WE.

purite audio
16-05-2008, 13:40
Ralph who makes the Cessaro speakers has compared them both, and he believes the Emissions are better, it is such a nice surprise when you discover a product that makes a real improvement isn't it?

lurcher
16-05-2008, 14:34
I did some measurements last year and found the emission labs produced lower level third and higher harmonics for the same power output compaired to EH gold grids and TJ mesh plates.

But what I did find with listening comparisons was that the lower distortion made the driver stage and the rest of the amp even more important, as the better valves allows more of the driver stage through (in effect).

Ali Tait
16-05-2008, 15:02
I understand Mo is getting some Emission labs 45's.It'll be interesting to compare them to NOS.

pure sound
16-05-2008, 15:08
I did some measurements last year and found the emission labs produced lower level third and higher harmonics for the same power output compaired to EH gold grids and TJ mesh plates.

But what I did find with listening comparisons was that the lower distortion made the driver stage and the rest of the amp even more important, as the better valves allows more of the driver stage through (in effect).

What driver stage have you preferred so far Nick? My own recent experiments have been with 71a's loaded by Tango NC-14's but I acquired some NC-20's a while back which I suspect will be something of an improvement when I eventually find the time to make room for them!

Yet to try Emission Labs although the WE's were considerably better than TJ's, KR's and EH's when we did a comparison last year.

Togil
16-05-2008, 17:01
Btw, Pure Sound, is Heco the same as Heco-Hennel from a long time ago ?
Hans

pure sound
16-05-2008, 17:23
I'm not sure but I think Heco was indeed originally Hennel & Co. I think they once made radio receivers as well as loudspeakers.

Heco, the brand, is now owned by Magnat who are a part of Audiovox. All of the product development is done at Magnat's facility in Koln. I think, when they bought the company, they didn't inherit anything else like spare parts or tooling so everything they've done since is all new. I've occasionally been asked for spare parts for some of the older Heco models but Magnat don't have any of the old drivers for them.

lurcher
16-05-2008, 18:28
What driver stage have you preferred so far Nick? My own recent experiments have been with 71a's loaded by Tango NC-14's but I acquired some NC-20's a while back which I suspect will be something of an improvement when I eventually find the time to make room for them!

Yet to try Emission Labs although the WE's were considerably better than TJ's, KR's and EH's when we did a comparison last year.

I haven't tried 71a yet, but I suspect they will sound very nice. I went through a few months seeing what I could get a 300b to do, I tried various stages, on paper a 45 via a interstage should have been the best, the 45 was certainly the lower distrortion of the drivers I tried. But actually the two bests sounds I found (to my ears) was a c3g pentode, and a 6n6p aikido with a ecc40 in the front. In all cases with a dual regulated supply driving the thing. I think I spent as much time getting the regulator to do its job without having any down side in terms of sound as I did with the driver stage. I should return to the 300b some time soon, I fancy doing something similar with a 6c33c based regulator. I have a 300b push pull to build over the next few months which will have a regulated supply, so its half way there :-).

Filterlab
17-05-2008, 09:26
I'm not sure but I think Heco was indeed originally Hennel & Co...

I would think the name lends itself to being Heco; Hennel & Co.

Togil
17-05-2008, 10:27
Good thinking !:)